Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, sorry to ask a redundant question but the search is on vacation again. What will i need to do to make my 7m oil pressure gauge work. Is it just easier to swap the 1j pressure gauge in?

~scott

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
the 1j has an oil light,no gauge.in addition to the boost gauge,it has a volt gauge.if you wired the oil light wire's to the correct plug for the gauge,your all set.all you will have to do is plug in the sensor.if you want a cheap and easy way to bolt up the 7m sender and you still have your clip.you can take the upper brake hose for the front brake caliper.its a short rubber section with a female end and a male end.you can screw it into the block,than the sender to the other end.some people might think this is a ghetto way of doing it,but its worked well for me

·
Registered
488 Posts
This thread on SM shows you pretty well how to wire it all up. BIC has a pic of it on the thread too. If all fails, aftermarket ftw.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7119&highlight=oil+pressure
Try typing in one word for the search like, Fuel, OIL, or something of that nature. It does suck for SF, but atleast all the anal stuck ups :gaysex: can't tell you to............SEARCH! :rofl:

tsuper92 said:
the 1j has an oil light,no gauge.in addition to the boost gauge,it has a volt gauge.if you wired the oil light wire's to the correct plug for the gauge,your all set.all you will have to do is plug in the sensor.if you want a cheap and easy way to bolt up the 7m sender and you still have your clip.you can take the upper brake hose for the front brake caliper.its a short rubber section with a female end and a male end.you can screw it into the block,than the sender to the other end.some people might think this is a ghetto way of doing it,but its worked well for me
^^^ that works too

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
i looked everywhere for fittings with the right thread pitch.i didn't want to order a bunch of fittings just for them to be wrong..it took me two seconds and cost me nothing.i think the lexus bolt puts the sender in a shitty place

·
Registered
488 Posts
tsuper92 said:
i looked everywhere for fittings with the right thread pitch.i didn't want to order a bunch of fittings just for them to be wrong..it took me two seconds and cost me nothing.i think the lexus bolt puts the sender in a shitty place

I haven't tried that route, I went with an aftermarket set-up w/ pressure and temp gauge. It just makes things alot easier. :)

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys ill check that link on supra mania.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Another route. I have an oil filter relocation kit, which has threaded ports on the sandwhich I screwed in the oil pressure thing and just wired it to that and my gauge works. It did until the clip fell off of the wire.

Just one way.

·
single 1j
456 Posts
tsuper92 said:
i'm in that situation, i bought that lexus bolt but im wondering if that 90 degree elbow from home depot works

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
none because home depot doesnt stock any metric hardware.

~scott

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
i think bspt is 28 tpi and standard pt is 27 tpi... you could use a standard pt fitting.. my friend used it on his clutch line against my recomendation.. but has held up fine so far...

but personally I wouldn't half ass it.. if it leaks its a PITA to get to..

·
single 1j
456 Posts
i just came from home depot and bought a 1/8 elbow, but screwing the elbow into the lexus bolt isn't an exact fit b/c after a full turn the sucker gets tight. its weird but then the screwing the sending unit into the elbow is a perfect fit. should i just force the elbow into the bolt w/ alot of teflon? any suggestions you guys?

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
slidingsidewayz said:
i just came from home depot and bought a 1/8 elbow, but screwing the elbow into the lexus bolt isn't an exact fit b/c after a full turn the sucker gets tight. its weird but then the screwing the sending unit into the elbow is a perfect fit. should i just force the elbow into the bolt w/ alot of teflon? any suggestions you guys?
it will leak.brass is real hard and the bolt is steel,so you might end up screwing up the bolt you just bought.the brake line (that i mentioned)will screw into the lexus bolt too

·
single 1j
456 Posts
tsuper92 said:
it will leak.brass is real hard and the bolt is steel,so you might end up screwing up the bolt you just bought.the brake line (that i mentioned)will screw into the lexus bolt too
how's that set up holding??

·
single 1j
456 Posts
oh n tsuper92, should i screw that brake line on to the lexus bolt? or should i just leave the original bolt on there and and bolt the brake hose line into the 1jz stock warning light like what you did. which in your opinion would be easier?

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
slidingsidewayz said:
oh n tsuper92, should i screw that brake line on to the lexus bolt? or should i just leave the original bolt on there and and bolt the brake hose line into the 1jz stock warning light like what you did. which in your opinion would be easier?
i would just screw it into the stock warning light location.i'm pretty confident in the hose because it is made to handle alot of presure.if your woried you can alway do a braided one.you can always use the lexus bolt for a mechanical gauge

·
single 1j
456 Posts
tsuper92 said:
i would just screw it into the stock warning light location.i'm pretty confident in the hose because it is made to handle alot of presure.if your woried you can alway do a braided one.you can always use the lexus bolt for a mechanical gauge
how about the heat? do you think the hose won't slowly wear after let say a couple of months or so? im willing to do this, but im kinda afraid of the hose blowing since this is my daily to work everyday. just trying to make this as reliable as possible.

·
going broke fast
2,401 Posts
slidingsidewayz said:
how about the heat? do you think the hose won't slowly wear after let say a couple of months or so? im willing to do this, but im kinda afraid of the hose blowing since this is my daily to work everyday. just trying to make this as reliable as possible.
mine has been on there for almost two years,but only about 4000 mile's.it still felt sturdy once the car is real hot .i have a braided one to put there,but i got so much other stuff i'm doing at the moment.i worrie about the braided lines feeding and returning the oil from my turbo more.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Brake lines are made to handle 2000 PSI... I think you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about the heat either. Think about hot your brake calipers get.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts