Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previous owner installed an aftermarket OEM replica wing and it came with these foam bases to keep the paint from scratching I'm guessing. Anyone has any tips on removing the crap without damaging the paint underneath? I have lightely attempted to remove it with a blade scrapper and a heat gun to no avail. Working on posting the picture of it here in a little bit.

Kruso

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
I personally would use a solvent, and then wipe it off, the foam should dissolve with a decent solvent (aka wax and grease remover) id avoid scraping to prevent possible paint damage. 3M has a product 4105 that i use at work for these problems.
If u need to scrape it use a plastic bondo spreader, or a plastic razor blade.

If you have access to it, a rubber wheel eraser will do the job quickly aswell

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally would use a solvent, and then wipe it off, the foam should dissolve with a decent solvent (aka wax and grease remover) id avoid scraping to prevent possible paint damage. 3M has a product 4105 that i use at work for these problems.
If u need to scrape it use a plastic bondo spreader, or a plastic razor blade.

If you have access to it, a rubber wheel eraser will do the job quickly aswell
3m 4105 is scotch tape... can you double check the name pls.

i would use a little acetone.had a similar problem before.dont overdo it..use it to soak the foam only.it could remove the paint
I just tried using rubbing alcahol but it's not working. I'll head to home depot to see if they have anything for me there...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
3m 4105 is scotch tape... can you double check the name pls.

I just tried using rubbing alcahol but it's not working. I'll head to home depot to see if they have anything for me there...
go with something else. like goo gone, if the stronger solvents don't work, i would try something stronger like kerosene.... just be careful not to get it on the paint, dampen a rag with it and then blot it until the foam dissolves enough to get the sticky residue off with goo gone.

i would suggest sanding away the top layer only if you feel confident enough to scrape away the top layer without damaging the paint.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The deed's done and a new factory wing is now installed. There was enough of the foam padding left on top of the lid for me to skim the top layer off by using a blade. The rest I was surprisingly about just rub away with my thumbs. It took about ten mins each side but two huge blisters later its all off. Thanks for the pointer guys.

Kruso

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
try that rubber wheel eraser. it attaches to a drill and could remove that stuff in 0.2 seconds with some goo gone.
it wont harm the paint.

works awesome to remove glue and leftover scum

sold at most places that have an auto paint/sanding/bondo isle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.