Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from the FD, the Supra feels like I'm floating over the roads. Is there anything I can do to make this car feel more in direct contact with the road other than these already planned mods: stiffer springs, front and rear braces, bigger & beefier tires on bigger wheels.

Are there any recommended coil-over solutions for this car to get rid of that body roll?

·
Registered
532 Posts
i can tell u rite now that moving up to 18 inch wheels will help you out alot...i had stock rims with dr on back, i moved up to 18x9 and 18x10 and the car feels alot firmer and planted. this weekend i will install eibach kyb/agx, so im sure it will be that much better.

·
3,148 Posts
The biggest difference is increasing the width of the front wheel/tire (regardless of whether it's 18"). Next, getting swaybars will reduce body roll and keep the car from riding the bump stops (which is does when you change to lowering springs). I would actually recommend changing the swaybars before you change the springs or shocks.

Later, Steve

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice, guys. I really appreciate it. Yet another reason to upgrade the wheels.

·
...For Me to SUP On!!
211 Posts
Steve,

I'm installing the eibach/agx combo as well as the 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 Decoltes (with 265s and 285s)... i don't have swaybars though... sounds like they would be a pretty important addition to this combo? what exactly is "riding on the bumpstops" ? do the bumpstops need some modification to go along with the eibachs?

thanks!
Jeff

·
3,148 Posts
Jeff,

You shouldn't do anything to your bump stops. I would also recommend doing the swaybars while your doing the shocks and springs.

The bumpstop (on the Supra) is a rubber bushing that goes on the small rod that goes in and out of your shock body. It is behind the rubber dust boot and very hard to see untill you remove the shock. It stops the shock from bottoming out and in the case of the Supra stops the tire from going up and hitting the top of the fender liner. You don't want your shock/spring compressing so much that the shock body is pressed into this rubber bushing (the bump stop), because the rubber effectively becomes your spring. As rubber compresses the effective spring rate goes higher and higher. This is very hard for you shock to deal with and causes a very unsettled feeling while cornering.

Hope this helps and I didn't oversimplify it.

Later, Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts