Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Custom User Title
329 Posts
I just upgraded my '95 MkIV with modified OEM clear turn signals. The modification was to remove the amber reflector/lens inside (I wanted the totally clear look, as opposed to the "fried egg" look), which are attached with a single screw.

But, to get to that screw, you have to remove the clear lens by baking the whole thing in the oven first. I baked mine at 270 degrees for 11 minutes, pried the clear lens off, quickly unscrewed the amber reflector, and compressed the clear lens back in place.

I wired mine with a variation of the instructions in this thread. I decided to go with both new (part of the new turn signals) and old (inside the headlights) parking lights lit together. It was a simple tap-in to the existing parking light wire. I used "Posi-Taps", which are much better than vampire taps.

Thanks to greggf's excellent solution for the side mounting screws. I didn't want to cut a long slot in my bumper, and I've seen some of these turn signals look droppy without the side screw attached. The only problem is that, on the OEM 97+ turn signals, the side screws don't screw out! They appear to be aluminum studs that are pressed into the plastic housing. To get them out, I heated up the stud with a grill lighter (which softened the plastic housing) and pulled them straight out. The hole I had to drill in the bumper had to be 1/2 inch. When I reassembled them from the inside of the bumper, I had to heat the stud (with the grill lighter again) for about a minute and then re-pressed it into the housing. Since it was hot, it softened the plastic housing as I pressed (holding it with pliers). I waited a few minutes for it to cool/seal, and then put on the fender washer/nut that came with the new lights.
funny i happened to find this now. i just posted in the exterior forum. why do you need to mount with the side screw? i remember looking at mine from underneath the car and thinking i could unbolt the housings, take the bulbs out go from there.

i'm more curious as to the wiring an LED in there though. assuming you go for one that's clear and lights up orange, what do you have to do special to make this work? what are "posi-taps" and where did you tap?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
why do you need to mount with the side screw?
If you only use the rear 2 mounting studs, then the new turns will "droop" since they are heavier than the old ones and the rear studs just mount to plastic bumper holes.

i remember looking at mine from underneath the car and thinking i could unbolt the housings, take the bulbs out go from there.
Don't know what you mean by this.

i'm more curious as to the wiring an LED in there though. assuming you go for one that's clear and lights up orange, what do you have to do special to make this work?
You'd probably want V-LEDs...I don't think there's anything special. They just replace the bulbs (assuming someone makes LEDs the same size and with the same mounting base as the bulbs).

what are "posi-taps" and where did you tap?
Posi-taps are available at Crutchfield (go to www.Crutchfield.com and search for them...you'll see a picture) and other places on the internet. They are the same concept as "vampire taps", but they are a better implementation. No tools required (but you do have to strip the end of the new wire).

I tapped into the existing parking light wire.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
i remember looking at mine from underneath the car and thinking i could unbolt the housings, take the bulbs out go from there.
I just read your other post in the Exterior section. If I read you right, you're talking about digging out the orange reflector thru the bulb hole, right? I actuall tried that first (with a dremel) and made a huge mess. The amber "sawdust" got in every knook and crannie in the light. And you can't unscrew the amber reflector without separating the lens from the housing, so there'll always be a little amber in there.

Fear not the baking procedure...I was scared to do this as well, but it's really easy and doesn't hurt anything.

·
Custom User Title
329 Posts
I just read your other post in the Exterior section. If I read you right, you're talking about digging out the orange reflector thru the bulb hole, right? I actuall tried that first (with a dremel) and made a huge mess. The amber "sawdust" got in every knook and crannie in the light. And you can't unscrew the amber reflector without separating the lens from the housing, so there'll always be a little amber in there.

Fear not the baking procedure...I was scared to do this as well, but it's really easy and doesn't hurt anything.
OK. and a V-LED will blink at the correct rate? I thought I remember that being one of the problems with using an LED over a halogen bulb. Could be wrong.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
OK. and a V-LED will blink at the correct rate? I thought I remember that being one of the problems with using an LED over a halogen bulb. Could be wrong.
I don't know...never tried with an LED.

·
Custom User Title
329 Posts
I don't know...never tried with an LED.
can you send me a closer picture of your turn signals? what kind of bulb did you use for the turn signal indicator? or did you keep the stock one and so the turn signal is white instead of amber?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
can you send me a closer picture of your turn signals?
Here ya go (the little bit of amber you see in the really close pictures is caused by the camera's flash...you don't see any with just your eyes):

Remember, these are OEM Toyota Supra 97+ turn signals, with the amber reflector removed.

what kind of bulb did you use for the turn signal indicator? or did you keep the stock one and so the turn signal is white instead of amber?
I used Pilot/Bully XC7440A bulbs (got them from Amazon...$3 each plus shipping). They look chrome when off, and amber when lit. I don't think white flashing is legal.

·
Custom User Title
329 Posts
I used Pilot/Bully XC7440A bulbs (got them from Amazon...$3 each plus shipping). They look chrome when off, and amber when lit. I don't think white flashing is legal.
that's the money shot. was wondering how you get around that and would rather not mess with LEDs if I don't have to for the turn signals. will probably order those.

is any brightness of the blinker lost or does it look pretty normal?

also, just to reconfirm, the amber reflector UNSCREWS, correct?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
is any brightness of the blinker lost or does it look pretty normal?
Looks normal. The chrome coating on the bulbs is like a 1-way mirror -- light gets out (amber...because the inside of the chrome coating is amber), but can't get in (so you can't see the inside of the bulb when it's lighter outside the bulb than inside it...which is always, unless the signal is blinking).

also, just to reconfirm, the amber reflector UNSCREWS, correct?
Yes...there is one screw holding the amber reflector to the inside of the housing. You have to remove the glass lens (bake in oven) to get to the screw. The reflector itself, which is kindof "cup" shaped, is not threaded or attached in any way, other than the one screw.

·
Custom User Title
329 Posts
Looks normal. The chrome coating on the bulbs is like a 1-way mirror -- light gets out (amber...because the inside of the chrome coating is amber), but can't get in (so you can't see the inside of the bulb when it's lighter outside the bulb than inside it...which is always, unless the signal is blinking).

Yes...there is one screw holding the amber reflector to the inside of the housing. You have to remove the glass lens (bake in oven) to get to the screw. The reflector itself, which is kindof "cup" shaped, is not threaded or attached in any way, other than the one screw.
Thanks to your help, I did removed the orange reflectors.

Details here: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579905

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead but are those 5 part numbers the same parts that come in the mvp signal installation kit? The reason i ask is because when i compare the two install instructions they differ quite a bit. for instance the part with the Y connection (FR Turn signal chord - 81515 - 14390) is used on the left hand side vs. the right side in the mvp website.

Is "Side turn chord - 81735 - 17070" supposed to connect to "Socket plug parking light bulb - 90075-60001"
and
"FR Turn signal wire - 82983 - 33010" supposed to connect to "Socket plug for main indicator bulb - 90075 - 99080"???

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
bump! anyone happen to have the photos that went with this write-up? MVP's new website no longer has this info. :\

·
Registered
435 Posts
Bump original images are gone. Trying to figure out how to replace the OEM yellow turn signals and do the clear turn signal mod. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts