Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my tranny pulled on my na right now because the clutch went out. I have resurfaced flywheel, a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing and pressure plate. I've never done this before and could someone help me out with pics etc..?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any of the special tools to replace the pilot bearing etc...is there any other way to replace it? Also I'm a total newb at installing a clutch. I don't know what side the clutch disk goes on the flywheel. And about greasing the parts...what's the clutch disk spline and all the little contant points of the clutch fork.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
special service tools....u dont need em...

i take out the pilot bearings using a J bolt that fits in the center with a vice grip at the end of it...then using a hammer I knock it out. The pilot and thrust bearings are self lubed...i would put a little grease on the inputshaft so the bearing slides easily.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well. So if i'm doing this all by myself. How exactly do i get the tranny back in and bolt up while i'm still holding the tranny in position. It sounds like a total PITA to do!

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can use a floor jack. My friend lent me a floor-tranny jack thats pretty much a floor jack but with a wider contact area. Depending on your floor jack you could use a piece of wood to make it more stable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm scared that i'm going to mess something up. I've never messed with the clutch before so i don't think i'm going to install it. I'll have my tech friend help me. We pull the whole clutch/flywheel assembly out...Now we have to put it back together.

G

·
ehh, usually i just crawl under the tranny, and bench press it up, the w-58 is rather light, as far as lining up the clutch, either run down to the local parts store and pick up the alignment tool or just line the clutch disk up to the pilot bearing by eye... as far as getting bolts in, hold the rear of the tranny with your leg and throw the bolts in....
so happy to have a garage with a lift comming :p

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'll have to jack the motor up a bunch to get the tranny to tilt down so i can get those top bolts in...I have an alignment tool. I'll probably mess with it today or something. OK, well i don't know how to get that pilot bearing out nor do i want to risk breaking something but....I was looking at the clutch disk...which side goes on flywheel and pressure plate? there's a side that sticks out a little more and a side that doesn't. Which side goes where?

G

·
should say right on the clutch disk, been forever since i did a w-58 in a mkiii.... as for the pilot bearing they make a tool that screws onto a slide hammer, makes life simple... but a good right angle pick, some vice grip's and a hammer with some luck it should be a walk in the park

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can someone find a very good "How To" video or tutorial that shows everything in detail on how to install a clutch and do everything including the pilot bearing etc... Like a good detailed video on how to install the clutch.

G

·
i'm going by the mkiv... but that could be the flywheel, i thought the flywheel was 33 and the clutch 28, but this is going by last summer my memory sucks a$$...... haynes.... tsrm baby!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I don't understand how to get the pilot bearing out....help I turned the pilot bearing and it seems good. Very little resistence ...slippery sound or somethign that's just what it reminds me of. Do i have to replace it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts