Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
very cool, i was anxiously awaiting pics. this is cake compared to the rest of the stuff ive done.

what did you use to shim the accumulator springs... washers? split washers?

bar stock would be pretty good... but, how do you put the shims down in the accumulator body yet avoid having them seated in a way that blocks the fluid passage?

when rebuilding the tranny, is there any benefit to adding more clutches to the pack or little tricks to help out there?

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
it seems like there has been a bit of an evolution of mods. some mods seem to have been superceded by new discoveries and such...

so to build the ultimate tranny for hard street use and track use...

a) Brace the 1-2 and 2-3 shift accumulators with solid rods to prevent acumulator movement; 4 rods total, can we get specific length and diameters to expedite the process?
b) Adjust the slotted adjustment screw to tightest setting, or fab up a brace to physically depress the adjustment screw
c) Adjust the TV cable to full tension at WOT while still working in conjunction w/ the throttle angle
d) Replace steel check balls with New Toyota plastic/rubber check balls to prevent accelerated plate wear
e) Port Valve body for better fluid travel

If you could put together a Kit that has the necessary shims or Braces for the accumlator, new OEM check balls, Valve body gasket, retainer to hold pressure regulator at highest pressure range as well as any other necessary parts to modify the A340e... i would buy one.

im just curious if doing one mod would counteract another mod... such as pulling the TV cable tight and locking it in position being combined w/ adjusting the pressure regulator screw to the highest pressure range would compound eachother to be detrimental to the life of the tranny.

Or, would adjusting the pressure regulator to the highest pressure setting AND locking the TV cable to the max setting in conjunction with Bracing the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators to be Solid end up being a bad combination and result in the trans abusing itself to into breakage (spidered/shattered/shaved sprags and gears).

im just wondering... how far is TOO far in relation to all of the possible mods?

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
Hey Raven... i was just thinking... as my neighbor, John Force Junior, is making passes up and down the street in front of my house w/ his 85 super stock mustang... it got me thinking. i just rememberd that a few of these guys had problems with their car shifting into 1st or not going into reverse... how do we Voluntarily engage 1st gear and reverse at the same time? and then, how do we disengage Reverse while leaving 1st gear engaged?

i think you know what im getting at...

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
yeah, you got it! an old acquaintence of mine, who bought my shortblock actually developed a paddle shifter for the A340e... maybe i can get ahold of him and ask him what he thinks about programming a trans brake for this car.

· Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,532 Posts
well, i dont forsee it to be a HUGE problem... its not like its going from 0 load to 100% load, creating a severe shock-load situation like dumping a clutch. the fluid coupling on the torque converter applying load to both reverse and 1st should alleviate shock-induced failures... i would think. but, im no auto-trans expert.

but, it couldnt hurt to try... its not like the A340e is hard to come by... people cant even GIVE them away! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.