Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
It is so embarassing I contemplated not coming forth, but having this unique ability to laugh at my own idiocy sometimes and to help others with this mod, I have to tell on myself....

When I took it back apart and after I had verified that there were no cracks or warpage of the trans, I slowly and carefully put it back together and found, with help from these pages from the TSRM, the spring problem.
With my handy-dandy dial vernier caliper I found that I had somehow gotten the springs mixed up (a hazard of doing the job with the tranny in the car I guess) maybe a C-2 or B-2 in the C-0 position. I don't know if it was finding reverse or first, I'm not sure which one, when shifting to OD at about 50-60 mph. All I know is it left two nice black skid marks on the pavement before I had time to push the button again. Of course when I saw that spring was about 200 thousanths too short I knew immediately.
This time I went back together with about 5/8" shim which is violent to say the least but not at all uncomfortable except at slow speeds. I also think that I would benefit from a single driveshaft, it seems to be rough on the carrier.
I know that I initially did some damage to this tranny after the rebuild and I'm not happy with the place that rebuilt it. I know I roasted it at least once, I was running 1.1 bar or so, and I can smell the burtness in the trans, I've since turned it down. Had I known of this mod that may not have happened although I do think it's too much for the 340 to handle. We'll see how long it lasts with this mod, so far it is a huge differance. If it doesn't survive I will do the build myself once before giving up and going GM.
Many thanks to Jared and company for this mod I think my last tranny may have survived had I known this. I do think just about anybody (except for me it appears :lol: ) could do this mod with the tranny in the car with the help of that green dissolving grease or two people holding the pieces in the right spot, although certainly the right answer is to take the tranny out. Good luck folks and here are the TSRM pages.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_136.html

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/at/AT_137.html

If I think of anything else I'll edit and I'll keep you updated.

Mark

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
nosechunks said:
so when u were running 1.1 bar it was slipping? what did they rebuild it with? with 5/8ths of a shim does it cherp second and third? and what did you do with the cable? did u lock it wide open or are u just running it stock spec?
Yes, it definately was slipping (note that this was BEFORE this mod), it was rebuilt w/blue rabestos (so they said, I have my doubts), with an extra 1-2 clutch. I burnt it so bad on a 1-2 shift I could smell clutch pack. It sure seems ok now tho, I need to flush it again.

Yes, chirp is a polite way to put it. It bangs REALLY hard, so hard I'm a little worried about the rest of the drivetrain. Also, I think that 5/8" is about all you can go, it gets hard to put back together and is probably the equivalent of no accumulator at all.

Yes, cable is locked wide open. IMO you must lock it all the way open, I think the only reason Toyota didn't is that you can actually hear the fluid flowing at idle. It's the only thing that keeps your pressure really high at low rpm.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
MKIII87Turbo said:
I still haven't gotten the tranny in yet. Will probably try this weekend. After 3 hours trying to get the top bolts out, I gave up. Going to take the tranny crossmember off and drop the rear down and see if I can get to the top bolts better.
You need to drop the rear of the tranny down quite a bit, then put about 4 feet of extensions together, piece of cake then.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
Hey Jared,
my trans is hitting hard again :) when we talked last I mentioned it had softed just a bit ( not much at all, but enough for me to notice....... I was only barking second about half the time instead of nearly every shift), so today I went to the local oil change joint and had the trans tech thing done, like $59, and it made a HUGE differance. then he wanted me to 'show him what I had' so I lit em up in the lot. then I took of down the road and spun thru first & half way thru second. I'm impressed, so I think I'm gonna do it about every 6k miles to be safe and i also recommend it to any of us auto trans guys.
btw, he also sold me on this $9 bottle of crap he said significantly lowers operating temp, something about synthetic whale blubber, ever heard of it? I figured, what the heck can't hurt, and if it works it'll certainly help the overall life.
Keep up the good work on this mod,
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.