Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
Haven't seen this as a sticky yet.

Well I did this today on a tranny that is out of my car. I used (4) 5/16" aluminum washers on each of the 2 accumulators. It came out to about 1/4 in thickness. They were a little bit to large in diameter so I stacked them between a bolt and nut, put that into a drill and spun them on sandpaper to get them smaller. I also made a bracket that holds the cam for the kickdown cable open. All of this took about an hour to do. Since you are in there you should replace your filter. If I have the will to do it, I'll be putting this tranny in tomorrow. I'll report on this and see how it works out.

I know on this tranny (91) it does not have the solid rod, and the springs in the top are held in with snap rings. The B-2 accumulator has 1 spring on the bottom, and the C-2 has 2 springs on the bottom. (I forgot where they went and had to look at the TRSM) The shims do go into the same place though.

This is a temporary tranny for me and the original one I take out will get a full rebuild with Kevelar or Rabestos Blue frictions.

· Registered
272 Posts
I still haven't gotten the tranny in yet. Will probably try this weekend. After 3 hours trying to get the top bolts out, I gave up. Going to take the tranny crossmember off and drop the rear down and see if I can get to the top bolts better.

· Registered
272 Posts
Well I'm alot closer for testing this mod out. I got the old tranny out and the modded (sp) one in today. I just have to hook all the periphials back up tomorrow morning.

· Registered
272 Posts
Had to use a jumper wire to start the car, but, with the 1/4" of shims is shifts nicely. A little firmer than stock but nothing radical. I will opt to go to about 7/16" or 1/2"next time though for a little firmer shift. (Going to rebuild original auto) You can hear the fluid flowing with the kick down cable locked in full open. Again nothing to radical. For the 40 mile drive I just did, I was upshifting and down shifting and everything worked fine first through fourth. I would recommend having the tranny out to do this mod. Other than wanting a more firmer shift this mod is great.

· Registered
272 Posts
See Ravens post #30. The kickdown cable does not deal with temperature, only line pressure. Besides the noise of the fluid and firmer shifts across the gears, I see no other downside.

As for shift kits, IIRC (If I remember correctly) they do not make a shift kit for our trannys. This mod does basically the same thing. Now if your talking valve body modifications thats another book.

If you have the tranny out its pretty easy. Just make sure to replace the filter, TORQUE the vlave body back on, and remember where the springs for the accumulators go.

· Registered
272 Posts
Well I'll get my son to pull the valve body this weekend and send out to Raven. I have been out of the loop due to surgery and a torn achilles tendon. (pushing the Supra out of the garage to part it out).

· Registered
272 Posts
You know, with all of the people pulling together, we WILL over come the minor faults with this tranny. If a T400 or a 4L60E can handle 400HP we can make these handle that much also. 500HP might be doable also. Torque is our downfall, but then again its a 7M torque monger.?

-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.