Supra Forums banner
501 - 509 of 509 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize you had a 'kit' from someone.
But the accumulators have to fill, and bottom out before the clutches see full pressure.

What converter are you running?
MV Auto's has been building A340's since the late 90's (and possibly before). I trust his thought process behind the kit.

Im running a 3200 converter, built by MV as well. This is the largest size that can be built while retaining lock up clutches. I may have to forgo this function if I want to get serious about dropping my times down.

· 7M Fanatic
3,614 Posts
IPT says that about their own work....
All they do if you have an issue with their stuff, is try to baffle you with bull shit, and talk your ear off on the phone.
Tried them, they assured me they could build a 4500 stall converter (even though that had no idea how).
When I finally got it in the car, all it would do is 3200.
It came out on one of these long, drawn out phone ordeals, that they had no way in hell how to get it done.

Found a guy in Dallas that did build a smaller diameter converter, retaining the lock-up clutch, but by the time I got it back, I had already went to the IS300 overdrive to get a better 4th ratio, and could no longer use it since the IS has a different input spline.

By the way, the IS300 pan is larger, and holds more fluid, but sits closer to the ground by about an inch.

Also, get a set of deeper gears for the diff.
Will get your 60' times down, if yo have the tire to hold it.
I use 4.58 gears on the street, and 5.3s for the strip.

· Registered
45 Posts
IPT says that about their own work....
All they do if you have an issue with their stuff, is try to baffle you with bull shit, and talk your ear off on the phone.
Tried them, they assured me they could build a 4500 stall converter (even though that had no idea how).
When I finally got it in the car, all it would do is 3200.
It came out on one of these long, drawn out phone ordeals, that they had no way in hell how to get it done.

Found a guy in Dallas that did build a smaller diameter converter, retaining the lock-up clutch, but by the time I got it back, I had already went to the IS300 overdrive to get a better 4th ratio, and could no longer use it since the IS has a different input spline.

By the way, the IS300 pan is larger, and holds more fluid, but sits closer to the ground by about an inch.

Also, get a set of deeper gears for the diff.
Will get your 60' times down, if yo have the tire to hold it.
I use 4.58 gears on the street, and 5.3s for the strip.
What was your best 60'? I'm not all that interested in changing diff gears to be honest. I'd put a small shot of nitrous on it to get it to leave quicker before i changed diff gears. My buddy has run a 1.46 60' with stock 3.9 cressida LSD and a 50 shot on it.

Surprising that you found someone to build you a 9" converter with lock up clutch. The biggest you can take a stock size a340 stall is 3200 so im not sure how they thought they would get it 4500 without using a smaller case.

Procured my 4th trans (been buying them all up for $20 a pop while i still can) as I want to go 9's on the cressida a340. Pictures of tear down and rebuild to come!

· Registered
3 Posts
Whats up everyone,
Long time stalker, first time posting.
In the process of the mod for accumulator and VB.
My Initial reason for tearing the trans apart is it was whining in reverse and first gear.
Would the TB coause a whining sound similar to a steering pump low on fluid?
Thanks

Alfonso

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
What was your best 60'? I'm not all that interested in changing diff gears to be honest. I'd put a small shot of nitrous on it to get it to leave quicker before i changed diff gears. My buddy has run a 1.46 60' with stock 3.9 cressida LSD and a 50 shot on it.

Surprising that you found someone to build you a 9" converter with lock up clutch. The biggest you can take a stock size a340 stall is 3200 so im not sure how they thought they would get it 4500 without using a smaller case.

Procured my 4th trans (been buying them all up for $20 a pop while i still can) as I want to go 9's on the cressida a340. Pictures of tear down and rebuild to come!
99 SC300 daily beater 11 second street tire build. - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion I don't know if you seen this but he went 9.8 way back when on stock A340 just shimmed and drilled. Did like 150 1/4 mile passes thing would not die.

· greasemonkey
3,340 Posts
Whats up everyone,
Long time stalker, first time posting.
In the process of the mod for accumulator and VB.
My Initial reason for tearing the trans apart is it was whining in reverse and first gear.
Would the TB coause a whining sound similar to a steering pump low on fluid?
Thanks

Alfonso
My 93 gs300 would whine at 1 point. Sounded like the power steering pump but it was not. I changed the trans filter and flushed the fluid and the sound went away. To flush it after you change the filter, take the hose off the radiator that goes back to the trans. Put a clear hose on and into a gallon jug. Turn the car on and when the jug is almost full, shut the car off, add 4 qts of fluid to the trans, and repeat until you see clean red fluid in the clear hose. Then put the stock hose back on. Make sure the trans is full. IIRC you need type 4 fluid for the GS300. I had 440k miles on my 93 GS300 when I sold it over a year ago. Still ran and drove perfect.

· Registered
3 Posts
My 93 gs300 would whine at 1 point. Sounded like the power steering pump but it was not. I changed the trans filter and flushed the fluid and the sound went away. To flush it after you change the filter, take the hose off the radiator that goes back to the trans. Put a clear hose on and into a gallon jug. Turn the car on and when the jug is almost full, shut the car off, add 4 qts of fluid to the trans, and repeat until you see clean red fluid in the clear hose. Then put the stock hose back on. Make sure the trans is full. IIRC you need type 4 fluid for the GS300. I had 440k miles on my 93 GS300 when I sold it over a year ago. Still ran and drove perfect.
Thanks williamb82

501 - 509 of 509 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.