Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 509 Posts

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
AllanL said:
any luck with the reverse issue yet? id love todo this but im afraid it would be a step backwards *boom tish* :p

Yes, look at post number 31. We are working on a revised walkthrough, that is clearer, and all in one post(too many pictures right now)

· Registered
860 Posts
Well, I am afraid to say that some of that went over my head. :ugh2:

Is this the process that an auto place would go through when you ask for a shift kit?

So you fitted a shim which is a small circular object between the accumulator and the spring. This was 5/8" thick and this is the absolute thickest you would use. If so, I think maybe a 1/2" one would do the trick for me.

Locking the kickdown cable open: by this you mean making the bracket that the kick down cable is attached to stay in the open position instead of returning to the usual place because of the spring. If you were to do this, would you still need the kickdown cable attached? Is this the part of the mod that increases line pressure or not?

So this mod is not strengthening the auto as such, but slightly modding it to shift quicker so that there is less time spent boiling the fluid.

BTW I already have 2 gearbox oil coolers.

thanks, and sorry for the stupid questions. :)

· Registered
272 Posts
Had to use a jumper wire to start the car, but, with the 1/4" of shims is shifts nicely. A little firmer than stock but nothing radical. I will opt to go to about 7/16" or 1/2"next time though for a little firmer shift. (Going to rebuild original auto) You can hear the fluid flowing with the kick down cable locked in full open. Again nothing to radical. For the 40 mile drive I just did, I was upshifting and down shifting and everything worked fine first through fourth. I would recommend having the tranny out to do this mod. Other than wanting a more firmer shift this mod is great.

· Registered
860 Posts
Is there any downside to locking the kickdown cable open? Does the kickdown cable work like a thermostat? ie. when it opens the fluid is sent through and then through the cooling system and back to the gearbox?

Also, I have been told that shift kits usually upgrade the valve body but don't shim the accumulators. Is this a one or the other sort of thing, or could you do both?

I will be trying this with my spare auto this weekend hopefully :)

· Registered
272 Posts
See Ravens post #30. The kickdown cable does not deal with temperature, only line pressure. Besides the noise of the fluid and firmer shifts across the gears, I see no other downside.

As for shift kits, IIRC (If I remember correctly) they do not make a shift kit for our trannys. This mod does basically the same thing. Now if your talking valve body modifications thats another book.

If you have the tranny out its pretty easy. Just make sure to replace the filter, TORQUE the vlave body back on, and remember where the springs for the accumulators go.

· Registered
860 Posts
Yeah, the auto place I know of does shift kits but they are valve body mods. So this mod is a TRUE shift kit then.

I will practice on my spare auto that is out of the car, and then have a go on the one I am using.
thanks mate.

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
MKIII87Turbo said:
Another update. When you are at stop signs you have to push on the breke pedal just a little bit harder due to the full line pressure.

For some reason, that just cracks me up,

We are currently investigating some more posibilties of actualy valve body modifications(boring out) to increase flow and decrease noise, also still working on a full set of custom gears for the pig... I am determined to make a cost effective A340e that will hang with the th400 boys...

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
MKIII87Turbo said:
Toyota has been using them for years and IIRC so do some Jeeps (AX4).

Eh? Using what?

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So you are saying the a340 has been used for years? Yes, in Lexus and Toyota, was used untill 2004 in the tundras.....

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
G

·
question about first gear

I just got done with this mod last week. 1/2 inch shim in the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. And pinned the kick cable open. Love the quick snap it has now. But I am having trouble with first gear not wanting to shift at WOT, this is without the ect switch on. :dunno: I put new fluid, filter, lucas adder; its only got 105K miles on it before the mod and shifted well then.

· Captain Hammer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
88tjason said:
hello, any help? :dunno:
Sorry about that....

mdr40z I believe was having that issue as well, is it all the time, or only at wot? Can you lift slightly and it shift? I've never had this issue, so I'll have to go based on theory with some more information.

41 - 60 of 509 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.