Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BIK KLR
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

To add to Stu's wonderful informational write up, here is how to get the antenna working.

I have had a radio installed in my Supra sine '04 without radio reception...finally decided to make it work. I looked here, but found that having aftermarket amps already installed and wires cut/ spliced in other locations it was a little difficult to figure out.

After testing numerous wires for continuity, and looking at Stu's write up I figured out that 2 wires had to be "powered". As i have already had my system installed and not having the connectors needed i used T-taps and made it work.

see figure 1 below.

IH2 PIN# 8, 9 (Pink/Blue, Red/Black) (1997 wiring colors, check your manual)

Use the blue antenna wire from the aftermarket radio and connect it to both pins 8 and 9 from IH2 PIN# 8, and 9 (Pink/Blue, Red/Black). Make sure the brown box, antenna relay is connected.

If your radio has the capability to turn the antenna (on and off) when the AM/FM is selected then you will now have the wonderful power of radio reception. and when a CD is in the antenna will retract.

Voila!!!

Kareem

·
Speed limits = Guidelines
1,964 Posts
i have a switch on my dash that raises the antenna whenever i use the radio, which in my case isnt often since i mostly use cds and an mp3 player

dont remember the details of it when i put it in( it was a few years ago), but it wasnt too hard...i also spliced the power antenna signal together with the window antenna so they both get used

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Unfortunately for some, some HUs don't come with a separate signal/wire for the antenna... Like my JVC. I have to use the same remote wire for the amp and antenna.

Gonna go back to a different Sony (same as the new one I got for the wife's MKIV), which has them separated and allows the antenna to go up/down when the source is changed to CD/MP3/AUX, etc.

Hmmmm... It also has bluetooth, I wonder if that does anything with the antenna wire... I'll check to see if that also lowers the antenna or does anything else.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
weird.. just bought the wiring harness and plug it right in, wired according to the diagram and works like it should, antenna goes up when using the radio, down when i use the cd.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Yeah I've always been confused as to why some guys don't have a working antenna.

Do your guy's cars not have the harness that bypasses the factory amp? Is your harness cut into the main factory harness?

Alex

·
BIK KLR
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a 2 piece system. screen, in dash and a "brain" under the passenger seat. power spliced in @ stock amp location no harness was used. so obviously the antenna didn't work. i had to be creative to get it to work.

i could get a harness and re-wire everything but i just jumped two wires shown above, and everything is well after a little WD-40 on the antenna

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The MKIII wired right up, since the ne HU had the separate signal for the antenna.

We used a jumper harness in both, but for some reason had to tap into the antenna relay on the MKIV.

Made a manual-type of connection, like the diagram in the 1st post, for the antenna in the MKIV.

·
Banned
2,624 Posts
weird.. just bought the wiring harness and plug it right in, wired according to the diagram and works like it should, antenna goes up when using the radio, down when i use the cd.
Same thing

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used the wiring harness from crutchfield for my alpine headunit. antenna only comes up when in radio mode. when in ipod or cd mode, antenna goes back down. I installed a Parrot CK3000 bluetooth car kit and again used the toyota wiring harness from crutchfield. the wiring harness make for a painless install. you need to connect the mute wire so the stereo mutes when making or receiving a call.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would hook the remote amp wire from the radio to the power antenna wire on the harness. That is what I did on both my mkiii and mkiv. The blue and white wire is switched power. When the radio is powered up the antenna goes up. That was the easiest thing i could figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts