Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there is finally going to be a serious transmission alternative for the mk3 guys, in kit form. TH350s and 400s!!

Check it out- http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257 :run:

Add slicks and big turbo, stir well, simmer for a while and enjoy 10 second or lower 1/4 miles at last. This should be a big step towards getting respect for the mk3 from the haters, some decent 1/4 times from more than one person per decade. :rant2:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Actually, the tranny and setup to have (if you know someone that can build it right) is a 4L80E and a TCI TCom. It is electronically controlled and can lock up the converter 100% at the push of a button for cruising down the road. With the TCI TCom you can control shifting based on Throttle Position. At low and part throttle it will shift like a stock transmission, but when you exceed a programmed throttlepoint, it will go into "WOT" mode and will shift at a user programmed rpm. did I mention it can hold the power? We have it on a car produucing 900+rwhp and 800+rwtq (Small Block Chevy w/ T7X Turbo - forgot the size). Did I mention the TH350, 400, and 4L80E share the same bolt patterns?

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
thanks man didnt notice havent been there in some time

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JoeThaMan said:
Actually, the tranny and setup to have (if you know someone that can build it right) is a 4L80E and a TCI TCom. It is electronically controlled and can lock up the converter 100% at the push of a button for cruising down the road. With the TCI TCom you can control shifting based on Throttle Position. At low and part throttle it will shift like a stock transmission, but when you exceed a programmed throttlepoint, it will go into "WOT" mode and will shift at a user programmed rpm. did I mention it can hold the power? We have it on a car produucing 900+rwhp and 800+rwtq (Small Block Chevy w/ T7X Turbo - forgot the size). Did I mention the TH350, 400, and 4L80E share the same bolt patterns?
I have a 4L80E in my truck. It weighs about 3 tons and is quite large. It would definitely slow a car down on the dragstrip compared to a TH350, even a 400. It would be nice for people more concerned about fuel economy though. If the pump bolt pattern (not the bellhousing bolt pattern) matches, it would probably be alot easier to put one in a 7M Supra with the adapter from a kit like this, if you wanted. I think it would need some tunnel "massaging" though, at a minimum.

B

·
0 Posts
i've already made an adaptor to use from 7m auto bell housing to th400 front pump. I have a couple to sell.. please pm me if interested.. i want $500 a piece for them. Ready to ship.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
if you really wanted to stay manual... you might be able to get an adapter for the mkiv getrag :dunno:

but auto is definitly superior for drag purposes.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
hoser813 said:
but auto is definitly superior for drag purposes.
But who here really likes to drive auto and who here dedicates their car to the strip only? I could have built a few drag only cars, but i like to drive my cars. So auto would never do it for me.

If someone could come up with a fix to that im sure there would be more interest. I am one of them.

·
2,279 Posts
Whats the alternative to stay manual?
Machine a metal thrust.

Add slicks and big turbo, stir well, simmer for a while and enjoy 10 second or lower 1/4 miles at last. This should be a big step towards getting respect for the mk3 from the haters, some decent 1/4 times from more than one person per decade.
I'm gonna be rocking this kit so fucking hard. My car has pretty much just been sitting with the big turbo, ffi, misc other goodies; waiting for this kit. I'll be at sea lvl when I get it all together (moving in acouple months), so I'm gonna turn some nasty times. No more of this low 11s BS. The top 1/4 is gonna be mine in a major way.

Well I better stop talking trash. Cuz as everyone knows I don't even have a supra, much less any upgrades to it. heh...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
outofstep said:
I'm gonna be rocking this kit so fucking hard. My car has pretty much just been sitting with the big turbo, ffi, misc other goodies; waiting for this kit. I'll be at sea lvl when I get it all together (moving in acouple months), so I'm gonna turn some nasty times. No more of this low 11s BS. The top 1/4 is gonna be mine in a major way.

Well I better stop talking trash. Cuz as everyone knows I don't even have a supra, much less any upgrades to it. heh...
Heh, that's the spirit Bob!

I plan to have the R154 and a torsen rear on standby for roadcourse action and the TH350 with a shimmed clutch LSD for the strip. Not a real big deal to swap them back and forth during the week, since I have a daily driver. :bigthumb:

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
well, i was gonna go th350, but if the th400 has the same front pump pattern, its a stronger trans so ill go that route instead. wish 3rd wasnt 1:1 though. top speed with my 3.727 with 26in tires will be limited to ~130mp. thats gonn suck for highway driving.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
yes, we konw the TH350, TH400, 700r4, 200-4r, 4L60, 4L60E and 4L80E all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. unless you find a 700r4 and 200-4r w/ the uni-bell bellhousing that bolts to BOP and chevy motors. then those are interchangable.

the TH 350 and 400 would be ok for a straight up drag car or aroudn town... but no good for free way use... think of never having 5th gear in your R154 or OD in your A340E.

a 4L60/700R4/4L80 would be quite good for our cars. the only catch is that they have trouble shifting under high rpm... but considerng MOST 7M guys wont be shifting above 6500 anyways, this is a non-issue. i would opt for a 4L60E for weight reasons... but if i was going to do that, i might as well have the A340 built w/ a custom converter for the same price and run 10's.

the 4L80E is a tank, and its bullet proof. its based off a TH400 design which is also a beefy 3speed. the 4L80 essentially is a TH400 with Overdrive... but the weight penalty is there... but its not like we drive hondas... we can make power easily.

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
ive been told the 200-4r and 700r4 wont hold up to 500+ft/lbs tq at the wheels even when built.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
itr206 said:
But who here really likes to drive auto and who here dedicates their car to the strip only? I could have built a few drag only cars, but i like to drive my cars. So auto would never do it for me.
well, yeah, manuals are definitly more enjoyable to drive, but the thread is all about 1/4 drag, where autos would be more beneficial.

·
2,279 Posts
with a shimmed clutch LSD for the strip.
Speaking of which... Isn't it just like a washer to shim it? I haven't seen the thread showing it in awhile.

ive been told the 200-4r and 700r4 wont hold up to 500+ft/lbs tq at the wheels even when built.
There are plenty of F-Body guys running around with more than that torque without issue. Besides, that's like 500 ft/lbs at like 100 rpm, much harder on the tranny than having it at like 3500-4000 where a decent sized turbo 7M would be hitting at.

I bet the 700r4s would hold just fine for this application. Someone just needs to get one to jon to see if they work. If I still had my POS 3rd gen Fbody I'd give him the trans.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flubyux2 said:
yes, we konw the TH350, TH400, 700r4, 200-4r, 4L60, 4L60E and 4L80E all have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. unless you find a 700r4 and 200-4r w/ the uni-bell bellhousing that bolts to BOP and chevy motors. then those are interchangable.

the TH 350 and 400 would be ok for a straight up drag car or aroudn town... but no good for free way use... think of never having 5th gear in your R154 or OD in your A340E.

a 4L60/700R4/4L80 would be quite good for our cars. the only catch is that they have trouble shifting under high rpm... but considerng MOST 7M guys wont be shifting above 6500 anyways, this is a non-issue. i would opt for a 4L60E for weight reasons... but if i was going to do that, i might as well have the A340 built w/ a custom converter for the same price and run 10's.

the 4L80E is a tank, and its bullet proof. its based off a TH400 design which is also a beefy 3speed. the 4L80 essentially is a TH400 with Overdrive... but the weight penalty is there... but its not like we drive hondas... we can make power easily.
1. The bellhousing bolt pattern of the transmission makes no difference with this kit. The bellhousing will need to be cut off so that the adapter can be bolted to the front pump. A stock A340 bellhousing is used. The front pump bolt pattern is what matters on the transmission.

2. Why would you want an automatic transmission of any kind in a Supra unless you were serious about drag racing?

3. 4L60 is the same thing as a 700R4 and they don't have trouble shifting at high RPM, just trouble blowing up. The 1st/2nd gear ratio gap is far from ideal for racing anyway. The A340 is a better transmission. Serious drag racers have already found the limits of the A340 and are looking for an upgrade, a TH350 or TH400 is it.

4. 4L80E isn't a TH400 with overdrive, different transmission entirely. It is a good trans. It would be slower down the track than a 3 speed. See reply number two.

williamb82- You are in luck, the TH350 and TH400 share the same pump bolt pattern. :)

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
looks like ill be trying to grab one from a crunch car soon. guess ill swap from the 3.727 to a 3.42. only 15mph increase in top speed but will still help gas mileage as i drive this car daily.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
oh, it didnt occur to me that the gm bellhousing gets shitcanned. thats quite cool.

anything can be built to handle the power. as bob said, getting out of the hole on an all motor or SC'd V8 is alot more brutal on the tranny than a MK3 with somethng like a SP67 or SP74 gimmick.

the way it was explained to me was that the 4L80E was derived from the TH400 but obviously has the OD gear. i actually wanted to swap one into my 79 Trans am, but ts got an olds 403 in it, so it falls under teh BOP bell housing and the 4L80E's all have the chevy bolt pattern. i wanted teh 4L80 because its as strong as a TH400, has an OD gear like the 4L60/700R4 and heavier than both. IIRC, i thought the 700R4 is the exact same thing as the NON-electronic 4L60... and the 4L60-E is obviously the electronically controlled gimmick. the 700R4 has been out since the early 80's or even late 70's, i think. but the 4L60E didnt come out till late 80s.

im not sure i even remember all too well. its been soo long since ive messed w/ GM's anyways. i need to get my TA down here so i can rock it w/ some Judas Priest blaring on my 6x9's!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts