Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, for those who like the DIY work, here is what i did to replace the passenger air bag. I will integrate my radio in there, but it could also be used to insert some gauges, boost controler, TV or anything else.

I didn't want to use the cover of my air bag in case i might want to put it back (or the police wants me to...)

So basically, what i did was cut a part of plexiglass about 1 inch larger than the stock air bag cover. i put it in the oven until it got soft.

than, with 3 person, we just hold it on the air bag so it would take the shape. After that, i cut it so it could fit in the hole. I had to reshape some places of the plexiglass, it can be done with a heat gun or one of the oven "ring" (don't know the right term in english sorry)

here are the pics of what it gives, don't care about the duck tape and the wire, they are there so i can hook it up strong to the car. I forgot to take pictures before i cut the holes...

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what i did to hook it in place, lower part is bolted and the upper part is just glued. Other pic shows what it looks like once installed

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this is what i will use to finish it, I bought some fake leather, that big piece cost only 3$.

On the two last pic, it is what it will look like once it is finished. Note that it was just put there temporarly to take a picture, it will be fixed better than that, the wavy look will diseppear. Plus, i am going to use something between the plexiglass and the leather to give it more of a puffy, cushion look, like if it was thicker leather. It will hide all the imperfections it might have. It will probably be something like stuffing for a coat.

i didn't install the leather yet because i need to cut the hole for my radio first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts