Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad and i are working on his TR7 and we were wondering about when we start the engine, which hasn't been run in about 10 yrs

after we replace all the hoses, wires, spark plugs, etc. we (obviously) want to have the engine running, but what soould we do beforehand to get it so that we don't ruin anything

any help appreciated

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
well did you ever convert to to use unleaded gas? that should be a leaded engine...the only way to "prep it" would be to rebuild it...id just starting it up

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Install it in a 93+ FD body

·
Registered
154 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
thanks for all the help! :rolleyes:
Have you turned it over by hand yet? The first thing I'd do is find the socket size on the front of the crankshaft and crank that baby over by hand. Engines will seize after a lot of years just sitting. The right way to break them loose is by hand. Also, make sure there isn't any gas in the intake/carb. If there is, it's fowled by now. Get that out of there and squirt some starter fluid down the carb to get it going. Also, I'd pull the oil pan and clean out the sludge that's probably in there. Actually I'd do that first, so when you hand crank it, it won't try to recirculate the old oil. I have no clue what a TR7 is, so hopefully this information is correct for you. My experience is pretty much with Chevy V8's :D Good luck.

Phyte

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
check battery, Check oil, check coolant, Disconect coil, remove plugs, pull fuel pump fuse, oil the cylinders with a few drops of oil then crank for a little while. Clean all the plugs, re install with oil on the threads, re install fuel pump fuse, then fire er up. if its slow to go, get a tiny propane bottle with a rubber hose aimed at the TB, the dry fuel helps. Lean the propane bottle out as it warms up and see if it runs on its own. if it dont, you have either shitty gas or a fuel system problem. I would drain the gas actually check the tank for rust.

Try that out.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TE27Levin said:
check battery, Check oil, check coolant, Disconect coil, remove plugs, pull fuel pump fuse, oil the cylinders with a few drops of oil then crank for a little while. Clean all the plugs, re install with oil on the threads, re install fuel pump fuse, then fire er up. if its slow to go, get a tiny propane bottle with a rubber hose aimed at the TB, the dry fuel helps. Lean the propane bottle out as it warms up and see if it runs on its own. if it dont, you have either shitty gas or a fuel system problem. I would drain the gas actually check the tank for rust.

Try that out.
thanks a lot, yours and phyte's posts were very helpful

the gas smells horrible now (opening the cap for about 30 seconds made the garage stink like alcohol and dead people for about 2 minutes) so we're emptying the tank this week and checking for rust, i don't know what we'll do next, but i know we can't wait to have this car running, for me, it's the next project....the RX-7, and for him it's because he wants his car running (he wants to sell it afterwards) and then after the RX-7, we're fixing the BHG'd supra in my mom's driveway and selling that, which should be easy as he has done many headgasket jobs on his TR7

thanks for the help you guys

PS: slither, how did you know we were getting an FD as the next project?

·
Registered
648 Posts
lol at first i thought it said how to prep a motor to not run for 10 years. i was gonna say rev it til it blows and then throw it in the corner of your garage for 10 years then fix it.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
PS: slither, how did you know we were getting an FD as the next project?
I didnt, i thought you needed a place to put it to store it for 10 years, i was saying as much as an FD is broken, may as well use it for something. I was making a joke, apparently only i got it.
I would love to have an FD, very sexy cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts