Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried so many different angles, even went out and got an extra-long low-profile jack but alas, I cannot clear the car's OEM aero side skirts (with stock suspension) when trying to jack the front.
How does everyone go about jacking their Supras? I'm trying to access the front side.
Car Tire Vehicle Wheel White

Right now in order to access the front section, I have to go through the tedious process of jacking the rear (from the diff directly from the back end), adding stands to the rear, and then sliding in a jack from the drivers side and jacking the suspension arm that connects to the bar, adding in a jack stand to the passenger side, removing jack from drivers side and inserting the 4th jack on a level lower. Needless to say, this system is stupid and it's driving me crazy. See the image here for steps:
Automotive tire Font Engineering Electrical wiring Technology

Another issue I am running into, is the order in which the jack and stands are placed... As someone who is new to working on cars, I couldn't figure out how to jack a point and add a stand to it at the same time. See in the image where the jack's image (red) goes through the stand's image (green)? How are we supposed to add a stand to the point when the jack is occupying the space already? I know, amateur stuff... 馃槗

Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always lift from the diff and put jack stands in number 2. Then I lift the car from 4 and 5. I put the jack stands under the control arms, where it meets the cross member (number 3).

Casper
Is there any chance you can mark exactly where you put the stands (as accurately as possible)? This will be a big lifesaver
Tire Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drive the car onto some wood or something that will lift the body higher first then you can use the jack easier. Otherwise you will need to jack off the diff as you are currently.
I thought about that too, but its the angle of the side skirts that's causing the issue. Because the jack is straight and it's lifting teeth arent raised enough :(
I thought about putting some pieces onto the jacks end, but I'm afraid that it will just split the piece of wood as the car's jack points dig into it in a straight line

Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I'm gonna do a combination of all these and hopefully they make the whole jacking process for the front much easier.
I think turning the wheel after driving onto something like a piece of wood or a ramp, and then sliding the jack through the new room from the turned wheel may clear the side skirts odd downward design, and then placing stands onto the suspension arms should all come together and do the trick!

From the land down under
I have the same factory jdm aero side skirts and had the same issues when I first installed them.

Now, I always drive the front wheels up onto two lengths of 2x8 planks, and also, I have a hard rubber jack pad on the head of my jack so it fits either side of the pinch weld so they dont get crushed.

Its a hassle but welcome to low car lyfe

Master Shit Fixer
I have a hard rubber jack pad on the head of my jack so it fits either side of the pinch weld
This! Mine's a couple of inches tall. Maybe that will help you clear your skirts. Either way, it preserves your pinch welds.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

Super Moderator
I bought a pair of the GKTech 'super low' ramps and they're worth every penny. They're also rather reasonably priced. Works great for getting to appropriate jack points up front.

Otherwise @CasperMK2 outlined exactly how I've done it for years; Jack up the rear by the diff, jackstands on the lower control arm mounting points on the appropriate subframe.
If I'm doing suspension work that requires removing the LCA's or movement of the LCA's, I put the jackstands on the subframes themselves - the webbed AL one up front and under the rear 'plate' side of the rear subframe where the back end of the diff bolts up. Obviously I go just inside the suspension mounts to maximize lateral stability.

Master Shit Fixer

Registered
i have a HF lowprofile steel jack and i drive my front end up on 2x4's then jack under the subframe. rear it just high enough to where the jack will reach under the diff otherwise id put the rears on 2x4s also.

Registered
S2 // SZ // Manual
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright! So after some testing it turns out the solution was just using a Rubber Jack Pad:
Light Automotive tire Black Font Bumper

I got the thickest one I could find ($15 AUD), and it just barely clears the side skirts! Then place the jacks on the suspension arm joints to keep it up.
So there you have it. Oddly shaped side skirts? No worries. Just grab a low-profile jack, and add on a rubber jack pad. Alternatively, it seems as though driving on top of some planks can do the trick too, though I didn't try it as a soft rubber surface to make contact with the old jack teeth seemed more interesting to me.

Registered
it's a bit of a hassle to set up each time, but it does have it's specific uses...but when you do need it you're really happy to have it. I'm not sure how useful it'll be if you have a lift though
Every lift has a use and ideal purpose. A four post like what I have makes doing wheel swaps / suspension work more difficult than if you could have the wheels off the ground. A two post companion would be nice, but unfortunately my garage isn't wide enough for both.

A Quickjack, on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts