Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you only drive your Supra's once or twice a week. But from the guys who actually drive their car on a daily basis and have a FMIC.... how do you protect it from all the crap that can hit it .... ?

I have the 3-row for two months I think and I already got a little piece of wood to hit my FMIC and bent 3 fins...

Is there anything that you guys have found that helps proctect the I/C from all this crap...

Thanks in advance...
:D

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i had some mesh in front of mine...not the thick noticable kind like you would see on some hoopty civic though...just try and find mesh thats really thin and you wont even notice it...i drove mine like that daily for 6-7months and when i sold my car all the fins were still perfect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and where do you put it...? attach to the bumper in front of the I/C or on the I/C it self..?
And how thin would you says it should be...?

Do you have a pic of it on your car by any chance.

Thanks..

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i bent the mesh at a 90 degree angle and took small screws and drilled them into the front bumper to attach the mesh...you drill it into the top of the "mouth" of the bumper and you cant even see it...heres a pic..you cant even tell theres mesh

as for the thickness, i cant remember where i got mine at, just try like home depot or places like that...the thinner the better if you dont want to be able to see it..just make sure the holes arent too big or stuff will still be able to get in

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Yeah, mesh is the way to go. Just attach it to the inside of the bumper with screws or even some kind of glue.

I have it on my car and it saved my FMIC. One day something hit my mesh and there was a huge pushed in section of it. If it wasn't there my FMIC probably would have gotten a huge dent in it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
best looking mesh is the hexagon stretch metal... super thin and has a honeycomb pattern... do a search under stretch metal and look for the manufacturer that starts with an a... i dont remember their name but theyre always near the top of the list on yahoo

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
www.grille-tech.com
I bought the black race style. I inserted it behind the opening in front of the IC. You can barely see it.....
I used a few black tie wraps and those are hidden too. I left a slight 1/2 inch opening on the bottom to allow the crap to fall out.
Price was right too.....
You can mount it either way, in the front more noticable, or behind less noticable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had mesh and decided to take it off so far so good on the dyno it made a difference as the mesh can effect cooling quite a deal when covering the intercooler however mine was quite thick!.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
ScrewDrvr said:
just put a big board over it.
:lol:

Slecty, you do realize that the IC doesn't really get air to cool your car on the dyno. There is no way in hell removing the mesh had any affect on your dyno numbers.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,972 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when building a screen is that if you have it flush with the bumper, air is going to see it as more of a wall then a screen when at speed. It needs to be farther back so that you have something keeping the air from just pushing away and goinmg somewhere besides through the IC and radiator.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts