Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My custom 3" mandrel exhaust is getting a bit too loud for me. It has no cats, no resonators. Just a magnaflow 3" straight through muffler and a custom HUGE turbo elbow. What would have the largest impact on making the exhaust alot quieter? A cat? A resonator? I really don't wanna do both and I know a cat robs alot of power but if it makes the exhaust alot quieter than a resonator then I guess I'll do it. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would find a Hi-Flow cat and put it on. It really will not rob that much power, and it will help the enviroment. Not to mention your car will even smell cleaner. On the sound I am guessing a resonator will make thing more quiet than a Cat, but I would also imagine it would rob more power as well.

Do everyone a favor and get the Hi-Flow cat.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
ha ha ha... im about to do my whole exhaust sytem and the first thing i look for is the silencer lol... cause i know ill be to loud...

-BIC 3" dp (elbow included)
-test pipe and 3" till the muffler...
-apex n1 (ebay) muffler

hopefully the dam silencer will quit it enuff...

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
I made a silencer for my burns muffler. It was not that hard to make. It is a lot easier to put on and remove depending on the mood :) But if you really wanna quiet it down kinda permanently, go with a resonator.

J

·
0 Posts
I would first of all suggest a Hi-Flow Cat as KLH did. Secondly, have you considered sound deadening material? Granted, it adds weight, but it will do wonders to seperate you from road and exhaust noise. That is actually what I'm planning to do in then next month or two. Here is the material I'm planning on using.

B-Quiet Link

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
A high flow cat will not rob any power that you can notice, for what ever reason highflow cats made after 1998 are much better flowing compared to pre 98 cats, so I say just do the enviroment a favor a put one on.

·
Whats Turbo?
97 Posts
IF you have a silencers put steel wool behind it. Like half a bag it will make it quiet...

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
jt2ma71 said:
I made a silencer for my burns muffler. It was not that hard to make. It is a lot easier to put on and remove depending on the mood :) But if you really wanna quiet it down kinda permanently, go with a resonator.
Yea dude, just make a silencer. You'll save more money, it will be LOADS easier, and the minescule amount of performance you lost can be reattained in like 5 seconds.

H

·
0 Posts
Could someone give a good explanation on how to make a silencer? Possibly a web page?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
A resonator will not effect anything other than sound. I have a resonator AND a high flow cat, you cant not hear my car at idle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I replaced my hi flow cat with an Aero Turbine resonator. The low tone on decleration was somewhat lessened, it used to sound like a dumptruck using the engine brake. I cost me 75$ installed and is a really pretty stainless steel can.

I can't find room to mount both it and a cat or I would try both, as it is still a bit loud with a magnaflow and all 3" mandrel.
My WG spring regulated boost went up from 9 to 10 psi, so i think there is some performance difference, though maybe not a lot.
I don't miss the rotten egg smell from the cat, for what its worth.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have a full 3 inch exhuast-rounded off by the RS*R GT2! its kind of loud at (cold) start up but i dont think its TOO loud for me; sisters, girlfriend and mother complains though hehe (all girls, hmmm)...and its not like its fart can/ricey or "bike" loud.....i hear civics and such rev away EVERYDAY on my street, if i get busted I won't understand Somehow the silencer does not want to fit also, so i dont want to scratch it up trying to pry that thing out later.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, I thought it was required in these sort of threads:

just turn the radio up louder :D

Seriously, if I wanted to quiet my exhaust, I would probably get the high-flow cat & the resonator. Performance difference would most likely be minimal, and if you're going to make it quieter, why not just make it as quiet as you can? Just my personal opinion, though, which may not be worth too much, as every vehicle I've ever owned has been made louder, never quieter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts