Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size allen wrench is needed to remove both the fill and drain plug for the differential? Or what tool do you guys use? It seems pretty big and I'll have to go to my local OSH to get it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horrible, I brought an 10MM extension and can't get the bolt off at all. Tried using a breaker bar and still no luck! Those bolts are on so tight. Will spraying wd40 overnight help? The previous owner told me he hasn't changed the diff fluids in awhile.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
yeah man, i just got done doing this and those bolts were on fucking TIGHT. i couldn't get them off either even with the breaker bar. I got so mad that i put the 10mm allen wrench in the bolt and while spewing profanities gave it a good kick from the rear of the car. the bolt broke loose and i twisted it right out... i 'kicked' the second one too with the same result. I'm not saying you should try it but it was just one of those WTF moments haha

·
1,070 Posts
I forgot how tight those bolts were. It's one of those times where you should see if you can remove the fill plug first before removing the drain plug.

·
Blood for Blood
8,323 Posts
no dont use wd 40.. I like it too but you need a can of PB Blaster... I got mine off with a breaker bar .... well it was the jack handle lol

·
Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,636 Posts
Same here, change the fluid like 2 weeks ago, and man those things are Super Tight, a Nice BIG KICK did it for me..!!..but your feet will really hurt...only down-fall..!!..good luck taking those things off, and agree use PB Blaster, should do the trick..!!

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Hopefully you bought new gasket rings for the plugs. If you change them everytime then the plugs aren't hard to get off the next time. PB blaster and a propane torch followed by using my foot to push on the ratchet is how I got mine off the first time after I bought the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My biggest recomendation would to first spray it with PB blaster. Then give it a few tap. Let it sit for half a hour, then spray some more PB on their and let it sit over night. Then the next morning, I just use the 10mm allen key that's built into a 3/8 socket and it pops right off. No torch or heat is needed at all. It sometime helps if you have a wire brush and clean off the gasket around the crush washer.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just brought a can of PB blaster off of eBay and it'll be coming in two days. This stuff must be really good since you all are recommending it! I have the following the item with a craftsman wrench... Strange question, did you guys jack up the car when doing this? If so, 1 feet seem about right?

Is this some sort of adapter that's necessary?

·
1,070 Posts
That adapter is necessary if you have a 3/8" drive socket and want to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar shown in the pics. I just used the long pipe handle from a floor jack and slipped it over a regular 3/8" drive ratchet instead of using a breaker bar.

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
I just brought a can of PB blaster off of eBay and it'll be coming in two days. This stuff must be really good since you all are recommending it! I have the following the item with a craftsman wrench... Strange question, did you guys jack up the car when doing this? If so, 1 feet seem about right?

Is this some sort of adapter that's necessary?

they sell pb blaster at every auto parts store. autozone, pepboys, murphys.

I had my car jacked up on jack stands every time I did it.

I'm all about SIMPLE work. The adapter is to use a 1/2" ratchet as shown.

To be honest, 99% of the things I do on the car I use that breaker bar. It allows me to put around 50-100 ft/lbs on any bolt when removing with very little stress. With that bar, I think any 10 year old kid could put 60-70 ft/lbs without breaking a sweat.

When i'm under a car at a wierd angle, I don't want to be using a small 3/8" ratchet, and using all my force trying to break loose a bolt. I want it to be EASYYYYYYYYYYYY.

If I can fit that ratchet in, I use it EVERYYYYYYY time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts