Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had longer studs put on my car a few months back because the wheels I had then needed a 13mm spacer. I had a shop do it. Anyways, now I have proper offset on my new wheels and wish to remove the studs and reinstall the factory ones.

I took of my front wheels, calipers, and rotors. The studs are exposed. I don't see how you take them off. It seems as if you just hit it and it'll pop off the back, but I've hit it really hard with a hammer. I don't want to "force" it out because it may do damanged. Actually I've hit my hardest and nothing budges.

Is there a technique or trick to get the studs off? Or is there anything I'm not doing right?

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chnco said:
they are pressed in, so yes, keep hammering! :)
Shit sounds like fun. If I keep hammering to get them out, would I hammer to new ones in the same way but in the reverse direction or how do I "press" them on?

·
Banned
85 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Shit sounds like fun. If I keep hammering to get them out, would I hammer to new ones in the same way but in the reverse direction or how do I "press" them on?
to put them back in, slide them through and then spin an open end lugnut all the way down till it hits the hub surface then keep tightening till it seats.
thanks again.

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
brian_k03 said:
I dont get why shops charge so much to replace these.
becasue they probably stack on a labor charge for removing the hubs and pressing in the new studs when i reality it can very easily be done with the hub still on the car if you know what your doing... :) and it still takes time doing it that way too...time is $$$

jay

·
Registered
422 Posts
A little heat with a propane torch on the backside of the stud will help when hammering them out. I just hope the shop you took them to didn't drill out the hub to fit the new longer studs. No one makes a stud with the same knurl as Toyco used...

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
dblegle-

Moroso makes studs that are about the same knurl, you can grind the knurl down a little and press them in with no problems.

Michael-
Use a open ended lugnut and just pull it through with the lugnut. Air tools works wonders :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Go to the store and ask for a universal replacement lugnut (open end so the thread can go all the way through). Thread it just to the tip of the lug and then bang bang bang the fuck out of it. Repeat for each one, put the lug on the end only so you don't beat up the threads. Instead you only beat up the lug. You can then reuse this open end lug to pull the stock studs back in by just tightening it up.

-Corey

·
Registered
275 Posts
o that would be bad if they were welded and the holes were drilled out but before you beat them up if this is the case i am sure you could sell them or trade with someone.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why not just use a small press and press them out. You can get these at any local parts store? This is the method I've used in the past and it works great. I would think this would be better than just beating the car to death with a hammer. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
A regular hammer wont get them out..it doesnt have enough weight. A 5lbs sledge hammer will pop it out. I did this the other day

·
Registered
745 Posts
michaelvanle said:
I had longer studs put on my car a few months back because the wheels I had then needed a 13mm spacer. I had a shop do it. Anyways, now I have proper offset on my new wheels and wish to remove the studs and reinstall the factory ones.

I took of my front wheels, calipers, and rotors. The studs are exposed. I don't see how you take them off. It seems as if you just hit it and it'll pop off the back, but I've hit it really hard with a hammer. I don't want to "force" it out because it may do damanged. Actually I've hit my hardest and nothing budges.

Is there a technique or trick to get the studs off? Or is there anything I'm not doing right?
Which wheel studs did you end up going with?

·
11,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I stuck the stock ones back in. They were real easy to do, although I advise wearing some type of muffler or shit for your ears. I stuck in some headphones and had my iPod playing :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts