Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I feel stupid, but gotta ask in order to know the answer :)

Is there a trick to removing the 6 bolts that hold the torque converter clutch in the transmission? Need to remove transmission from the engine and these 6 bolts don't want to budge at all. Any tricks or hints? Or do I just need to hit it with a ton of PB Blaster and use a really big breaker bar? No compressor tools unfortunately :(

Here is what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
272 Posts
oh.. you mean the flexplate and ring gear. i like like.. "torque convertor clutch.. WTF?"

You need to stop the engine from spinning. Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and spray the hell out of the bolts with a penetrant (PB, KRoil, WD40.. ) Use something that you can get some leverage with to try and break the bolts loose.. The longer the handle on the ratchet, the more torque produced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Figured I just needed to put more force into it. And the factory manuals called it the torque converter clutch .. figured it had another name :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
put it in park loosen bolt then nuetral to get to next bolt then park to hold it in place you get the idea. good luck

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
Okay I feel stupid, but gotta ask in order to know the answer :)

Is there a trick to removing the 6 bolts that hold the torque converter clutch in the transmission? Need to remove transmission from the engine and these 6 bolts don't want to budge at all. Any tricks or hints? Or do I just need to hit it with a ton of PB Blaster and use a really big breaker bar? No compressor tools unfortunately :(

Here is what I'm talking about:
what i want to know is how u even got such a clear view of the access panel area???

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
this is one thing I did not like about the design of toyota. When I'm removing trannys on our race car (69 Camaro), I have access to the bottom of the flex plate. I have a special tool that grabs into the teeth so I can turn it over and hold it there. No "go go gadget arms" stretching out to the wratchet on the crank and turning it over to get to the next bolt.

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
i cant hardly even see into my panel...there is a crossmember or something in the way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
this is one thing I did not like about the design of toyota. When I'm removing trannys on our race car (69 Camaro), I have access to the bottom of the flex plate. I have a special tool that grabs into the teeth so I can turn it over and hold it there. No "go go gadget arms" stretching out to the wratchet on the crank and turning it over to get to the next bolt.
i feel brother. the 6 speed is the same way. you have to unubolt the pressure plate from the flywheel before you can pull the tranny away. rediculous!

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
i dont really see why it has to be done this way? is there a reason??

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
if you take a look at the very bottom of the bellhousing you will notice a small circular hole

stick a screwdriver in it

holds the teeth...

----
btw... if you put the car in park it WILL NOT hold the flexplate in place
ill let you guys figure out why

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
this is why i love working on mecedes, they make a special took that slides into where the starter comes out of that holds the flywheel

·
Banned
888 Posts
if you take a look at the very bottom of the bellhousing you will notice a small circular hole

stick a screwdriver in it

holds the teeth...

----
btw... if you put the car in park it WILL NOT hold the flexplate in place
ill let you guys figure out why
do that^^ screwdriver works fine, that's how i removed it. hope it turns out ok.

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
are you guys just talking about sticking a screwdriver on there so the flexplate doesnt try to turn on you while tightening/loosening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts