Supra Forums banner

How to remove torque converter clutch?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  93civEJ1 
#1 ·
Okay I feel stupid, but gotta ask in order to know the answer :)

Is there a trick to removing the 6 bolts that hold the torque converter clutch in the transmission? Need to remove transmission from the engine and these 6 bolts don't want to budge at all. Any tricks or hints? Or do I just need to hit it with a ton of PB Blaster and use a really big breaker bar? No compressor tools unfortunately :(

Here is what I'm talking about:

See less See more
#2 ·
oh.. you mean the flexplate and ring gear. i like like.. "torque convertor clutch.. WTF?"

You need to stop the engine from spinning. Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and spray the hell out of the bolts with a penetrant (PB, KRoil, WD40.. ) Use something that you can get some leverage with to try and break the bolts loose.. The longer the handle on the ratchet, the more torque produced.

#6 ·
this is one thing I did not like about the design of toyota. When I'm removing trannys on our race car (69 Camaro), I have access to the bottom of the flex plate. I have a special tool that grabs into the teeth so I can turn it over and hold it there. No "go go gadget arms" stretching out to the wratchet on the crank and turning it over to get to the next bolt.

#9 ·
i feel brother. the 6 speed is the same way. you have to unubolt the pressure plate from the flywheel before you can pull the tranny away. rediculous!

#14 ·
do that^^ screwdriver works fine, that's how i removed it. hope it turns out ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.