Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
jinus said:
No one knows this?
I would do one of the following:
1. Get someone that knows how to do this to help,
2. Get the FSM and prepare to spend a long time doing it yourself, or
3. Pay a shop to do it for you.

I've never replaced the one on the Supra, but I recently replaced the one in my truck. That was the biggest pain in the butt, and I had help. I think next time I'll let someone else do it.

It really is a pain.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
just like VicSupra said, get a FSM first. have the system evac. and filled by a qualified tech. and to replace the valve, just do what the book says. don't forget to use new o-rings.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I'll just beat the dead horse:

Step 1) Purchase the factory service manual.
Step 2) Order part
Step 3) Follow manual's instrutions
Step 4) Have the system flushed and filled with new freon
Step 5) Enjoy your cold air.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
Only flush the A/C system if you have or suspect loose particles travelling within the a/c system. Do not use flush since most flushes are not 100% compatible with all the a/c system components and you're introducing something into the a/c system that normally doesn't belong there and can't be completely removed.

If you have a stuck expansion valve (stuck open or closed) you need to replace the reciever drier as well. The refrigerant travels from the compressor to the condenser to the drier then to the expansion valve. The drier has a descant bag that over time can tear and particles or the descant (zeolite) can start to fall out and get stuck within the expansion valve. This can cause problems with your expansion valve.

If you replace your expansion valve and not the drier chances are that you have fixed your problem but not the cause of your problem. Which means that if your a/c quits working again and is the expansion valve again it was due to descant detrioration within the reciever/drier.

Replacement of either part is not difficult but is well beyond the scope of most guys. I recommend taking it to someone who knows how to do this type of repair. You also need to use refrigerant equipment to recover and recharge the a/c system. A few orings will require replacement and the battery and left headlight also needs to come out for the drier.

-Joe

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
carchitect said:
Only flush the A/C system if you have or suspect loose particles travelling within the a/c system. Do not use flush since most flushes are not 100% compatible with all the a/c system components and you're introducing something into the a/c system that normally doesn't belong there and can't be completely removed.

If you have a stuck expansion valve (stuck open or closed) you need to replace the reciever drier as well. The refrigerant travels from the compressor to the condenser to the drier then to the expansion valve. The drier has a descant bag that over time can tear and particles or the descant (zeolite) can start to fall out and get stuck within the expansion valve. This can cause problems with your expansion valve.

If you replace your expansion valve and not the drier chances are that you have fixed your problem but not the cause of your problem. Which means that if your a/c quits working again and is the expansion valve again it was due to descant detrioration within the reciever/drier.

Replacement of either part is not difficult but is well beyond the scope of most guys. I recommend taking it to someone who knows how to do this type of repair. You also need to use refrigerant equipment to recover and recharge the a/c system. A few orings will require replacement and the battery and left headlight also needs to come out for the drier.

-Joe
I have replaced both the dryer and the expansion valve in my 1994 TT. You do not need remove the battery or the headlight. Get yourself a manual an follow the steps. The only difficult part of the repair is access the screws in the bottom of the condensor cover plate.

Shawn

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Can you explain your symptoms?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts