Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the hell do you get these rubber boots off the oem shifter?
Gas Auto part Automotive tire Bottle Audio equipment

The big fat black part of the shifter seems to have no way to take it off. Would really like to replace the smaller rubber piece. I don't need the bigger one but I imagine someone else would find it useful so I don't want to cut it if I don't have to.

· Registered
283 Posts
The fat part of the shifter will separate from the lower part. Try a bench vise to hold the lower part and a strap wrench to twist off the top part. I believe most of these are bonded together with a rubber sealant. So you will have the problem of getting a durable bond again when you are finished. Epoxy will do it but you probably won't be getting them separated again.

· Registered
531 Posts
When I installed my C's short shifter, I didn't use those rubber parts you have circled. The other 2 rubber boots are enough to keep the water out and the shifter has its own cap. I think I removed a rubber spacer from the Toyota shifter bushing because it was squeezing too tight. There is a wavy washer under the top metal cover that needs to have some play up and down.
Household hardware Metal Nickel Auto part Gas

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Radio

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fat part of the shifter will separate from the lower part. Try a bench vise to hold the lower part and a strap wrench to twist off the top part. I believe most of these are bonded together with a rubber sealant. So you will have the problem of getting a durable bond again when you are finished. Epoxy will do it but you probably won't be getting them separated again.
oooh ok, I could feel a slight twisting motion when I twisted the fat part, but I was worried I'd break something if I twisted it any further. Will give it a shot at work tomorrow, don't have a vise at home...in the process of clearing out the garage to make a nice little workshop. Is sealant necessary, as in, would it spin too easily if I just put it back together and started shifting? Would medium strength thread locker suffice?

· Buddy thought I had a NA
2,645 Posts
The oem is crimped and glued

most of the time the rubber rips but you can try heating up the sifter base metals then clamp it and twist it off useing a pipe wrench and a leather strip to protect the shaft from mare marks from the wrench.

out just buy this

NM Shifter V2.5

Reactions: BonestockNA

· Registered
283 Posts
Looks like these guys gave you some other pretty good options. I have never had to disassemble any of my shifters. The small boot tends to last a long time and I have never seen one ripped myself. If you take the rout to disassemble your shifter I can tell you rubber silicone sealant will not grip it good enough and it will come apart again. I've seen guys over the years struggle with these. The rubber like material the manufacturers fill it with sets hard and is durable. I've seen success by filling with a heaping amount of a 2 part epoxy. If you do that don't plan on taking it apart again but it will hold.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I definitely don't want to fork out 500 usd for a shifter though. At least, not if it's the oem length. Lots of short shifter options but I'm content with the stock one. Mine is in ok condition, the small boot has a small crack in it but it's only noticeable if you stretch the rubber; in normal operation it should be more than enough to stop any gunk from beneath from getting inside. Mainly just wanted to pull off the crazy number of boots it has since I probably only need one of them.

· Registered
2,365 Posts
@edbods You'd be surprised how much NVH those boots keep out. Also, heat from the road and exhaust. I forget why but I was road testing my car at one point with one or more of the boots removed, and... ugh. They're there for a reason. ;)

As far as removal, I'd treat it the same as exhaust hangers. ******* Troubleshooting tree for ya:

Fluid Font Parallel Rectangle Gas

In seriousness, WD40 has the interesting property that it is really slippery when wet (hey-o!) but becomes sticky with rubber when it dries.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Surprisingly enough, I went to look at how the auto shifter is sealed in my cressida, and there's only one rubber boot separating the cab from the road.
With the mk3 shifter I had, I was able to take off the boot without taking the whole shifter apart. I only had to unscrew the upper knob. The big fat rubber boot was able to stretch without breaking at all, however I forgot to lube up the shaft (teehee) so as I was pulling with all my might when it reached the narrowing section, it suddenly gave way and I tore the original boot...all my effort to save that boot lost, so that's one less mk3 shifter boot around, whoops. The new OEM boot that I replaced it with however was coated in some sort of grease/lube on the inside, so it slipped into position extremely easily. I suspect the smaller boot that I squared out in my OP could also stretch as much, but worst comes to worst I can just simply cut it off since a new one likely has the grease on the inside to get it to fit without hassle, and these are still available from toyota.
Also worth noting for future viewers of this thread, the big outlined boot in my OP is actually stapled and fused with the big boot that has the metal frame (the boot above the large one I already outlined). You can pull out the staples and peel it apart though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts