Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members of Supra forum, I would like to ask you a very simple question. I'm about to buy a TOyota SUpra turbo 1995 with 3000 miles, it is incredable but true, the car is new, but the last time the engine ran was 4 years ago. My question is, do you think I can buy it without any consern that there could be damage to the engine because it hasn't been started during 4 years?

I think there shouldn't bee any damage since it has been in a dry area, away from humidity, down on a parking lot. I was thinking of just taking out the spark pulgs, puting new oil, make it build oil preasure cranking it with the starter with out the plugs, then but back the plugs and start it,
What do you think?

Thankyou very much for your advice

PS: THis is not in America, you don't have to think where should that car be... it is lost somewhere in the small undeveloped world

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
WhiteSupra said:
Hi members of Supra forum, I would like to ask you a very simple question. I'm about to buy a TOyota SUpra turbo 1995 with 3000 miles, it is incredable but true, the car is new, but the last time the engine ran was 4 years ago. My question is, do you think I can buy it without any consern that there could be damage to the engine because it hasn't been started during 4 years?

I think there shouldn't bee any damage since it has been in a dry area, away from humidity, down on a parking lot. I was thinking of just taking out the spark pulgs, puting new oil, make it build oil preasure cranking it with the starter with out the plugs, then but back the plugs and start it,
What do you think?

Thankyou very much for your advice

PS: THis is not in America, you don't have to think where should that car be... it is lost somewhere in the small undeveloped world
4 years? I'd pop the valve cover off and get everything lubed up, change all the fluids (radiator, tranny, diff, oil) and do like you said, crank it to get some oil flowing and then fire her up. I'd also bleed off the gas sitting in the lines and change the fuel filter.

Definitely change the oil soon after getting it running. Less than 1000 miles.. at least thats what i'd do, not sure if its really necessary, but why not? cheap insurance in my eyes.

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
The gas is likely crap so you'll want to drain it and change the filter and the rest of the fluids as Zylo said.

Also, you should just pull the EFI 1&2 fuses and crack the car. That will keep the injectors from putting fuel into the cylinders. If you pulled the plugs and cranked it, you would start flooding the cylinders.

·
I smell C-16 ;D
639 Posts
Both of the obove guys have great suggestions. I would also pull the plugs and squirt a small amout of oil in each cylinder just to lube the top end as well. Be sure to crank for a while before starting it. My car had been sitting for a while when I bought it and had a very slight piston rattle when I first started it due to lack of oil in the cylinders. Went away after about 30 seconds and hasn't ever done it again. Good luck and congrats on finding such a low mileage car. Drew

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou Drew, but the mission is not completed, I found it, now I have to buy it, hope nobody else interfere in my bussines, I hope I can buy it during the next 2 weeks

By the way, do you know what oil is recomended for the 6 speed trany and for the diff??

·
I smell C-16 ;D
639 Posts
Sorry, you can use other things in the diff. I just prefer redline. I meant only V160 lube in the tranny. There are other options for the diff. As long as you use something made for an LSD. Drew

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Drew, the SUpra has a TOrsen Diff, not an LSD, I 'm sure about this. According to Toyota repair manual the diff uses SAE 90, my question is in relation to a specific brand, you sugest Redline, Ok, but does Redline have SAE 90 oil??

WhiteSupra

·
Administrator
4,971 Posts
65vette396 said:
However the wiehgt of the lube isn't that big of a deal IMHO. Drew
As long as it is a heavier weight than stock. I fried the lsd in my old Z by running the lighter weight gear oil from Redline.

I used Royal Purple in my diff. last time I changed it. My record with Redline isn't too good. I used the ATF in my stock tranny, and that help contribute to it's demise. :doh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everybody. I want to bring back this post because We finnaly bought this Supra with 1051 miles of total ODO. It is incredable, a close friend of mine is the new owner of the Supra.
From today the only thing we've done is to drain the gas tank. First we tried to energyze the fuel pump and take the fuel out by the return line, but guess... the fuel pump is stuck. It doesn't starts. We took it out and the fuel pump is stuck, so we will have to repleace the pump.
The gas dosen't smells like gas. IT smells like and old painting... (I don't know how to describe it in english)
Now it's been 7 years the car hasn't been started.

I will send you pictures as soon as I have them
I will take out the inyectors for cleaning with ultrasound. during the week.
Any sugestions for the engine??

Andres

·
Registered
163 Posts
when i restored my supra when cranking it after 5 year the biggest problem i had was... ignition, fuel, and above all fluids.. so follow what every1 is saying and ull be fine

·
Registered
596 Posts
65vette396 said:
Only toyota V160 oil in the 6-speed and Redline synthetic gear lube in the diff. Drew
You can use Royal Purple Synchromax in the trans. I use it myself and there is a thread about it in the shop/parts review section.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'd do the clutch bypass mod before spinning the motor over to minimize the stress on the thrust bearing (and the chance of developing crank-walk) during all this process of trying to get the motor running.

As others have said, I'd try to flush the fuel system out as much as possible before starting the engine -- pull the inspection cover off the tank, siphon out all the fuel, dry it out, change the filter, put a little new fuel in, run the pump for a while to flush out the lines some more, drain the fuel out of the tank again and put in fresh fuel again.

I'd drain the oil, change the filter, then replace the oil and filter BEFORE starting the engine. Just use some regular 10w30 (to save money and because nothing better is needed at this moment). Then, after running the engine for an hour or so, I'd change it again, this time probably using synthetic, unless you want to do TWO quick dino oil changes for flushing purposes. Chances are, there's a good bit of moisture in the crankcase, and I wouldn't even start the engine before draining out as much as possible. I've seen oil look the color of melted milk chocolate after simply sitting in a rarely driven car for 1 year. After 7 years it may be pretty bad unless this is a climate where it stays at a constatant temperature and not humid.

I'd also suck the brake fluid out of the reservior and replace it. The fluid in the lines and calipers will probably be decent, but the fluid in the reservior will probably be in the worst condition. Assuming you'll do a complete bleeding and replacement later, but I'd replace the reservior fluid right away.

Then do a coolant change after you get the car running for an hour or two.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
this is amazing so you knew you friend when he first bought the car brand new then? Did you ask him why he bought it and only drove it 1,000 miles and then left it sitting. He must be a big baller lol

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The first owner was a 70 year old woman

HI, the first owner of the Supra was not my friend. It was an old woman that bought the car and never used it. She had an mk3 and decided to continue using the mk3 because the mk4 was to low... Incredably but true.
We have been chasing this car for 3 years, she was very rude tu us and never showed interest on selling the car. No we finaly did it.
I will post some pics soon. you wouldn't beleive it, it is like buying a supra at the Toyota dealer brand new. it still was the new smell.

Andres

1 - 20 of 63 Posts