Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any tips for cleaning injectors. Besides send the off.

I am building a supra from junk parts laying around and am tryin to do it for FREE basically using a gasket kit i already have and etc etc so i dont want to spend 60-80$ to have stock injectors cleaned on a stock motor that i am not even sure will run for a week

i have new seals and etc for them they are just coved in grease and nasty and prolly have never really been cleaned

so if anyone knows away to do it at home plz send me a tip

ps. i did search all i found was send them off and a lil bit on using gasoline which i will do if no other tips come up

THANX

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I once cleaned injectors by putting some paint thinner into a water bottle and jamming the injector in the top. Then I turned it upside down and squeezed the bottle. I connected a 9 volt battery to the connector cycling the injector, and forcing paint thinner to backwash through the injector. Worked pretty well.

·
89 Turbo
380 Posts
snowball said:

It was actual a RELAY!! Good spray steam. But all you can realy c is the leak from the seal I made.. dripping lol. I will c if I can get some other good ones…

^^^ i did this a while ago.
Worked prety well.

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
niice so u just ran water through them? or is it a chemical or something.

·
89 Turbo
380 Posts
Well water to flush the main stuff out, but then I used some other stuff *cant remember its been a while* to give it a nice clean and then washed it out with water again and let it dry.

G

·
for you guys that have tried it yourself, did you see how the spray pattern was before you cleaned it? just curious to see what kind of difference it makes ...

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i remember back in school we had this nice pretty machine thing that would pulse and clean them with the cleaner they had but its something that i dont have nor can get too but it would make a big difference

but the water hose and battery is a good idea thanks

ill prolly try that tomorrow

·
89 Turbo
380 Posts
diabolical1 said:
for you guys that have tried it yourself, did you see how the spray pattern was before you cleaned it? just curious to see what kind of difference it makes ...

I bought the car used. And cleaned a few things on it. I was not 100% for sure the quality of the injectors, so I cleaned them….. I don’t believe they where at all that dirty before I cleaned them. But what the heck.. they are clean now…

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
A pretty knowledgable guy at my local mom and pop auto store gave me some sea foam which he swore would clean them out. I just poured about half a can into my gas tank. I never looked back.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Ok, that is the coolest setup ever. But, wouldn't it make more sense to hook them up backwards to clean them? I mean if there's some build-up inside the injector, all that's going to do is get it lodged in the nozzle. If you're pumping water through the nozzle, the debris would fall out the back.

Edit: Yeah, seafoam would work too, but from what I remember about seafoaming engines was a lot of smoke, and really rough running :) . I think some fuel injector cleaner in the tank would work the same too.

BTW, if you want to clean out the carbon deposits inside the rest of your engine, take off a vac line on your intake, and stick it into the bottle of seafoam. your engine will quit out, let it sit, start her up, and get a nice huge white cloud out the back. That always pisses off the neighbours

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
sea foam didn't smoke when poured in the gas tank, only when you introduce into the intake from what I remember.

·
89 Turbo
380 Posts
annoyingrob said:
Ok, that is the coolest setup ever. But, wouldn't it make more sense to hook them up backwards to clean them? I mean if there's some build-up inside the injector, all that's going to do is get it lodged in the nozzle. If you're pumping water through the nozzle, the debris would fall out the back.

Edit: Yeah, seafoam would work too, but from what I remember about seafoaming engines was a lot of smoke, and really rough running :) . I think some fuel injector cleaner in the tank would work the same too.

BTW, if you want to clean out the carbon deposits inside the rest of your engine, take off a vac line on your intake, and stick it into the bottle of seafoam. your engine will quit out, let it sit, start her up, and get a nice huge white cloud out the back. That always pisses off the neighbours
Well, the chemical that I used would have dissolved the stuff inside…
But I did not want to hook them up backwards in chance of blowing out a screen or something inside..

·
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and i cant really seafoam the engine being that its on my stand wish u could tell me what chemical u used snow ball i am about to go try and clean them here in a minute

·
Registered
93 Posts
it does sound like a good idea to reverse the flow to get a better job in getting the deposits out of the injector but snowball is right, there is a risk of blowing out the filter screen inside the injector. You are better off just going with the actual flow of the injector but what I did was buy maybe 6 bottles fuel injector cleaner (6 for each injector), got a crank pump from the hobby shop for the fueling system for R/C cars and planes and hooked up the 12v to the plug if the injector. The result, clean injectors plus, no risk of them being damage by any other chemical that might just mess up the inner seals or the screen of the injector. I used the STP fuel injector cleaner and that did the trick. Not hard to setup but its time consuming since you go to find a way to put the bottle upside down (if you are creative to make some sort of a rack, then you will take less time the next time you clean the system), hook the injector to the 12v, turn the crank to make it flow and thats it. At most you will take to do it the first time is around 30-35min if you are patient and do it right. I would recomend this setup for anyone since it worked out well for my last supra. I got no pics of it right now but if you guys get what i did, try it out.

·
89 Turbo
380 Posts
shadowwolfsupra said:
oh, my bad, its one bottle of injector cleaner to one injector, sorry guys.
Lol was about to say. 6 bottle per injector WOW!!

But sorry man I cant remember what I used….. I did it a few months ago, but If I where you, I would go and just buy some auto injector cleaner. And it might be a little powerful because it will probably supposed to be diluted in the gas tank…
Good luck-
Let me know how it turns out.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
i am gonna try this ultra sonic claeaner thing that harbor freight has on sale :) as a cleaning liquid i will use 50-50 water and greesed lightning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts