Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heat is what kills automatic transmissions and the stock tranny doesn't have a very big pan to hold excess fluid which helps absorb and dissipate heat.

The first thing I would do to give your tranny the best chances at holding up for a long time would be to install an aux. cooler and perhaps an aux. filter and definitely a temp gauge.

Coolers:
28,000 lb. GVW, 11 in. x 8 in. x 1 1/2 in., transmission cooler and add a fan, (like the 7.5" Fan-Pull from SPAL USA) or

13 1/2 in. long x 9 in. high x 3 1/2 in. thick, 9 1/2 in. diameter fan, Hi-Tek transmission cooling system

Here's one example of how to mount the tranny cooler. Here's another.

When installing a cooler, the fitting on the driver's side of the tranny is the outlet, that is line you will want to place the cooler in. This will let the factory trans cooler do it's work and then allow the Aux. cooler to bring temps down even more.

Filter:
For use with automatic transmissions, standard, filter relocation kit which has a bung for a temp probe.

More pics of AT cooler and remote filter install.

This is the gauge I just picked up and many others are using:

2 1/16 in., 0-350 degrees F, with memory, green LEDs, digital transmission temperature gauge

It is also a really good idea to leave the traction control intact. The traction control operates a "Sub-Throttle" plate that closes during shifts on the stock tranny. This along with timing retard during shifts, protects the transmission from the large amount of torque that the Supra can produce at both full and partial throttle.

Changing/Flushing the fluid:

Also, it is very important that you change your tranny fluid much more often than the 15k mile interval that Toyota recommends.

For stock trannies, you must use Toyota T-IV ATF and I would recommend changing it ever 7500-10,000 miles or every other oil change. (dependning on level of mods, TC stall, and abuse)

For aftermarket trannies, you should use the fluid that is compatible with the clutch material being used.

Dropping the tranny pan will only allow you to change 3 out of the 6-8 quarts the tranny holds. (I can't remember exactly since my TC holds more fluid than the stocker) It is a good idea to find a shop or dealership who has a "T-Tech" or similar machine that facilitates a complete flushing of the system. The T-Tech machine basically allows the tranny to pull 16qts. of fluid through the entire system to allow a full flush.

Installing a FMIC:

When installing a FMIC you are going to have to chuck the factory electric pusher fan that sits in front of the radiator. This fan come only on the autos to help move air through the radiator both when the AC is on, or when coolant temp gets above ~200degrees. This helps the cooling system which is working hard to keep both the coolant and the ATF cool.

If you're going to spend upwards of $1200-1800 on a FMIC, I would recommend spending an extra ~$150 and getting a 13" Fan-Push from SPAL USA (SPAL is the "Ferrari of fans," they move a lot more air than most other manufacturers) The low profile will fit behind Greddy 3-row without a problem. (You may want to get a thicker one if you can fit it behind a different IC.)(Picture)

I think I've covered all the bases.

-Ryan Hawkins, PhD. in Supra Automatic Transmissions
(Tuition $10,000) :dunce:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.