Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been out of the scene for a long time, 8 years to be exact but I owned a 93.5 black 6 speed TT that long ago. Back when Allan Chen had his first yellow supra, if any of you know him. I am craving a supra again. Here is the car I am looking at right now.

1998 Super White A/T with 40k miles, all mint, never been modded. Honestly it is almost showroom condition, not a scratch or dent I can see in it and it is original paint as verfied by the local Toyota dealership, and the compression was all 155-160. Hell, the Toyota dealership offered me 30k for it after they looked at it, I had to tell them it was not mine. All the vin tags are there and the carfax is perfect, 1 lease/1 owner vehicle. The only drawback is that it is an Auto. But the production numbers *supposed to be relativly accurate* say that there were only 26 in the color/tranny combo exported for the US in 98'. As opposed to 68 - 6 speeds.

NADA has this car listed from $28-$33,000 depending on the shape but we all know that NADA does not depict "Market Value".

I just wanted to know what you guys thought was a

"Good Price"
"Decent or Fair Price"

Any help would be appreciated guys, I am 27 now and would love to jump back into one of these beast again! Thanks, Josh

I forgot to mention, I am active duty military, I have to do my research but you guys know alot more then me! Thanks again!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure this car was even worth low-30's before I made an offer. Most auto's go for low to mid 20's but then again, you do not see many 98's with low mileage and in pristine condition.

And do you know how accurate that chart is that says only 26 auto's were made in Super White in 98'? The same chart that says only 9 Auto Quicksilvers were made.

·
5,058 Posts
The chart is not 100% accurate.
With the mileage and condition I feel its worth it. Not too many clean supras left unfortunately.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 guys who have been here since 01'. That is what I needed to hear! I just called the guy and I am picking her up next week! And getting her for right at 30k with brand new Toyo's. :)
I wanted a 6 speed but I came across this car and said, "that is one auto I could live with."
I just wanted to make sure I was not getting ripped off. Thanks guys.

Now the question is should I keep it mint, unmodified? Or start making it original in a different way?

And now I will actually be a member of the forums instead of just a poster/reader! haha

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will also post you guys some pics that I take with my dig when I pick her up.

·
Registered
980 Posts
If it was me, I wouldn't mess with the body or paint. Keep it as mint as possible.

I'd do the BPU mods, and then when you get the itch for more power, sell it, get a 6spd, and APU it. You got a good price on it and could get your money out of it.

And thats because you sound like I would sound if I just bought the car....kind of wondering if you could be happy with an auto. Hell, who knows, you may like it just fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
is it the triptronic model ? too bad you guys cant import from Japan ey, i recently saw a 98 TT triptronic go for 23k

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do the bpu mods and then throw you a stall in there and you'll have a smile on your face.Seriously a stall converter is the biggest bang for your buck,its a whole different car with the stall.Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, If I dont end up liking the Auto Ill sell and go for the 6 speed but I will give it a try just because the year/condition/and the price(now that you all let me know it is a solid deal.) Thanks guys.

·
5,058 Posts
Congrats on the car.

As far as modding it, don't do any bodywork, just get some nice wheels, lower the car and go BPU. Thats all you really need in a street car.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
If you really get the itch to go all out with a single and all the goodies, sell it and buy the 6speed you have always wanted that is already complete with everything. It will save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice guys and all the help, I could just buy a 6 speed with all the goodies now but the cars with low mileage are tough to find.. There are plenty out there with over 100k miles and I am not really looking for that. So I am giving an auto a chance, and hope the BPU keeps my hunger satisfied. :rofl:

Any more imput from the rest of you guys?? :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hua and Dave are 100% correct. I bought a Bpu car and when I wanted more power I sold it and bought a singled 98. Keep the body stock or close to it. My first car was stock and the one I have now has a full kit that I really like, but as I look back on it I would stay stock. I's lower it, wheels, nice exhaust but no fear of going over speed bumps etc. lol

Congrats on a good find and thanks for your service. If you are ever up in the Charlotte area shoot me a line and I'll take ya to lunch. Enjoy your car. When you drive it I bet all kinds of memories will come back from the days of the 93.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Well if you could get that for $30k .. wow! That would be a steal. The prices have gone through the roof even more lately so I'm sure it could go for near 40. I've seen some pretty high mileage stock Supras go for ~40k. Either way, you found a gem! Go get her!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, she is mine on Tuesday as my cashier's check from USAA is on the way! And Barton, thanks for the words about the service, it is my pleasure but it is good to know people care out there. I never thought I would be happy living this life but it is a job that actually means something and I am able to afford and be comfy buying a Supra again! And Ill make sure to get to Charlotte for that lunch! You guys are a good group and Im happy to be part of this forum, I will keep learning alot and keep you guys updated on everything I am doing with her. Ill have some pics up for you late this week or this next weekend.

·
4 T's and an X
2,126 Posts
Cant wait to see pics of her. I dont know if I would keep it stock or modify it. There arent too many stock mint supras around anymore. Once you start increasing hp, you will always want more then there goes a mint stock supra. Congrats on the purchase

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again! Already searching for wheels! So many to choose from... :sadance: It is fun though, gives me something to do with my down time!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts