Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
First time was when I passed by a Toyota dealership by the Staples center in L.A in '97. Saw like 3 in line. I remember an RSP one vividly in my head. It look so gorgeous and clean as heck.

·
jUtn
1,075 Posts
first time was Fast and the furious, i thought it was another eclipse when spilner brought the supra on the truck.. i was 11 or 10 at the time , i didnt know shit about cars

·
Arrow
651 Posts
I first saw the Supra back in 1997 when I was about 7 or 8 years old. My cousin Justin was buying a brand new truck from the local Toyota Dealer and my parents happen to the ones to co-sign his loan. While waiting for him to look around and having had been always car crazy I walked around the dealer and sure enough they had a 1997 Red 6-Speed TT right on the show room floor (even though at the time I couldn't tell the difference between NA or Turbo). Fell in love and knew one day I'd own one.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
1997, Car and Driver magazine - and I still remember how the page looked. I was 13yrs old. Settled for a mkiii at 16, got rid of it.... Eventually bought my 94tt this year and it felt like home :) Now it's BPU and I'm keepin it until they stop producing gasoline!

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I knew of the earlier supras, but decided I wanted one when I saw the white MKIV on the cover of the Autoweek back in 92 or 93, (which I still have) that said "It's a car, it's a plane, It's Supra, man!"

Sometime thereafter, I convinced my friend to buy one; 6 months later, he decided to buy an NSX, and sold me the Supra...

·
Registered
975 Posts
My friends dad used to have a 1997 SVT Cobra with a vortech supercharger. He would let us take it out at night sometimes. I was probably about 16 at the time. We would wait at a light on Braddock road in a town called Centreville, VA that had about a good three mile stretch of road. We would always pick on cars to race. Two times we raced a guy in a black MKIV and he was the only guy that ever beat us. In 1997 a 500hp car was very hard to beat which is what the Cobra was pushing. I just remember him dusting us and reading Supra on the back of the car. I wanted the car ever since.

·
Registered
68 Posts
first time i sow this cute car and i loved it when i was playing Need for Speed in (3DO).... it was fantastic.
After that i fighted to get my MKIV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was about 1994, when I had no driving license yet, I found at the very first time a car with a cockpit like interior, and never forget its unique A/T handle which I thought of a combat aircraft throttle handle.

Nevertheless its superior body design and the sexy backlight cluster:kekegay: .

Cheers
Charles.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
It was love at first sight for me.

It was 1993 and I walked into my local Toyota dealership. There was a brand new red TT sitting in the showroom.

Sadly all I could afford at the time was a $16k Paseo, not the $60k Supra! :(

Peace
X2 almost exactly, but the first one I saw was black.. I remember walking though that door of the dealership perfectly... I was totally floored.

Man I miss the days when you could buy a Supra new... I really wish I had the money back then to do that. I tried very hard to buy one new in 97, but it was just not the right move at the time. Family first...

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Wow dude for someone with a slow ass vette on a supra board you come off kinda rude....
LMAO not sure where I came off being rude buddy but sorry, that movie was the first time I saw a Supra. What is wrong about that? Oh and as far as the Vette comment... Supras have to be modified to be faster than a C5. Oh and I see your local, how about this, you return your car to stock, since mine has no performance mods (this is a DD and isn't used to be a modified toy) and we see whose car is faster? Hope you were not this upset when you found out Santa Clause was not real either.

-Alex

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
LMAO not sure where I came off being rude buddy but sorry, that movie was the first time I saw a Supra. What is wrong about that? Oh and as far as the Vette comment... Supras have to be modified to be faster than a C5. Oh and I see your local, how about this, you return your car to stock, since mine has no performance mods (this is a DD and isn't used to be a modified toy) and we see whose car is faster? Hope you were not this upset when you found out Santa Clause was not real either.

-Alex
Perhaps you forgot that your corvette came out 5 years after the supra did.

Hehhhh perhaps your sig should say; I could trade my car for 30 mk3's or 1/2 of a mk4.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Perhaps you forgot that your corvette came out 5 years after the supra did.

Hehhhh perhaps your sig should say; I could trade my car for 30 mk3's or 1/2 of a mk4.
I know when the C5 and the MK4 came out thanks:bigok: . I was the one that was called out for driving a "slow ass" Corvette. I just thought I would point out that Supras are not faster than C5s unless they are modified. Why does that piss so many people off:scratch: . I love Supras and Vettes... and a lot of other fast cars. I know the faults and strengths of both. The MK3 crowd at least gets the joke, why don't you just lighten up.

-Alex

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was 13 (1984) there was a guy down the street from my grandma's house who had a red one/black one, a 1982. It had the black on it and the spoilers and fins black. My friend and I would go around the neighborhood and play "ghostbusters" with all this stupid equipment. We would always admire the car and go down to that house. Well 5 years later it was for sale and I was 18. The owner was like 42 and just retired from the Air Force..so he was selling it for $3250 or $3500 if he fixed the cruise control (didn't work) milage was under 70k. My friend bought it cause i had no money and his grandma had 6k for him to spend on a car :(. He had the original window sticker like $18,000 and change. Since he drove with his grandma I am the one who got to drive it to his house 20 miles or so. Nice...I ended up getting the 1988 Conquest a year later...my grandma co-signed YES! Mine was faster cause of the turbo.
My brother got a 1987 NA for $3000 back in 1996...then he sold it for $1500 in 1999.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I know when the C5 and the MK4 came out thanks:bigok: . I was the one that was called out for driving a "slow ass" Corvette. I just thought I would point out that Supras are not faster than C5s unless they are modified. Why does that piss so many people off:scratch: . I love Supras and Vettes... and a lot of other fast cars. I know the faults and strengths of both. The MK3 crowd at least gets the joke, why don't you just lighten up.

-Alex
Well I think your signature is ignorant, your post was ignorant, and your reply is ignorant. The only reason why your corvette (which just so happens makes a whopping 53 hp per liter) is faster then a stock mkiv isn't because it makes more power at the wheels (stock 6 speed tt's dyno around 300whp) its due to the fact that your car weighs a few hundred pounds less.

Now if you respect supras the way you say you do why don't you take out the stupid shit in your signature. The 301whp at 0psi try that or whatever it says is especially annoying because its not impressive for a engine that size. 52whp per liter is so 1964.

Now even a man two turns short of a light bulb not coming on can see that you are clearly barking up the wrong tree.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Well I think your signature is ignorant, your post was ignorant, and your reply is ignorant. The only reason why your corvette (which just so happens makes a whopping 53 hp per liter) is faster then a stock mkiv isn't because it makes more power at the wheels (stock 6 speed tt's dyno around 300whp) its due to the fact that your car weighs a few hundred pounds less.

Now if you respect supras the way you say you do why don't you take out the stupid shit in your signature. The 301whp at 0psi try that or whatever it says is especially annoying because its not impressive for a engine that size. 52whp per liter is so 1964.

Now even a man two turns short of a light bulb not coming on can see that you are clearly barking up the wrong tree.
LMAO the ole ricer mentality of hp/liter excuse huh? Nice:rockon: . More horsepower is more horsepower PERIOD. My signature is purely commical as even my friends in the MK3 section know that and actually have a sense of humor. Go get one.

LS1 350hp 375ft lb-tq
2JZGTE 320hp 315lb-tq
30hp MORE 60tq MORE

Quite using excuses for a marginalized power gap. Numbers are numbers.

Less weight is an added bonus. So again I say, a Supra has to be MODDED to be faster than a C5 PERIOD. Chalk up all the excuses you want but that is THE FACTS.

Like I said previously, I have love for both cars and respect the power that MK3s and MK4s CAN make. I have plenty of time involved in both camps. It's just pure ignorance to ignore the facts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Alright, It started when my brother bought a 1982 Black supra back 5spd in 85 or 86'. This is what was done..that i remember

lowered
all black mesh wheels (not sure the brand)
$1300 full body kit from japan (thats what he said)
full Alpine system with 2 8's, 2 15's, mids in the kickpanel, eq, etc...

I was young then, probably 8 yrs old, but i remember him racing with me in the car on the streets in San Francisco (not real street racing, just your typical red light or hwy pulls). At the time i really didn't think anything of it at the time since i was so young,

In 89' he sold that car and bought an 87' Supra Turbo 5 spd. White/blue interior. Had that til 94 when my sister wrecked it.

But it wasn't til about 95' that i saw an MkIV in person. My brother drove a friends black 93-95 n/a 5spd and picked me up in it. Since then i've been crazy about the MkIV.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts