Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "little" cousin has been wanting a [sports] car for a long time and he finally set his mind onto the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Being a teenager his price range is no more than $8k. We would prefer a a "bullet-proof" Toyota MR2 but where in gods name are we going to run into a nice one FS. So can you guys give me problems typical of the 3000GT? Tranny? Engine? How's its dependability say compared to a random Toyota or Honda? (Sorry if Im being stereotypical that Toyota is god, my dad basically raised us in Toyotas and we currently have 4 plus their family has 2. His dad will kill me if he buys a non-Toy and it turned out to be crap). He found a 1994 VR4 for ~$8k, 107k miles. Help any way you can about the 3000GT EXCEPT do not give suggestions on other cars to buy, that kid has enough trouble choosing between that, MR2, and Honda's.

·
Ov dsm reppin'
21 Posts
Well they are like dsm's but with an extra 2 cyclinders. Someone who's i know that own's a vr4 told me parts are kinda expensive and the tranny is so so.. Im not a expert in them though. I know alot more about dsm's

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Does he only have money allocated to purchasing the car, or does he also have money allocated to fixing it too?

Its a Mitsubishi/Dodge effort btw.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
koulee said:
Does he only have money allocated to purchasing the car, or does he also have money allocated to fixing it too?

Its a Mitsubishi/Dodge effort btw.
Lets just say he's 17. Well then how are Mitsu/DSM's in general?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dresden said:
3000gt is not a sports car. it is a GT car. pwnt.
i knew that a hundred years ago. i guess u get jollies off smart remarks.
320hp twinturbo AWD, running 13 seconds, I dont care what its considered. :rolleyes:

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
I wouldnt let him drive a Turbo MR2 for a 1st car. Its just not smart.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get your cousin a NA or SL rather than the VR4; they will have considerably less problems. In general, 3000GT's are tanks when it comes to collisions.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Well for starters, I have read and heard that they have weak a weak tranny. So encouraging him to lauch constantly will put him in deep debt. Aside from that, we all know that they are heavy (which for him won't matter since it's his first car and he just wants it) and they are a bitch to work on.

If he has no money after buying the car, it's prob not a good idea to do it. He'll practically need to do a 60K mile maintenance on the car as soon as he buys it if the seller can't recall maintenance dates or never did it. This just ensures that his car will run well for the future. For a timing belt change, seals, pumps, coils, plugs, fuel filter, etc. all that shit (NOT including electrical, braking, or suspension parts that can arise like ripped boots, cv joints, tires, etc.) he should have atleast $1K for immediate repair. Atleast.

This, to me would be my advice when buying a used car. That's what I did to my Supra and Accord after buying them. I scheduled a FULL tune up (maintenance) as soon as I bought them and drove them very little until their scheduled time to get the tune up. EVERYTHING (including fluids) from the dealer as I didn't want to rebuy, repay, and have to leave my car again at the shop.
Wish him good luck and if he does get the car, give him my advice. First buy, then maintain/repair, and finally enjoy. Good luck Supra_Dre.

8,181 Posts
if the vr4 comes with three extra trannies then get it.other wise stay away from them. tell ur cousin to buy a nissan 240 as his first car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The trannies are not too bad, the transfer case can be a prob though...If he only has 8K I would say to have him get an sl...He can pick one up for 6K in good condition and still have money to get it serviced. The SL is plenty of power for a young driver, and is alot of fun with a 5 spd. However if he can afford the maintenance, then the vr4 should be fine, as long as he gets the 60k service done, and has the transfer case checked out by mitsu.

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
Marc said:
Get your cousin a NA or SL rather than the VR4; they will have considerably less problems. In general, 3000GT's are tanks when it comes to collisions.
Agreed. I had a 93 NA and I got Tboned by a semi (he obviously wasnt going real fast) and the thing actually drove off and the cabin was completely intact.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Supra_Dre said:
My "little" cousin has been wanting a [sports] car for a long time and he finally set his mind onto the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Being a teenager his price range is no more than $8k. We would prefer a a "bullet-proof" Toyota MR2 but where in gods name are we going to run into a nice one FS. So can you guys give me problems typical of the 3000GT? Tranny? Engine? How's its dependability say compared to a random Toyota or Honda? (Sorry if Im being stereotypical that Toyota is god, my dad basically raised us in Toyotas and we currently have 4 plus their family has 2. His dad will kill me if he buys a non-Toy and it turned out to be crap). He found a 1994 VR4 for ~$8k, 107k miles. Help any way you can about the 3000GT EXCEPT do not give suggestions on other cars to buy, that kid has enough trouble choosing between that, MR2, and Honda's.
Hes how old and only has $8k to spend?!?!?!?!?! Dude, in that case, tell him to stay away from any car thats gonna cost a lot to maintain, the VR4 being no exception... for 8 grand, i would be smart, buy a nice clean 240, save more money and do a swap. Or even buy an EG hatch, and invest in that. With only $8k your "little" cousin would be an idiot to invest in that kind of car...this is just my opinion though...it seems like hes trying to bite off more than he can chew..but hey its his money!

·
2012 GT-R LAWL
122 Posts
Ive got a vr4, and yes they are fairly unreliable and hard to work on. I cant say I would reccomend one for a DD. I also have an mr2 turbo. Now that on the other had altough not as nice as my twin never gives me any real problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd pick it up for $8k (thats a steal for a good condition 94' even with 107k on it) resell it on 3si.org and buy a newer reliable honda for him.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If he doesn't have money he shouldn't buy one. They're fun cars but they're a pain to maintain. Also anyone who says otherwise is straight up LYING!!! I say all this with tons of first hand experience.

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
A 94 won't have tranny issues unless it already has them. The steel TC and 25 spline OS mean you can launch the bejeezus out of it and you're fine.

However, a 94 VR-4 w/ 100k+ miles is bound to give you some problems eventually. As long as you're willing to dish out a little TLC it's a perfectly fine car. I bought mine with 120k on it a while ago and drove it for 2 years with BPU mods and no problems beyond what it had when I bought it other than my starter eating shit.

Some more details about the car would be great. :)

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Buying any used sports car with some mileage on it whilst only having the funds for the initial purchase is a terrible idea.

Even if the car is mechanically sound (which it may/may not be), it will still kill him on insurance, tires, premium fuel, etc.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Northof49 said:
Buying any used sports car with some mileage on it whilst only having the funds for the initial purchase is a terrible idea.

Even if the car is mechanically sound (which it may/may not be), it will still kill him on insurance, tires, premium fuel, etc.
Yeah everybody dreams about owning that dream sports car, but never think about its upkeep.

A sports car in itself is expensive as it is already: they require more attention because they get abused more.

A turbo sports car makes it worse.

A twin turbo sports car is even worse than a single turbo sports car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts