Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're putting an aluminum flywheel RPS c/c in a 76GTS/cams car to go drag racing with. It will be on either an ET street or a full slick. I know most recommend a chromemoly flywheel, but this is what I have. Plus, I don't see why extra inertia weight is important when the tilton weighs 12# or whatever and everybody loves that for drag racing. Is the Aluminum going to hold up to 6000+ RPM slipping the clutch launches, or should I buy a chromemoly flywheel from RPS? The car should weigh about 3450 w/ driver. Thanks for any help-Nick

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I am running the aluminum flywheel on the RPS C/C. I have not really gotten on the car but when your targeted boost comes in, the rpms fly. Just have to shift fast. I like it. However many say the chromemoly is a better choice for drag.

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
The reason guys say the Chromolly is better is because of the weight. It creates more inertia which allows for you to over come the slicks easier when launching. You may have to increase your boost off the line (2 step) or rev higher when launching, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Steve

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the inertia principle, I actually have a chromemoly flywheel on my other Supra. I was just wondering if the aluminum posed some kind of heat/warping/durability issue when being slipped launching. I don't plan on using a 2 step or antilag either, so I will be relying on slipping it to get it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Since the mating surfaces themselves are all carbon, I don't really see how there could be a heat/warping issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts