Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

We all know you can make race gas #'s on E85. There seems to be a few ~1000whp dynojet cars, mostly fuel system limited.

Q16 (closest to E85 since its oxygenated) is about 116 octane while E85 is about 105 octane (and thats for summer blend), yet people are tuning to the same whp.

But since E85 doesnt exhibit the early signs of detonation like pump gas does, how far are people willing to push it?

At the end of the day, one could probably take his kill C16 map and target those HP numbers I suppose..

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
We pretty much treat E85 the same as C or Q 16. Remember that the fact that you are injecting 30% more fuel into the cylinder deters detonation greatly!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well thats reassuring that SP tunes that way.

What "grade" of E85 do you tune with? IL must almost be on winter blend now. Do you still tune "E70" winter as C16?

now to revamp my fuel system!

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts

What "grade" of E85 do you tune with? IL must almost be on winter blend now. Do you still tune "E70" winter as C16?

We have two maps for timing, one for pure pump gas, and one for 100% ethanol. The computer senses your ethanol percentage and automatically blends the two maps. Therefore if you are on E85, it uses 85% of the higher timing map, 15% of the lower etc. E70 it would use 70% of the higher, 30% of the lower. Pump gas has 7% ethanol in it typically so it uses 93% of the lower map, 7% of the higher. And of course you could run E98 or any blend of any of the above!! Of course the boost levels and fueling requirements are automatically set too!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya but you dont tune every car with a proefi 128 though.... AEM doesnt have that option nor does Haltech.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
ya but you dont tune every car with a proefi 128 though.... AEM doesnt have that option nor does Haltech.
Haltech will have it soon. :)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

I live very close to Sp and I get E85 at the local station and I just filled up last saturday and got the highest content of ethanol yet on my gauge. 83% When my car made 894 it was at 77%. I talked to the owner of the gas station and he said it is actually E85 and not E70 year round. I guess time will tell if it is or isn't.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Does Vipec V88 have that kind of tuning capability?

We have two maps for timing, one for pure pump gas, and one for 100% ethanol. The computer senses your ethanol percentage and automatically blends the two maps. Therefore if you are on E85, it uses 85% of the higher timing map, 15% of the lower etc. E70 it would use 70% of the higher, 30% of the lower. Pump gas has 7% ethanol in it typically so it uses 93% of the lower map, 7% of the higher. And of course you could run E98 or any blend of any of the above!! Of course the boost levels and fueling requirements are automatically set too!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I travel to Hoylyoke CO often and am shocked to see E95 offered at the pump. Holyoke is a very small 1 light town in northeast CO in the middle of the E-corn belt. I'd upgrade my aem to pro EFI but who has the time to play cars these days?

·
Mindset of a Killer...
1,778 Posts
Is AEM v2 a good ECU to use with E85? I am looking at doing the crossover to E85 in about a year and would prefer to keep the AEM if possible.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
We pretty much treat E85 the same as C or Q 16. Remember that the fact that you are injecting 30% more fuel into the cylinder deters detonation greatly!!
So,if E85 is like C & Q then what is E98 compared too???

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What do you guys think about squeezing 150_200 shot of nos with 35 lbs of boost on a 76 gts? I'm on c 16 now but considering switching over this winter ? You guys {tuners) have any experience or opinion on e 85 and nos

Staats

1 - 17 of 17 Posts