Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
man whore
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to graph HP VS Reliability where do you think the magic number would be for a supra with a stock bottom end?

I know it depends on the tune and lots of other variables, but it just seems like cars in the 600 hp range run year after year, 700 2-3 years is good? 800 hp lucky to get through the year? Is this correct or way off base what do you think.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
way off base

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't think too many people daily drive a Supra at 600+rwhp level, let alone 800rwhp. To do so requires racing gas, which would make daily driving the car inconvenient and very expensive.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The reason why I didn't answer the question thoroughly is because the the question was pretty vague. There would be many different factors that come to play. Is the car daily driven? a weekend warrior? do you hit full boost through every stop light?

All these things come into play.

·
man whore
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As far as my car goes:

I expect to drive this car to work most days in low boost with about 600 on 93 + methanol ( I only have a 10 minuet commute and will never be rely able to floor the car during the week any way )

I don’t rely care very much about ¼ mile stuff and don’t want to be that hard on my car so it will probably only go to the track 1-2 times a year. I expect to do some highway runs more than anything.

But the Question is more general than that.

At what point do you think the 2JZGTE stock bottom end becomes unreliable.

It must be some ware around 800HP since almost everyone over 850 has a built motor and almost everyone under 750 has a stock bottom end.

So if you say that is wrong give a reason y, don’t just say “way off base” and then don’t back it up with anything.

S

·
0 Posts
Well I'm at about 300rwhp, on pump gas, and I have no reliability issues :D

I expect to be able to get to about 400 with the same results, but higher than that, you need to remember that "you gotta pay to play." In other words, you can't expect huge hp without SOME compromise in reliability...more stress on parts means more of a chance for breaking them.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
I think anything under APU is fine as far as reliability is concerned. Even a small single is probably fine as long as the car isn't under alot of boost. If you're looking more for a number I'd say 500rwhp is probably as reliable as it'll probably get. Just my 2 cents

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Are you telling me that 600+ whp is voiding my Toyota factory warrenty!!! :)

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
I don't understand the point of this question. It's totally opinion-based.

Who cares what people "think"? If you're looking for peace of mind then the real answer is to build the motor.

·
Pays Cash, No Questions
2,308 Posts
Not just in the engine, but also mainly in the tuning... if you have a car that runs for shit, the best internals aren't going to save it. If you want a powerful car that will last a long time, then be sure that the tuning is dead on, along with the maintenance. These things are like kids - and mine's constantly broken!

·
man whore
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am trying to make the decision between a T78 with a 50-100 shot about 700HP.
OR
A T72 with a 75 shot to spool not on top about 800 HP.
OR
T72 on lower boost for safety at about 750HP

I care more about keeping the car running than making max HP but at the same time I did not spend all this time and money to make less than 700.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
you'll be fine with those mods. Whats really gonna kill your engine is a shity tune like 95legend said and spiking. Make sure you don't over or run lean. Dentenation is a BITCH!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
These guys are right - tune the car well, run good gas and a/f - and you should have a very nice life at over 750hp :) I beat on mine....pretty had last year from April - November, ran numerous low 10s at 139-142mph...

Just as the HP increases alittle issue in a tune becomes a big problem more quickly! Get a good tune on a mustang dyno and you should have no probs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I dont think any of you are making sense! Toyota blocks are bulletproof if treated well, as long as its tuned you are safe up to 900hp stock block but why would you? I think at a certain point its not about if its a toyota block or any other block the cylinders pressures become very high and some parts become weaker. Thats an obvious answer, but if I were to guess a hp number that these engines can run for years and years I would stick to 600hp. Plus if you drive the car daily like you said why would you even think about a big turbo + nitrous? It makes no sense. Get a smaller turbo and enjoy its a supra!

·
cinnamon jelly bean
1,653 Posts
Philly Single said:
These guys are right - tune the car well, run good gas and a/f - and you should have a very nice life at over 750hp :) I beat on mine....pretty had last year from April - November, ran numerous low 10s at 139-142mph...

Just as the HP increases alittle issue in a tune becomes a big problem more quickly! Get a good tune on a mustang dyno and you should have no probs.
I completely agree with Jay and everyone else about making sure the tune is dead on. Also remember that in an 800hp supra, youre not making that just driving around the city and not boosting it. You even said on your drive to work you wont really ever have a chance to boost it much. It's definitely important to have that tune dead on and safe in order to be reliable but also remember you basically drive an N/A supra until you decide to unleash hell.

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
91turbo2 said:
I dont think any of you are making sense! Toyota blocks are bulletproof if treated well, as long as its tuned you are safe up to 900hp stock block but why would you? I think at a certain point its not about if its a toyota block or any other block the cylinders pressures become very high and some parts become weaker. Thats an obvious answer, but if I were to guess a hp number that these engines can run for years and years I would stick to 600hp. Plus if you drive the car daily like you said why would you even think about a big turbo + nitrous? It makes no sense. Get a smaller turbo and enjoy its a supra!
It make perfect sense.....the posters and the thread starter are refering to the short-block, not just the block iteself.

To the topic, a good tune is the key...and a shop not f'n with things they shouldn't helps too. Speaking from experience unfortunetly.

Brad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts