Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put in my hpf unsprung feramic clutch with the act hd plate and resurfaced stock fly and now im at 750 miles of mild driving with no launches yet and this thing chatters like crazy. hpf couldnt give me an answer so i ask some of you for a fix. it also chatters when the a/c is on and when im on and off throttle in the low 2k rpm range.i read somewhere that when it chatters just hold rpms at 6k rpm and let it out in 1st gear. well. tried it and the tires just light up no matter how easy i try.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Drift tt 23, I'm running the exact same setup as you but with a brand new oem FW. Does it chatter when your sitting in idle and does the chatter go away once you press the clutch pedal?

·
Banned
942 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
i put in my hpf unsprung feramic clutch with the act hd plate and resurfaced stock fly and now im at 750 miles of mild driving with no launches yet and this thing chatters like crazy. hpf couldnt give me an answer so i ask some of you for a fix. it also chatters when the a/c is on and when im on and off throttle in the low 2k rpm range.i read somewhere that when it chatters just hold rpms at 6k rpm and let it out in 1st gear. well. tried it and the tires just light up no matter how easy i try.
You may be confusing 2 different things. I think of chatter as the engagement noise and jerkiness that arises from new clutch engagement or very agressive clutch engagement. Rattle is the sound your tranny makes at idle with the clutch pedal pressed in (which has nothing to do with the clutch)

If it is rattle, then your flywheel is probably junk. About 50% of the time I dry-turn a flywheel it ends up being junk. They only last around 60,000 miles before the dampening goes away. Or turning them and allowing material to get in the cracks will destroy them.

If it is chatter, then you'll need to bring the rpm's up when you leave from a stop. You'll need to raise it high enough to eliminate the jerkiness (usually on the Feramic, about 1500rpm for around 200-300 miles will do it). If you don't do this, the chatter will NEVER go away.

Hope this helps.
Chris

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the jerkyness of 1st gear engaugement is like its on a chain drive that skips a tooth. i can feel the shifter stutter as is engauges, and this is only 1 out of 5 starts in first gear. i also hear the rattle when clutch is not pressed in at idle. if i press in clutch it is gone,no noise at all .

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
^^ Drift tt I have the same clutch and it will get slightly better. But always try to rev the rpms higher (~2000 rpms) before letting the clutch out. You just have to get used to it.

·
Banned
942 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
well the jerkyness of 1st gear engaugement is like its on a chain drive that skips a tooth. i can feel the shifter stutter as is engauges, and this is only 1 out of 5 starts in first gear. i also hear the rattle when clutch is not pressed in at idle. if i press in clutch it is gone,no noise at all .
You have both #1 and #2 that I mentioned above. The rattle will never go away. It's because your flywheel is no longer dampening as it should. This won't hurt your car but is annoying and can sometimes make the car jerk back and forth on decel in the lower gears.

The jerkyness of 1st gear engagement will get better as you break the clutch in.

Take care,
Chris.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ChrisBergemann said:
You have both #1 and #2 that I mentioned above. The rattle will never go away. It's because your flywheel is no longer dampening as it should. This won't hurt your car but is annoying and can sometimes make the car jerk back and forth on decel in the lower gears.

The jerkyness of 1st gear engagement will get better as you break the clutch in.

Take care,
Chris.

thank you for your input. ben over at hpf didnt have any ideas on this issue. i have about 700 easy miles so far. im headed to the track at about 750 miles for a few launches.

·
Banned
942 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
thank you for your input. ben over at hpf didnt have any ideas on this issue. i have about 700 easy miles so far. im headed to the track at about 750 miles for a few launches.
Drag racing with it will also smooth it out a bit. :)

Take care,
Chris.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
So wait, the feramic clutch will chater at idle even after break in?

·
Banned
942 Posts
94Silver said:
So wait, the feramic clutch will chater at idle even after break in?
A single disk clutch will NEVER chattle/rattle when the car is simply idling. When the car is idling the clutch is either depressed with the tranny in gear (in which case the disk is not touching either the flywheel or pressure plate) or the car is in neutral and the clutch is out (in which case the disk is sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate with over 3000 lbs of force). Neither condition will make a chatter or rattle due to any single disk clutch. Any noise while idling with a single disk clutch is due to the tranny.

Now during clutch engagement that's a different story. The more agressive the clutch, the more the likelihood the clutch will chatter during engagement at a lower rpm.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info.now i guess ill just deal with the rattle sound from the flywheel as long as it doesnt hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
ChrisBergemann said:
A single disk clutch will NEVER chattle/rattle when the car is simply idling. When the car is idling the clutch is either depressed with the tranny in gear (in which case the disk is not touching either the flywheel or pressure plate) or the car is in neutral and the clutch is out (in which case the disk is sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate with over 3000 lbs of force). Neither condition will make a chatter or rattle due to any single disk clutch. Any noise while idling with a single disk clutch is due to the tranny.

Now during clutch engagement that's a different story. The more agressive the clutch, the more the likelihood the clutch will chatter during engagement at a lower rpm.
Well

I used to have a RPS lightweight Flywheel + RPS clutch (single disk) and it chatter pretty bad, thats the reason why I went with the feramic set up, because I thought it would not chatter.. I haven't installed mine yet so I'm just wondering what to expect.. I got the unsprung disk + RPS preasure plate + stock flywheel, this combo wont make any noise right? and if it does what can I do to resolve it?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Driftt 23, I put another brand new OEM throwout bearing and the chattering is gone now.

However, when I first had the car with stock disk,fw, and pp...I had chatter at idle and that was either the TO or the FW or could've been both. I've heard people gettin that chatter from a BAD than a bad FW. Good luck.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im confused now, no matter what setup i had it always rattles at idle with clutch out not in gear. i had fidanza lw fw and act disc and rattles everytime. and now stock fw and feramic and it rattles the same way. i used a new throw out bearing everytime so what could it be?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You guys are getting the two terms confused. Look at Chris's earlier clarification below he describes it very clearly.

Rattle = Noise at idle when clutch isn't depressed
Solution = Raise the idle to 1000 or above.

Chatter is the back n forth jerkinsess when engaging from a dead stop.
Solution = Further breaking in the clutch will reduce it but will always be there & also always let out of 1st gear keeping the revs approx 2000 rpms or above from a stop. You just have to get used to it.

Hope this helps you out a little more.

ChrisBergemann said:
You may be confusing 2 different things. I think of chatter as the engagement noise and jerkiness that arises from new clutch engagement or very agressive clutch engagement. Rattle is the sound your tranny makes at idle with the clutch pedal pressed in (which has nothing to do with the clutch) Chris

·
Banned
942 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
im confused now, no matter what setup i had it always rattles at idle with clutch out not in gear. i had fidanza lw fw and act disc and rattles everytime. and now stock fw and feramic and it rattles the same way. i used a new throw out bearing everytime so what could it be?
I've spoken with a few people who get the rattle regardless of a new flywheel and new throw-out bearing. This may be due to the tranny getting sloppy inside and rattling more than the flywheel can dampen it. The other wierd thing I found one time is that I had a socket wedged between the tranny and body of the car bringing all the tranny sounds inside. Just make sure you have a pilot bearing installed. It's pretty easy to forget about putting one back in. :)

Other than that, you can raise your idle if you have an AEM. My idle is set at 1,100 rpm once warm.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
OOPs, I meant rattling not chattering. thanks for pointing that out correctly Taimur.

Drift tt 23, PM me if you'd like to speak to me more into detail about your rattling issue. I had this issue ever since i bought the car and drove me nuts for 2+years untill I got a new clutch in and then put another clutch in and the rattling came back and now gone. It used to bug the life out of me. Made the car sound like POS.

Also, Chris B. has ALWAYS been such a perfect guy and helped me with every little issue I had with his clutch setup. He is definitely an A+ with customer support not with just his clutch kits, but with whatever you buy from him.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah between the rattle ,valve stem smoke and hawk sqeualing brakes and 1500rpm 1 st gear starts my car looks and sounds like a broken hunk of shit. but then you see me blast off down the street/track and take a second guess. now i have to fix these minor things to make all perfect again ..its a never ending process for perfection.

·
Banned
942 Posts
drift tt 23 said:
yeah between the rattle ,valve stem smoke and hawk sqeualing brakes and 1500rpm 1 st gear starts my car looks and sounds like a broken hunk of shit. but then you see me blast off down the street/track and take a second guess. now i have to fix these minor things to make all perfect again ..its a never ending process for perfection.
You MUST put the anti squeel shims back on with the fluid that comes with them. There are 2 metal pieces for each pad. New rotors / pads shouldn't squeak if you put these on the new pads.

You could order new anti squeel shims if you're missing them.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Toyota/Supra_93-98/performance/Brakes/Brake_Anti_Squeal_Shims/part/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts