Supra Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Banned
3,771 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks JonnyRedline. I read that and do recall that, it has a lot more GOOD pictures than I recall. Awesome. Still need a pic of the final product with your BOV installed :)

Looks like I'm ready for the weekend project! Thanks all, maybe I'll post pics as well.

· wastegate hose is pulled
4,779 Posts
Ok, I went out and snapped a few more pictures for you. Hopefully freepichosing holds up. You may notice that the fender to 3000 pipe sits a bit proud on my car. That is due to the size of the compressor cover on the turbo I have on there. I have the Greddy type RS BOV.

· Banned
3,771 Posts
how does the RS compare to the type S and the type R? the way it sounds and the way it holds boost?

4,779 Posts
I think the RS is replacing the type S. The valve is a bit bigger and supposedly holds more boost. I haven't given it a proper test just yet to see how much it will hold. I'm not much of a sound buff so? I just got it to plug up the hole in the pipe and hopefully save the turbo some stress...

· Banned
3,771 Posts
reason i asked about the sound is cause the type S has one of the most unique sounds out there meanwhile the type R is like PAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! BEAST!!! hahaha so was just curious what the rs would sound like....maybe somewhere in between the two? :dunno:

· Stock Boost SUX
1,793 Posts
Id like to know more about the RS as well. Im thinkin about goin that direction when I get a BOV (next mod). Im stuck between that one and the Tial.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I'd like to know more about the OIL COOLER and RAD OVERFLOW and how some of you kept those in stock locations. Did you follow the instructions or did you do something special?

(obviously some of you don't follow instructions or you would have removed the front bumper to install ) :) Any tips and pictures would be really great. The HPF installation images that come with the kit are a page of black and white thumbnails so we need to pick up the slack.

4,779 Posts
Instructions? What are those?

My overflow isn't quite in the stock location, if you look carefully. I tucked the overflow up under the upper radiator support piece (the A/C condenser is still there).

I was going with an aftermarket oil cooler at the same time so, that wasn't an issue for me.

This isn't an especially difficult install. Invite a few local Supra owners over, put the intercooler kit in, and fire up the barbecue in time for lunch. Then go test it out after nightfall. ;)

Sorry, I dunno what else to say about the RS, it is a BOV, it works so far.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just wanted to update my post and give my impressions after installing this "kit" (implying this is a bolt on kit would be quite generous).

Here is what I had to do and some impressions:
CUT about 1" area out of the bumper/hood latch support (rotozip)
REMOVE my PS cooler ('91 is finned, no way in hell to "bend it out of the way")
Bend stock IC mounts
Bend A/C lines
Bend PS lines
Relocate my oil cooler (extra post on IC for oil cooler was not tapped correctly so supplied bolt didn't tighten!)
All of the hardpiping seemed to be as much as an inch off in places so couplers stressed
STILL had to use the lower stock rubber piping to the stock metal 90 bend
BOV location was no where close to the TB

Needless to say for $1000 I am extremely dissapointed! Took about 4 hours to modify and screw around with things and it never ended up "right", talk about frustrating. I like HPF as a company but I was really looking forward to a great product but right now this gets a huge thumbs DOWN from me.

· Supra Fan
3,947 Posts
bcg04 said:
Needless to say for $1000 I am extremely dissapointed! Took about 4 hours to modify and screw around with things and it never ended up "right", talk about frustrating. I like HPF as a company but I was really looking forward to a great product but right now this gets a huge thumbs DOWN from me.

Yes the fact that the lower i/c pipe only replaces half of the stocker sucks. I didnt buy the it for that reason manily, and also price. I was lucky enough to find a nice used kit i bought of quikstrike with aluminum piping and big i/c. Seems like hpf might of left that rubber section going to the turbo to make it more universal so people with custom manifolds/turbo's, or at least thats what i figured. Even though $1000 seemed high to me, but in reality there are not any other bolt i/c kit that compares in price.

· Registered
6,546 Posts
Has your car been in any acidents?

1991 was the first year for the finned PS cooler, and I'm not sure if anyone else with a 91-92 is using our kit. I'll update the description on the HPF site though. It does already mention that you'll use the stock turbo-cast 90 degree lower piping (because I'd say 7 out of 10 people getting this kit are not on the stock turbo)

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hey Jeff, that would be cool.

No accidents on the car, I thought about that as well but there was no structural issues. When I was putting the IC in the car it seemed if the side mount points were about 1" lower it would have fit perfectly. Instead I had to rotozip about 1" square out of the front bumper/hood latch support, and then it fit with the IC mounts. This accentuated the need for bending up the A/C lines even more than has been previously documented.

And another issue - the hardpipe on top of the IC had to be angled about 15 degrees (coupler bent not piping) just to make it laterally through the bumper support hole across the front. I've seen others like Chevyeater's who are perfectly straight across. I believe due to this it caused this "offset" which continued throughout the install causing things to be off.

And of course whatever that post is that created on the IC for oil cooler? that was not even able to tighten with the bolt supplied so I had to improvise.

And yes I understand about the 90 degree bend and knew about it - not all turbo setups are the same and it makes sense.

Please look at the pictures of the IC install - http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2682

thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.