Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it.

It's just advertising. The Supra is a high standard of performance to alot of people and the moniker "Supra killer" is something many would proudly answer to(and aspire to).

HPF does alot more business than just Supras.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I'm at work. Can't see youtube. What is it?

·
Champagne Papi
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There first attempt as how I see it. I agree with you.. the supra has earned alot of respect and anytime its name is brought up both import and domestic owners can give credit. But I don't see this anymore than selling out to the supra community, in order to gain interest from the M3 crowd.

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
I know what video you were refering too. I just want to open up that motor and take a peak in it.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to sell things.

They've discontinued manufacturing anything Supra related, and with all of the time and energy they put into the BMW now, they need to recoup some costs. ;)

Besides, they're just filling a niche before someone else does. I'd like to think that M3 owners have just as deep if not deeper pockets than Supra owners. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think that HPF are really talking smack about the Supra but like some others have said they are using the Supra's reputation to advertise some new products they have developed for a new platform they are pushing now. Consider it flattering to know you own something that everyone strives to compete with or beat... but after watching that video and I'm not calling HPF liars or that they are misrepresenting what they have accomplished but I for one can't believe that the car in the video is only running 11 psi and the Supra's running 25 + race gas and got pulled on like that top end in the last race. NO WAY... I not buying it, something isn't right or things are being exaggerated a bit. If not then the eggs on me and I guess I'm going to be looking at getting a used M3 and not the 335i anymore for my daily driver... I don't follow BMW stuff to much but if memory serves me right I remember the first year that body style M3 came out they had so many motors let go in stock form with just some hard driving and I know they had adressed the problems but to go from one year a motor that blew NA just with some spirited driving to go to a motor that can handle 6 to 7 hundred horsepower with boost seems hard to believe considering the motor was designed to be a high stung NA I6. The Supra was designed from the ground up to be boost friendly so I'm sure the engineers built in tolerances for more power once guys like us got our hands on them they knew we would be pushing the envelope but I still can't see how that motor can make that kind of power with such little boost and stay together... but I've been wrong before so if anyone can enlighten me some I'm all ear.

Joe

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's more a compliment than anything really. They could have said X killer where X is a car worthy of beating and they picked Supra.

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
Cause they have a new Supra Killer.

Even though the last Supra vs Turbo M3 was kind of one sided with the Supra having a TH400, lol.

I think if both the Turbo M3 and Supra were on even grounds. Same turbo, race gas, six speed, I would say it'd end up being a driver's race.

But I'd still like to take a peek in that original "stock internals" Turbo M3.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
i am happy for the M3 owners. i think its not like they are bringing down the supra. its just the way to promote something.

·
Champagne Papi
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was supra's that made them who they are today, for them to go around and put the supra down in order to sell kits is rediculous in my opinion. I am not applying they are sell outs because they made a turbo kit for the m3. It's a smart business decision to move on from the supra community to something newer. Lets face it.. almost all supra's are modded these days.. and Horse Power Freak's definately doesn't come to mind as the best motorsports for the supra and it looks like they've made quiet a impact in the bmw community with titles and videos such as "Supra killer". Alex I agree with you, there are alot of impressive turbo bmw's.. but they are saying that M3 is COMPLETELY stock with their turbo kit on it. Meaning stock exhausts, stock cats and so on.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
I know you do not intend it Shant, however this is bordering on a tasteless shot at Horsepower Freaks just because you don't like the way they advertise something and it will get you nowhere. Some things have been said on e46fanatics in the past - and the wording may have sounded a bit aggressive, but this in no way hurts anyone. HPF is in the business of building fast cars and there is nobody who can say they are wrong for comparing their past work to their future projects if it is going to help them grow.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
id do the same thing if it was my business. Like someone else said "you should take it in as an honor that everyone wants to have something to beat a 10+ year old car!" Any young kid with daddy's wallet hears the words "supra killer" and you just sold a LOT OF PARTS!!! which brings in a TON of money.

Also the BMW aftermarket for insanely quick cars is very slim. ANd thats how it was for the supras a few years back. Now you can get single kits for little over 3k. And build a great setup for 8k?!?!?! That isnt going to bring a company like HPF big dollars. Something like the BMW market where they are one of the only companies out there doing "big things" they can charge what they want and make as much as they want.

In business terms- YOu could make a helluva killing

As a Supra Enthusist- Kinda sucks but there needs to be more competition on the roads, everythign else is just to easy for singled supras :D

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
Well considering, he's got somewhat an actual thought going on. You have to.

I don't care for the stock exhaust, stock cats, I want to crack open the motor and see their "stock" bottom end.

I'd also like to this magic computer they have and how it runs piggyback with the BMW sensors.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Hrmm lets see we have high school Supra owners trying to make thier cars as cheap as possible, with knock-off everything, ebay turbo kits and intercoolers, Ruff wheels, replica body kits. Anything produced is copied and made as cheaper (note the use of the word cheap referring to quality, not in-expensive).

Along comes the E46 which is now going to drop in the affordable to mod range, with limited after market support other than Active (bring your arm and a leg), so you can charge full boat and not worry about eBay taking your market share. Sounds logical to me. It also didn't hurt that he hired one of the 2-3 main guy behind the AEM EMS when they left, and can now make proprietary boxes to his specifications the RIGHT way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts