Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a proud Authorized Dealer and personal owner of HRE wheels, I am posting this per HRE's request:

In a post made in AudiWorld.com on June 5, 2005, a number of accusations were made regarding HRE’s products. The content of this original thread has been posted on a number of forums and raised questions regarding the use of our wheels in race conditions, the overall quality of our products and the integrity of our company. Also included in these posts was the statement that HRE wheels are banned from VRL, PCA and IMSA and included photos of a broken wheel that is NOT an HRE wheel.

When this thread surfaced, HRE took it very seriously and after considerable investigation into the alleged failures and contacting these organizations regarding the supposed bans, HRE learned that this information was false. If anyone would like further information regarding this issue or if anyone has any concerns about the race worthiness or quality of their HRE wheels, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

As chief engineer for HRE I am intimately aware of the technical issues surrounding the design and construction of our wheels and the challenges posed by racing and street use. I will address each and every one of your concerns personally.

Sincerely,

Alan Peltier

Alan Peltier
COO, HRE Performance Wheels
760-598-1960
[email protected]
www.hrewheels.com

·
Registered
593 Posts
As a proud Authorized Dealer and personal owner of HRE wheels, I am posting this per HRE's request:

In a post made in AudiWorld.com on June 5, 2005, a number of accusations were made regarding HRE’s products. The content of this original thread has been posted on a number of forums and raised questions regarding the use of our wheels in race conditions, the overall quality of our products and the integrity of our company. Also included in these posts was the statement that HRE wheels are banned from VRL, PCA and IMSA and included photos of a broken wheel that is NOT an HRE wheel.

When this thread surfaced, HRE took it very seriously and after considerable investigation into the alleged failures and contacting these organizations regarding the supposed bans, HRE learned that this information was false. If anyone would like further information regarding this issue or if anyone has any concerns about the race worthiness or quality of their HRE wheels, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

As chief engineer for HRE I am intimately aware of the technical issues surrounding the design and construction of our wheels and the challenges posed by racing and street use. I will address each and every one of your concerns personally.

Sincerely,

Alan Peltier

Alan Peltier
COO, HRE Performance Wheels
760-598-1960
[email protected]
www.hrewheels.com

I am so glad you have posted this Dusty! thanks :) :) after hearing these rumours/false accusations from acquaintances, i found it hard to believe.

Im glad i have HRE wheels, and theyre are still the best IMO! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is good news, considering I have HRE 19 inchers... and on my Audi no less.

Multiple weld & straightening repairs later, I can say without a doubt that these rims are nothing but trouble.

·
Inline for the win
4,738 Posts
Dusty,

I heard this over two years ago not to mention I and another individual were aware it was another manufacturer than HRE.

DP

·
Registered
218 Posts
Elaborate please?
Sure. Though I run it hard, the S is used as a DD and never raced...

- one of my tires had a minor leak, turns out the wheel had a slowly growing crack on the interior, required weld repair

- on two or three separate occasions I've had to take the S in to a wheel shop because of bent rims... was both visible and ride-noticeable

- and now again I have to take it in, at least 2 of the rims are bent causing same conditions noted above

... All in less than 2 years of ownage.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're bending that many wheels maybe you should consider the surface you're going over? You have to be hitting something to cause them to bend. Do you have low profile tires?

Regards,

Dusty

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you're bending that many wheels maybe you should consider the surface you're going over? You have to be hitting something to cause them to bend. Do you have low profile tires?

Regards,

Dusty
^ very true, bends and cracks are usually caused by smacking big pot holes or bad roads.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The surface I'm going over is asphalt!

Yes low profile, 19" on an Audi is like 19" on a Supra. Not extreme or uncommon though.

It doesnt take much more than a simple non-descript bump on the road to add a bend to these wheels... over time all these tiny bends add up & cause the wheels to vibrate at certain speeds (@ 55 and 75, this time around).

I am an aero/materials engineer, so believe me when I say the aluminum HRE uses is softer than any other I've come across on a wheel.

·
Inline for the win
4,738 Posts
The surface I'm going over is asphalt!

Yes low profile, 19" on an Audi is like 19" on a Supra. Not extreme or uncommon though.

It doesnt take much more than a simple non-descript bump on the road to add a bend to these wheels... over time all these tiny bends add up & cause the wheels to vibrate at certain speeds (@ 55 and 75, this time around).

I am an aero/materials engineer, so believe me when I say the aluminum HRE uses is softer than any other I've come across on a wheel.
I concur, but you also forgot the main preventative ingredient to decrease your chance of impact, proper air pressure in the tire.

I, for one, have had a prior wheel get bent due to low air and bump in the asphalt from road shifting. The amount in tire at the time of the impact was only 23lbs. The odd thing was I didn't feel it get bent nor did it show any vibration.

In addition, I have delt multiple brands of forged wheels and seen some perform and some disgust me. In the end, I keep going back to one.

DP

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
I've been having the same bad luck with the 18" CCW classic wheels. I've sent them in twice already for repair. Granted, 285/30/18 on the fronts, but I do hit some nasty pot holes here in Jersey. CCW has always provided excellent service (althouth at a price) on shipping wheels and fixing them.

But, like any 18/19" wheel with low profile tires, they will bend. I was informed 38-40psi in the front will prevent this. True?

·
Turbos and Tattoos FTW
1,981 Posts
Never owned a a set of HRE's..but i got the same info about them being to soft and easily bendable..but that is just hear say...so i have reason to dislike them other than i cannot afford them..I love CCW and Iforged
Not sure sure about the tire pressure dres99gsx..but i have had my front classics fixed because of the shitty NM roads.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Good info here!

I for one would never pay the price for HRE's cause i dont believe in paying for a name. There are other companies who make superior products for almost half the cost :D
But i do understand people just HAVE to have the status and name HRE on their car.

·
Premium Member
10,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good info here!

I for one would never pay the price for HRE's cause i dont believe in paying for a name. There are other companies who make superior products for almost half the cost :D
But i do understand people just HAVE to have the status and name HRE on their car.

I chose HRE b\c they make exactly what I need in terms of size and offset. I chose them b\c of their quality and proven track record. I chose them b\c they know how to come up with their own wheel designs instead of trying to mimic others like I-Copy, er, I-Forge.

If I cared about "status" I would sell my "Toyota" and buy a "Viper". :D

Cheers,

Dusty

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I chose HRE b\c they make exactly what I need in terms of size and offset. I chose them b\c of their quality and proven track record. I chose them b\c they know how to come up with their own wheel designs instead of trying to mimic others like I-Copy, er, I-Forge.

If I cared about "status" I would sell my "Toyota" and buy a "Viper". :D

Cheers,

Dusty
YOU BASTARD!!!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts