Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wassup guys...long story short, i bought 3 defi d-gauges ( the ones where you dont need a control unit) boost, water temp, oil pressure....now the boost only needs to connect to ground and light...but the other 2 gauges need to be wired to ignition, power, grnd, light...i used this diagram to connect them all...i hooked up all the gauges to those 4 wires...
(http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=47538&highlight=greddy+gauge+diagram)

now when i started it up, i noticed a smoking comming from the left side of the dash...it was 1 of the 3 wires that hook up to the dimmer switch...it was fuckin eating away the insulation and making the plastic bubble...but wierd thing is that it only bubles in the middle of the wire, the bottem and top are fine...now i disconnected all the gauges i hooked up and the wire heated up again and started smoking...of coarse the dash wouldnt light up...now i just noticed that the wires going to the cig. lighter are also smoking and eating thru the plastic insulation...

so to recap...installed gauges, turn car on and all lights dim (gauge cluster and gauges), then smoking arises from cig lighter wires and dash dimmer knob...when i disconnect gauges, problem persists....also it only happens when i connect the dimmer light harness into the plug...if i disconnect it from the plug...nothing happens

WHATS WRONG AND WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?! :( please help me guys

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
holy shit dude, that sucks...

maybe when purchase time comes around, if you havent gotten it figured out i can bring my freind along who is a damn electrical wiz(i wont do electrical shit myself without him there) to take a look at it...good luck, shit...

-mike

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn Mike,,,that would be freakin awesome! thanks man

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
TaBooLeH21 said:
wassup guys...long story short, i bought 3 defi d-gauges ( the ones where you dont need a control unit) boost, water temp, oil pressure....now the boost only needs to connect to ground and light...but the other 2 gauges need to be wired to ignition, power, grnd, light...i used this diagram to connect them all...i hooked up all the gauges to those 4 wires...
(http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=47538&highlight=greddy+gauge+diagram)

now when i started it up, i noticed a smoking comming from the left side of the dash...it was 1 of the 3 wires that hook up to the dimmer switch...it was fuckin eating away the insulation and making the plastic bubble...but wierd thing is that it only bubles in the middle of the wire, the bottem and top are fine...now i disconnected all the gauges i hooked up and the wire heated up again and started smoking...of coarse the dash wouldnt light up...now i just noticed that the wires going to the cig. lighter are also smoking and eating thru the plastic insulation...

so to recap...installed gauges, turn car on and all lights dim (gauge cluster and gauges), then smoking arises from cig lighter wires and dash dimmer knob...when i disconnect gauges, problem persists....also it only happens when i connect the dimmer light harness into the plug...if i disconnect it from the plug...nothing happens

WHATS WRONG AND WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?! :( please help me guys
What's Wrong? You have an electrical short.

What can you do? Fix the short.

:lol: :)

Seriously,

If the insulation is melting, that narrows it down to a problem between the switched or constant +12V and ground.

And since you mention it happens when you turn on the ignition, that narrows it down even further to the +12V Switched.

You have the wires crossed somewhere, or you don't have any insulation between two wires in close proximity.

Go over the orange and black wires with a fine tooth comb. They should NEVER directly feed each other.

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Zylo...and thanks for makin me feel real stupid heh :D ...na im messin,,,but just incase i did fuck up,,,and chances are i did :rolleyes: ,,, can anyone just take off their dash real quick...and look at the color order of the wires on the clock harness...i ask b/c i dont have a test light...thanks ..... OH OH also...either Zylo or anyone else...would running all my gauges thru that harness account for any of the "overheaating" or overload??? and please be eazy on me guys,,,im not an electronic wizz,,,just decided to do it on my own cuz it seemed as simple as it looked...thanks

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is true...but what i did was write it down on the diagram that i printed...i just wanted to make sure

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
TaBooLeH21 said:
thanks Zylo...and thanks for makin me feel real stupid heh :D ...na im messin,,,but just incase i did fuck up,,,and chances are i did :rolleyes: ,,, can anyone just take off their dash real quick...and look at the color order of the wires on the clock harness...i ask b/c i dont have a test light...thanks ..... OH OH also...either Zylo or anyone else...would running all my gauges thru that harness account for any of the "overheaating" or overload??? and please be eazy on me guys,,,im not an electronic wizz,,,just decided to do it on my own cuz it seemed as simple as it looked...thanks
No, the load from 4 Defi gauges isn't going to melt 18/16 gauge wire.

·
Captain Cool
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coo thanks again Zylo

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
just for the future, incase you get this fixed and decide to hook the gauges up...get a test light. It will work wonders.

Then just get fuse piggy backs..what a fuse piggy back is..is it plugs into the fuse block..and has 2 fuses in it..and on one fuse..theres a seperate wire coming out..This way you can have a seperate wire for the gauges and anything else you want to run off it.

Another positive of this..is if you do short something..it'll pop the fuse in relation with the gauges..and shouldnt spread to the rest of the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts