Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey iwas taking apart this 87 turbo with auto today i notice that theres 2 extra hose in the radiator... i try to traced where the lines go and it seems that it goes into the auto tranne...

anyways i was thinking of putting this radiator in my 5 speed turbo... but should i use it as an oil cooler?(or will it be to hot) or should i use it for power steering cooler?

or should i just stick with the other radiator that i have?

·
2,279 Posts
You already have an oil cooler, I would plumb it up as a power steering cooler. That or just drain and plug it.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know but isnt the cooler in the radiator bigger? or mayby im thinkg of putting/ using both for oil cooler...

cooler oil=high presure right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was kind of wondering about doing this also. The OEM replacement rad that I bought has the tranny cooler in it, but I did a 5 spd swap so I don't need it. I thought it would be neat to get rid of the stupid stock PS "cooler" and plumb it into the tranny cooler.

I didn't know if it would actually cool it at all though since it's part of the radiator.

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah... but it worries me because the possibility that the oil might heat up the temp of water OR visa versa

·
Registered
78 Posts
yea i have the auto radiator, too and was considering using it for an oil cooler. any of u 5spd swap guys done this? Pros?,Cons?

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
I would not use it for a oil cooler, if it cracks, you've got water mixing with your oil, and you'll be buying a engine... unless you like to do that.... but using it as a PS cooler, THANK YOU! Im doing that tommrow.....

·
TOO broke MK3
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
um but what happens if theres a crack and the ps mix with the water? wont it have almost similar effect?

i really dont want to take that kind of risk...

knowing my supra somethings bound to break when you least expect it...

·
Registered
249 Posts
PS fluid and auto tranny fluid are virtually the same.....

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Heh, yup, our cars use auto tranny fluid for PS.

·
Captain Hammer
2,020 Posts
Well, a powersteering system is like $1500 cheaper then a motor... so pick your risk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts