Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
jdm junk collector
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i have fallen in love with the hydro fan works like a cahmp but the water pump has crapped out. Now what? I know about the 2j option but then i have to buy some electic fans because a mechanical fan isnt going to fly in a cressida.What are you hydro fan jockers doing for replacement?

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
I think the 935 motorsports guy sells the waterpump used for like $50.

·
jdm junk collector
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have access to used pumps, but isnt that kinda like shooting yourself in the foot?

410 Posts
you buy the whole housing they are 100-120 you need a pully also buy that as well and you can use the 2jz clutch fan with custom shroud or go E-fan or if you want pm me for my old hydro fan wait nvm ill sell it with radiator on cheap bay dont pay $50 for a used one just shell out the extra 70 and do new 2jz

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
What exactly do you need, and when? I will be pulling off and replacing my hydro pump in about 2 weeks.

I'll B installing the US 2J pump/pulley/fan....

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
The basic jest of the situation is, ROPADOPA just FINISHED a 1JZ swap into a Cressida, they used the hydrofan setup that came with the Chaser, and he hasn't even really had the opportunity to DRIVE it yet... (it is a very clean swap too I might add!).

He wants to keep the hydrofan setup being the just went thru all the effort/trouble to install it in the car, and now to have the water pump fail within 10 miles after the swap?

I think that is why he wants a NEW hydrofan water pump if he can get one!

·
Registered
416 Posts
ROPADOPA said:
OK i have fallen in love with the hydro fan works like a cahmp but the water pump has crapped out. Now what? I know about the 2j option but then i have to buy some electic fans because a mechanical fan isnt going to fly in a cressida.What are you hydro fan jockers doing for replacement?
Rebuild the waterpump. Which side crapped out? The hydro side is basically a PS pump, and can probably be reconditioned in the same way. The waterpump side is very easy to rebuild. I did mine in about 30 min in my garage and it has run problem free for over a year.

If its leaking coolant, its probably the seal, PM me and ill see if i can dig up the part numbers needed to rebuild the pump. A proper rebuild is ~$300 because the center housing is usually scored and needs replacing.

To purchase a new hydro pump from champion will run you a hair over $800. That being said, i wouldnt change out the hydro fan.

·
jdm junk collector
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks anorexicpoodle im glad you caught on i sent you a PM, For the others i
don't want a used unit as I have a few. I just don't want to replace it with another used unit to only have to change it again. I also know the price from Toyota AKA Jeff Watson I was just looking for an alternative.

If its rebuildable that would be excellent and if I have success I will be glad to share it as it seems there will be a few more failures as I noticed quite a few people liking the hydro fan set up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
ROPADOPA said:
Thanks anorexicpoodle im glad you caught on i sent you a PM, For the others i
don't want a used unit as I have a few. I just don't want to replace it with another used unit to only have to change it again. I also know the price from Toyota AKA Jeff Watson I was just looking for an alternative.

If its rebuildable that would be excellent and if I have success I will be glad to share it as it seems there will be a few more failures as I noticed quite a few people liking the hydro fan set up.
Youve got PM

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
There are tons of used ones for sale.

Currently, I have 3 for sale. Including 1 that is so clean it looks like it came new out of the box. So many people are ditching the hydro now, that is much easier to find a unit versus 2 years ago.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
I have plenty of Used hydro fan pumps. They all work. When mine went out i put a used one in, two years later and over 50,000 miles no issues.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
There are tons of used ones for sale.

Currently, I have 3 for sale. Including 1 that is so clean it looks like it came new out of the box. So many people are ditching the hydro now, that is much easier to find a unit versus 2 years ago.
Put in my USDM waterpump & housing today.... add 1 more hydro pump to the availability list ;-)

·
jdm junk collector
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well,we rebuilt the water pump, thanks to the part number 16104-46030 seal set water pump from anorexicpoodle

20 somthing bucks and its hanginmg in there,

long live the hydro fan you bastards

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
^^ That's very kewl that it's worked out that way. I remember the "early days" of swapping when that would have U dead in the water for a very long time. Good deal!!

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
I still have the custom high pressure hose from the hydro fan that I had made. It's a very nice piece if anyone's interested....$30. I also have the fan itself as well, I'd sell them both together for $50.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts