Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a thread before I posted about how I was told that the hydrofan somehow cools the oil. Something like the coolant that goes to it also runs along oil and acts as somewhat of an oil cooler. I've read that an oil cooler isn't exactly wise for a 1jz because it lowers oil pressure, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have an electric fan from my 7m, it's a zirgo 3300cfm, and there's no doubt in my mind that it flows enough air. The question is that if what I was told was true about the hydrofan cooling the oil, if I run the efan on my 1jz, what do I do about the oil? Run an oil cooler (Always hear they lower oil pressure..)? Is it needed or is what I was told not true?

:dunno:

tia

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
If you have access to a hydro fan setup, USE IT.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
The hydrofan doesn't cool the oil directly.. lol it cools the radiator which cools the coolant which cools the factory oil cooler that 'cools' the oil by passing coolant through it..

but no the hydrofan doesn't cool the oil..

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Lil rundown:

The hydraulic fan is operated by power steering fluid. The belt driven water pump, also pumps PS fluid through the fan. The more pressure the fluid is under, the faster the fan spins. A solenoid operated by a small ecu determines the pressure. So you end up with a smooth quiet fan that flows tons of air and does not draw as much power as say a clutch fan or electric fan.

The fluid that runs through fan has it's own cooler, very important. The fan, of course, cools the coolant supply through the radiator.

On to the oil. The oil is pumped through a cooler attached at the oil filter base. Water is pumped through the oil cooler. Of course, the cooler the water, the cooler the oil, to some extent. The oil is always a fair bit more hot then the water.

An extra oil cooler is still a good idea. The OEM radiator and even the KOYO sometimes can't keep with all that oil cooling. High revs, twin turbo cooling, and poor air flow in the front will get the oil temperature sky high. An extra oil cooler will be fine.

Don't listen to people that don't have 1Js, I have heard all kinds of crazy stories from people who thought they knew something about 1J.

So in short, the hydraulic fan is in no way related to the oil. You can run an e-fan if you want. However, you will not enjoy the multi speed operation of the hydraulic fan. Your fan will be on or off.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Yeah, and it's pimp having a bottle in the engine compartment labelled "Fan Fluid" haha. Sounds along the same line as a muffler bearing.

Seriously though, I have a fully working hydro fan setup if you need pics of how it's connected up. I would highly suggest going with the hydro fan.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Hydro fan is the best fan I have ever used / seen in a car. I can honestly say, then when I had a 7m I used to always worry about overheating in hot weather and long drives and hills. Especially overheating had become so common as evidenced by so many threads.

A few weeks ago, I drove my 1jz in 100+degrees for a 2 hour drive with a couple of steep hills almost 3-4 miles uphills., and that needle did not move..from normal postion.
I had the best drive in a Supra in a long time : ) but ofcourse the heatsoak took over.. lol

But yeah, if you can, use the Hydro setup.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
annoyingrob said:
Yeah, and it's pimp having a bottle in the engine compartment labelled "Fan Fluid" haha. Sounds along the same line as a muffler bearing.

Seriously though, I have a fully working hydro fan setup if you need pics of how it's connected up. I would highly suggest going with the hydro fan.
that never gets old.

:: pops hood :: "why do you have two power steering resevoirs?" :gaysex:

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
The hydrofan works too good!!!! I always have all kinds of dirt and sand everywhere because it works so good, it sucks up dirt from the road and spreads it all over my motor.....lol

I actually loved that fan, but after the waterpump failed, I just swapped over to a 2J waterpump and pulley, and got a sweet BeCool twin electric fan that actually does outflow the fluid fan.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
pituala said:
The hydrofan works too good!!!! I always have all kinds of dirt and sand everywhere because it works so good, it sucks up dirt from the road and spreads it all over my motor.....lol

I actually loved that fan, but after the waterpump failed, I just swapped over to a 2J waterpump and pulley, and got a sweet BeCool twin electric fan that actually does outflow the fluid fan.

lol, Now that explains the dust....Yeah..I think you will be extremely happy with the hydro fan. Wise choice.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Just to point out also, I spent $500 on my set up, the new 2J pump, the new 2J pulley, the 2 Barry Grant heavy duty relays, and the BeCool twin fans. Well worth it IMO if you're stepping away from the hydro fan.

·
kaizen Motorsports
1,405 Posts
If you like to overheat use the E-fans, if you like to stay cool, use the Hydro fan! If you run E-fan then you must not have AC, try running the AC and E-fans in 90+ degree heat and let me know how it does!

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Hmm, it works perferctly. As a matter of fact, I have it set up to where 1 fan turns when the a/c is not on and the 2n fan kicks on with the a/c or if the temps start running hot.

All e fans are not the same. :rolleyes:

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Maybe our humidity adds a cooling effect....lol

We use this same exact fan that I have in my car in a '79 Camaro with a 700 cubic inch (that's 11 liters for you metric guys) big block chevy putting down 1500rwhp on motor (15:1 compression) with a 600 shot of 3 stage nitrous on it, and these fans hold their own.

Really cleaned up the engine bay too, no reservoir, no criss-crossing hoses, 1 less oil cooler, and less clutter.

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
The real test for any fans is long slow inclines, aka the mountains. It might work fine down the strip or at the dyno, but a 25 minute climb will be the test.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts