Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/10/spy-shots-hyundais-rwd-coupe/

Hyundai is about to be a very hot brand, and the biggest log on the fire will be its upcoming rear-wheel-drive BH platform that will spawn the Genesis luxury sedan, a long-wheelbase Genesis model, a Kia version of the Genesis, a possible pickup, and a groundbreaking (for Hyundai) rear-wheel-drive coupe that we previewed with a rendering last month. Like all the BH variants, the RWD coupe from Hyundai will be available with Hyundai's new Tau V8 that's capable of producing well over 300 horsepower. Well kiss our grits, but somebody actually found a development mule of the rear-wheel-drive coupe being loaded (or unloaded) at port somewhere in the world.

We've found countless people out there referring to this car as the 2009 Tiburon. It certainly well could be, but we know of no hard evidence that Hyundai will actually move the Tib upmarket by transferring the name to this RWD coupe. In fact, we don't think it's a smart idea at all, as the Tiburon name doesn't have the upmarket cachet to go up against the likes of other entry-level luxury sport coupes like the Infiniti G37 and BMW 335i coupe (Wow, did we just say that?). Plus, we doubt Hyundai's myopic desire to one day be a full-line automaker would allow it to abandon the front-wheel drive coupe segment altogether.

We're actually surprised how similar this development looks to the rendering produced for Winding Road. Of course, the covering obscures the view, but one can definitely see similarities, especially in the car's C-pillar. The gallery also includes some interior shots, which reveal a snug cockpit that's definitely driver oriented in the layout of its controls.

Armed with these images, we have to ask, how is Hyundai's coupe shaping up? If it arrives on our shores as a true G37 competitor for the price of a Mustang, then Hyundai could have a big hit on its hands.

·
Saved
643 Posts
I actually love the looks of the newest model Tiburons, but was always a little weary due to the FF layout. With a transition like this, they should be improving their image vastly. Now if only Honda would change up their drivetrains a little.

Josh

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
One huge round of an applause for Hyundai tackling, style, fit/finish, dependability, refinement, and performance so fast.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Like the look of the new Santa Fe. Should be interesting to see once it comes out, not sure how much long the Hyundia stigma is going to last. I still have it. My parents bought the very first Sonata. What a pile of crap that was.

Sam

·
Registered
504 Posts
....my wife use to have accent... biggest POS on the planet, and they DONT back up thier warranty. its been a few years so maybe thier bettter now but god damn was that thing a pile of crap.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
In the pics it's actually a turbo 4 cylinder. I can only assume that is because the Korean market will not have the v6 or v8.

interior looks nice

I just want to see it without the cladding. Hopefully it looks like that concept pic.

Alex

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
Hyundai has been moving up the past maybe 4 years. I'm still expecting great things from them

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Looks like a RWD tib... but it would be interesting to see how the V8 works out.

Hyundai has grown by leaps and bounds in terms of quality. They've really become impressive.

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
The overall shape of the car looks very aggressive. It will only sell well if the price is good. Hyundai's aren't accepted well in the U.S., I believe only in most asian markets.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Like the look of the new Santa Fe. Should be interesting to see once it comes out, not sure how much long the Hyundia stigma is going to last. I still have it. My parents bought the very first Sonata. What a pile of crap that was.

Sam
I love the new Santa Fe. Great looking car and the price is incredible!

·
Registered
396 Posts
The overall shape of the car looks very aggressive. It will only sell well if the price is good. Hyundai's aren't accepted well in the U.S., I believe only in most asian markets.
I think that perception will slowly change since the big american car makers won' t be coming back in a jiffy. Then the choices are really stacked between the europeans, japanese and koreans.

I am impressed at Hyundai's progress, in 10 years they have come from making shitty crap cars in the 1990s to somewhat less crappy cars in the 2000s.

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
I think that perception will slowly change since the big american car makers won' t be coming back in a jiffy. Then the choices are really stacked between the europeans, japanese and koreans.

I am impressed at Hyundai's progress, in 10 years they have come from making shitty crap cars in the 1990s to somewhat less crappy cars in the 2000s.
I agree that Hyundai has made huge strides in their newer model cars. However, It will stil take quite sometime for them to play with the big boys (not including american). The reason is the average consumer is not well informed and still see the hyundai as a POS. The only ones who are really interested are the budget people who just want a car with a long warranty that doesn't cost a nut. I will be surprised to see this Hyundai sports car sell well (remmeber what happened to the tiburon...)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts