Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys can anyone let me know how can I set my engine timing of my 2jzge I accidentally took the distributor off without realizing I’ll be in such big trouble
I tried to get it on timing but still no luck
I already tried to align the crank to 0 and cams to the factory position and distributor on 1st cylinder but still wouldn’t start any other ways I can set it on timing ? Some pictures would be much appreciated
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well first off that is a 7m, not a 2jz. Second you need to confirm you are at TDC by removing the number 1 spark plug. People do just slap cam gears on sometime with no regard for whether they are correct or not. Also you have completely roll the engine over twice sometimes to achieve TDC regardless of what the marks say because its a four stroke. Your rotor could simply be out of phase because you are on the wrong stroke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first off that is a 7m, not a 2jz. Second you need to confirm you are at TDC by removing the number 1 spark plug. People do just slap cam gears on sometime with no regard for whether they are correct or not. Also you have completely roll the engine over twice sometimes to achieve TDC regardless of what the marks say because its a four stroke. Your rotor could simply be out of phase because you are on the wrong stroke.
The cam’s and crank are in position the engine just started but it’s popping a lot and has a rough idle is it because of a bad distributor or distributor out of timing if yes how can I set that ?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Could you be 180 out? If the rotor is at #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke you would be trying to fire the motor on the wrong valve events. Popping makes it seems like you are firing at TDC but the exhaust is going into the intake valve.

Have you pulled the distributor, turn the motor over until the #1 reaches TDC again, restab distributor, and try again?

I also have never timed a GE motor so I may be completely wrong on this.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could you be 180 out? If the rotor is at #1 at TDC on the exhaust stroke you would be trying to fire the motor on the wrong valve events. Popping makes it seems like you are firing at TDC but the exhaust is going into the intake valve.
That would be my guess. Or at least the next thing to try.

Sorry about the bad guess. Never knew 2JZs had distributors. Or indented cam covers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Have you pulled the distributor, turn the motor over until the #1 reaches TDC again, restab distributor, and try again?

I also have never timed a GE motor so I may be completely wrong on this.....
I’m on compression stroke TDC cams aligned to their spots and distributor on 1pole of 1# cylinder still having the same issue

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you have a friend you can get them to attempt to start the car. You stay under the hood with the distributor loose and see if you can twist it either way and get it to catch and start. Sometimes what your car is expecting to see one thing ignition timing wise and where the distributor is can be vastly different. If you are by yourself you can do it too. Just twist it a little and barely tighten it down and go try to start. If it sounds better going clockwise or counter clockwise adjust it a little more and repeat. Obviously then you need to properly reset ignition timing if it gets running.

You might be able to just pull a fuse or disconnect the power so the computer goes into a relearn mode but I'm not sure what you are running ECU wise. So that may ot may not be possible.

The only other things I could come up with is your coil or igniter. I know you didnt touch them but it is not uncommon to do work on a distributor and then one of them die.

What work where you doing that made you take it off?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have a friend you can get them to attempt to start the car. You stay under the hood with the distributor loose and see if you can twist it either way and get it to catch and start. Sometimes what your car is expecting to see one thing ignition timing wise and where the distributor is can be vastly different. If you are by yourself you can do it too. Just twist it a little and barely tighten it down and go try to start. If it sounds better going clockwise or counter clockwise adjust it a little more and repeat. Obviously then you need to properly reset ignition timing if it gets running.

You might be able to just pull a fuse or disconnect the power so the computer goes into a relearn mode but I'm not sure what you are running ECU wise. So that may ot may not be possible.

The only other things I could come up with is your coil or igniter. I know you didnt touch them but it is not uncommon to do work on a distributor and then one of them die.

What work where you doing that made you take it off?
I was trying to change the seals for the distributor it was leaking oil i connected the wires wrong and now I guess I found the culprit the ecu went bad because of few capacitorsc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts