Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t cared about my 95 us 6 speed 2jzgte in like 10 years. I need to give her a slight upgrade. I still run hks vpc gcc Lol. All I have is bolt ons with Greddy 78 mm turbo kit. What do I do for ecm. I’m Terrified of tuning . I can install, and I know what’s going on. Just hate computers. I hear good things about infinity?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, budget is the big thing. A good tuner should be able to tune on anything, but not all ECUs have the same capabilities or features.
That being said, I would never recommend AEM to anyone for anything. My brother has been a dealer for them for over 10 years, and it seems like at least once a year he has some issue with their ECUs on customer cars. Their customer service has also gone to shit.
I'm running EMU Blacks on two of my cars. Supra is cammed, but if you convert to DBW you can get a smooth 1000RPM idle, and you don't have to deal with all the IACV stuff. Also will have full traction control once the sensors come in.
People want to spend money on a built motor, or a huge turbo, but then get cheap with the ECU and tuning. Don't do that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haven’t cared about my 95 us 6 speed 2jzgte in like 10 years. I need to give her a slight upgrade. I still run hks vpc gcc Lol. All I have is bolt ons with Greddy 78 mm turbo kit. What do I do for ecm. I’m Terrified of tuning . I can install, and I know what’s going on. Just hate computers. I hear good things about infinity?
Sounds like an AEM Infinity or AEM V2 is what you are looking for.

I’m upgrading from AEM V1 to Motec M150 this year. Can’t wait.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was kind of in the same boat
Kept going back to old piggy back ideas

Finally updated to infinity 6
But I have to mention I went parallel
It’s a bat out of hell lol

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
Motec M1

M130 if you're keeping it simple
M150 if you are going 12 injector or adding lots of sensors/outputs

·
Game Over
1,217 Posts
Motec M1

M130 if you're keeping it simple
M150 if you are going 12 injector or adding lots of sensors/outputs

OP,

#1 is the availability of your tuner(s), and what they are comfortable with using.
If that is not an issue, then this gets my vote if your willing to spend the extra $$.

However, you can run out of I/O's pretty quick on the M130 if you ever plan on using up all of the I/O for what it's worth, such as DBW. If that ever happens, you'll need a E888 Expander to expand your shortage of I/O's which also occupies your only available Can-Bus. If you plan to run a Motec LTC (Can-Bus Lambda), that already occupies it right off the bat.

If you do this, you'll spend more $$ in the long run vs just getting a M150 which has more than enough I/O's, with 3 Can bus' by itself.

Also for licenses, if you are on a Non-VVT-i engine, and you have plans to switch over to a VVT-i engine in the future, you must get JRR's universal motorsports license to be able to run both engine setups. If you purchase a Non-VVT-i license, and then you swap a VVT-i head with a 36-2 tooth crank trigger wheel, it will not run the car, unless you purchase a VVT-i license (More $$$ to change a setup).

Planning ahead could potentially save you $$ in the long run. My M150 has been very consistent. It's been running my Supra very well, and I'm happy with it. It also has tons of room to grow.

Alternatively If cost is an issue, I've had great luck with my old AEM V2. Lots of available local tuners, fairly easy to use, true directly PnP without a jumper harness, and it has enough I/O's to run enough engine sensors to run a pretty good engine protection strategy. Great bang for the buck IMO.
The only issue is, the available firmware only allows you to run Auto trans control, or Flex fuel.

Either one of the other, not both, as far as I'm aware of.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
This sounds like a good reason to leave the piggybacks as is. To gain anything with an aftermarket ECM with no other changes (which is debatable), you would need a competent tuner close by. Otherwise, you would be just gaining a headache.

Al

·
handy with the steel
390 Posts
Haven’t cared about my 95 us 6 speed 2jzgte in like 10 years. I need to give her a slight upgrade.

After rereading your OP, I suppose the question we haven't asked is what are you trying to accomplish?

Your current setup, assuming you've got a Greddy T78 (what I'm guessing you meant by "Greddy 78mm"), should be good for mid 400s to low 500s on 93? Granted it is probably laggy as hell compared to a modern equivalent turbo, but many would consider that the old school Supra charm - so to speak...

Any idea of where you're going with this? Or just "more power"? If you're on stock fuel, it's going to take a pretty substantial investment to bump up the power much beyond what you are able to make right now.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
OP I get the stand-alone idea rattling in my lobe sometimes too, I would just replace the outdated laggy turbo if you are having an itch to spend $$$

I drove my 6266/HKS VPC/GCC installed 10 years ago to Publix last night for bread, milk and soda. (Yes I parked in middle of lot, a mile away from other cars)

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's terrible advice. Cap lifespan on these older ECUs is between 15-30 years and then they start failing. Adding a cheap 20 year old piggy back to that is just asking for more trouble and complications down the road if there is an issue with the factory ECU. Think about it as both preventive maintenance and a performance upgrade that also has safeguards built into it to protect your engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the computer hardware/software world has come a very long way in past 10-15yrs+
The DBW, TC, Antilag, PWM, fail safes, 2step, etc. capabilities of modern ECUs is worth the switch alone.
That's before you consider the vastly more robust & reliable software on the modern units.
The superior sampling rate of data you get with the newer units is worth it alone as well.
In the hands of a competent tuner your car will run better after the switch.

No I don't sell these things lol.

If you go AEM get the Infinity series (6+). All their other stuff is junk.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,253 Posts
If cost is no option then MoTeC M1. Otherwise, ProEFI 128 all day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I use ProEFI but not because a tuner in my area recommended it, because I researched what was available and it made the most sense for the cost and what was offered for that cost.

I also wouldn't install AEM anything on any vehicle I own. Seems to be a trend around here.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Not to jump on the anti-AEM wagon, but my only experience with it was a used V1, which had some issues. I can't say I recommend their older stuff. No experience on newer versions.

Currently running MS3-Pro, and am quite happy with the performance, driveability (room for improvement in the tune there, but that's on me), the engine protection options (quite fast reacting, in my experience with a blown wastegate line!), as well as the options for input and output. Your needs may vary.

Either way, if you haven't paid much attention in the last decade, you're in for a treat. Modern aftermarket performance has really come a long way in that time. I have a tiny Garrett G25 turbo on my car that's capable of over 600hp, yet it spools like stock. We have fuel systems these days that can flow absurd rates, yet modern ecu options that can make them idle like stock. Tires that can let you hook up in ways that would have been impossible for a street tire just a decade or two ago. The list goes on... :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not to jump on the anti-AEM wagon, but my only experience with it was a used V1, which had some issues. I can't say I recommend their older stuff. No experience on newer versions.

Currently running MS3-Pro, and am quite happy with the performance, driveability (room for improvement in the tune there, but that's on me), the engine protection options (quite fast reacting, in my experience with a blown wastegate line!), as well as the options for input and output. Your needs may vary.

Either way, if you haven't paid much attention in the last decade, you're in for a treat. Modern aftermarket performance has really come a long way in that time. I have a tiny Garrett G25 turbo on my car that's capable of over 600hp, yet it spools like stock. We have fuel systems these days that can flow absurd rates, yet modern ecu options that can make them idle like stock. Tires that can let you hook up in ways that would have been impossible for a street tire just a decade or two ago. The list goes on... :)
Indeed, we're in a golden age of reliable high HP streetcars.
Setups that were a dream 10yrs ago are now offered as off the shelf packages w/a couple week turn around time by reputable shops.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree 100%
The ability to swap parts between chassis now with all of the adapter kits now, and the great advances by stand alone ECU makers has made it great. My brother and I have half a dozen different engine/transmission/chassis swaps we both want to do, and they're all different manufacturer combos.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts