Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . .unless its the one thing I am dreading, broken seals!

Anyway,

I did a boost leak test (pressurizing the intake)and I seems that my HKS SS BOV is leaking and I can't seem to figure out where it is leaking from, have any of you guys ever had any experience with this?

I have a crank case ventilation filter and oil-can and it seems to leak here as well. I hear air flowing out of the filter! This should definately not be happening right? Could it be my seals? How much to fix? I already replaced the PCV valve! Well after I found this leak I capped off the crankcase vent and that was when I noticed the BOV leaking also.

I just want to beable to maintain my torque through out the higher RPM and this boost leak stuff is killing me. (i know thats what everyone else wants as well)

·
3,148 Posts
Supra's will typically not hold 18+ psi to redline, so the hp and torque drop off. What make you think your car is not running right?

Later, Steve

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard many people doing boost leak tests with a filled air tank and pressurizing the intake while monitoring the boost guage and listening and finding air leaks. People have told me that I should or my car should be able to maintain 25-30 psi for 10 minutes under the boost test. I can get mine up to ~20psi but it falls down relatively quick, after 2 minutes its down to 0 again!

People also said that I should not ever see or hear a leak coming out of the crank case vent, but I am, and in addition when I capped that spot and tried to check for additional leaks I heard air coming from the bov (HKS SS BOV).

Do you think that this boost leak test is valid? I initially did the test because some days I feel great response out of my car (tap on gas and feel great torque) and other days it feels like it is lacking torque. I know you get used to the torque but I can definately feel a difference and know that there is a difference there and that its not just in my head! About 1 out of 7 times driving I get the great response feel and this has happened in warm and cold climates.

I do not think that my car is running terribly bad, I still scare the shit out of my friends when they are in the passenger seat but when I experience the car runing really, really good one out of seven times driving it, it makes me wonder and bestows a little greed into myself and I end up wanting this response all the time!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I know exactly how you feel chester. My car always pulls really well, but sometimes it just RIPS and I mean hard! It seems like 50 more HP or something. Then it just goes back to feeling normal and I want the other performance all the time. I just performed a Compression test last night to make sure everytning was cool there, and all was good. This weekend, I'm going to do the boost leak check to see what going on there. What was the method you used for the test. Exact details would help.

Thanks,

Ryan

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything you need is in Home Depot on the same isle except for the air tank that I got at Walmart for $15. Fill the air tank up at a gas station. Buy a 3" PVC rubber cap that comes with a clamp! Buy ten feet of hose with brass connectors for both end, one brass connector is screws into the air tank with the other end connected to the hose while the other connector is connected to the oposite end of the hose and hear is the tricky part, punch a small hole in the PVC rubber cap and seal w/silicone the brass peice into this. Now you will be able to create a air tight test. I got to get outta work right now but I can finish or explain more tomorrrow morning! I hope this gives you a good picture in your head. The hose I bought was see-through rubber hose! There are other ways to jerry rif a setup, but I think this is the best way!

·
500Rwhp+ Club Member
270 Posts
I don't understand this at all...

One intake valve would be open at one given time and you would never hold pressure for that long?
or are you leaving the air tank open and looking for leaks and you will loose the tank in above message time?

Where are you putting the rubber connection?

I'd love to test my car for air leaks

John Reaume

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John Reaume said:
I don't understand this at all...

One intake valve would be open at one given time and you would never hold pressure for that long?
or are you leaving the air tank open and looking for leaks and you will loose the tank in above message time?

Where are you putting the rubber connection?

I'd love to test my car for air leaks

John Reaume
I took off the intake to the turbo and screwed the rubber cap there. Then I did leave the air on the entire time. I put this post up here because I was thinking that maybe I was doing something wrong and i know that there are alot of peps out there who did this before and i talked with a few guys a while back and from what I know I did it all correct! However, I do ave some very weird leaks! Do a search and you might come up with some other posts about this test, it might be about two months ago!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts