Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not do any research at all, but I know for sure it does not cost $12,000 to convert this into a manual. I think I can do this at around $2,000.

R154 can handle the power it has. I don't need more power. It has too much actually. $2,000 for a manual option plus a nice wing in the rear, custom sound system, and that is all I ever need in a car.

Seems to me all these "aftermarket shops" are going in the wrong direction: 2JZ, tons of power, silly kits. This car needs very little to be awesome. Nice manual, drop it an inch, swap Millennia Entertainment system (delete the silly LCD display) for something normal, and there it is, a manly car.

·
iSPOOL
1,020 Posts
What manuals does BMW offer on their M versions? I would think an R154 would be a pain to make work in that new car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever the solution, I have no idea what parts (BMW parts makes sense like you're suggesting), but I would keep it super cheap. Paying $50,000 (that's a lot) for the car and then $12,000 for conversion makes no sense.

My plan is to wait 3 years, and see if I can buy this car damaged for like $15,000 somewhere. Then do the conversion and have a fun car for under $20,000.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bet there's an exact recipe to follow over at a BMW forum that's been proven and is better to go with.

Yeah using a transmission that's already used for the B series would be the way to go. Maybe even the S55 trans although its more expensive. The swap that was already done probably cost about 3k. A couple grand for the trans and clutch combined and then the small BMW parts like shifter boot and clutch pedal assembly. 12K was quoted including parts and labor with a 4 year warranty. If you can do the work yourself the cost would be quite low in reality. I'm still upset Toyota didnt do more to make the car respectable without everything being aftermarket:(

A 6 speed option, TRD or Heritage style should've been offered IMO. Launch Edition doesnt seem so special when you really compare it to the premium or base model:/

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Launch Edition is not worth anything. 1500 is not unique. Not to mention it is Automatic. Even Automatic MKIV did not really gain much value since then. It took 20 years for Quick Silver to get noticed, and that was how many 16 only? My Premier Edition in 1993 did not have much more than 1500.

If the BWM parts are only around $3,000 then that's the way to go. The biggest challenge is to marry the engine with tranny gear ratios, and diff ratio. It has to be optimal. Putting parts together is easy, but getting it perfect would require some calculations.

·
supra7
502 Posts
And what about all the computer shit that's gonna turn every light in the world on cause the automatic isn't there? I don't see the car being worth all this effort. Just no reason. But the z4 manual stuff should go right in this car

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,260 Posts
cutting into a 60k vehicle, just to make it manual? I mean few more $$ and you can have an m4, with 3 pedals and factory warranty.

If the demand is there, maybe bmw will offer Zupra's with 6 speed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
And what about all the computer shit that's gonna turn every light in the world on cause the automatic isn't there? I don't see the car being worth all this effort. Just no reason. But the z4 manual stuff should go right in this car
Codes and lights shouldnt be an issue because it's a BMW ECU that gets used in half their cars. Programming it for a manual 6 speed is easy if you know how to work with their systems. The gear ratio will be long though, 1st gear to 40mph 2nd to 75, 3rd to 110, 4th to 150. Changeable by the final gear ratio of course. In all reality it probably is best to just get an M car unless you think Toyota somehow made this Z thingy that much better of car

·
Blue Thunder
3,418 Posts
Toyota keeps making the SAME mistakes !!! Remember the IS300 fiasco ??? Had the creds to compete with the 3 series but was only offered as AUTO for years !!! Then they FINALLY put in a 5spd...only to have it be the weak sauce w55 !!! ARGH !!!!! I'm going w58 or R154 in my IS3.

HOPEFULLY BMW will put a decent manual inside this trash soon ! LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whatever the solution, I have no idea what parts (BMW parts makes sense like you're suggesting), but I would keep it super cheap. Paying $50,000 (that's a lot) for the car and then $12,000 for conversion makes no sense.

My plan is to wait 3 years, and see if I can buy this car damaged for like $15,000 somewhere. Then do the conversion and have a fun car for under $20,000.
If you want a fun car under $20,000 with a turbo inline-6.......put a used B58 in a used BRZ.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’d sooner buy an FRS than a MKV. They actually look nice modified, that and their value is already tanked. If I didn’t have a MKIV would be a bad car to swap. Thing is cramped though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts