Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year the PNW Nationals will be in BC, that is, Canada. That is like, hey, totally different country for many of those planning on attending. I looked around and didn't find a FAQ on crossing the border, or getting back home, so thought I'd start something as my first SF posting (was on SOGI before most of you).

Really, I recommend a passport. Certified birth certificate (do you really want to travel with that?) is OK. Drivers License is not OK anymore. Only other item good is a DD214, and i doubt you have that (I do).

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,923 Posts
Thanks for the info. I brought this up before and some people said drivers licenses were fine. that was a few months back though. are they enforcing this now? I have a passport so I'm good. No birth certificate though and even if I had one that's something I wouldn't carry around with me :)

·
Search
3,303 Posts
DrMike said:
Thanks for the info. I brought this up before and some people said drivers licenses were fine. that was a few months back though. are they enforcing this now? I have a passport so I'm good. No birth certificate though and even if I had one that's something I wouldn't carry around with me :)

As of about two months ago.. maybe more... a drivers license got us in... the people on the way back said they were amazed they let us in with only drivers license...

I had my passport (others had DL) and they looked at it and handed it right back, no second thought.

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
He's right, driver's license will not work and if your under 18, you HAVE to also have a signed "permission slip" from your parents/guardians. Birth cert. is the only way now along with one, maybe even two (can't remember), forms of ID.

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
I'm possibly going to be hauling an enclosed trailer with a 55 gallon barrel of race gas. Does anyone think I would have an issue passing through the border with the gas?

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
I just picked up the paperwork to renew my passport..

The race gas thing has got me wondering though.. I bet if the customs guy was a DH (dickhead) they could make you do some serious paperwork, or pay some serious taxes! lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can cross canada most of the time with just a drivers license its coming back into the US that is the hard part. Last time i went to canada they didnt even ask for my license. Just told me to go ahead!

However they do want 2 pieces of identification on the way back. An expired passport will work as well.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
If you want a hassle-free experience get a Passport. Otherwise you'll need at least driver's license + birth certificate.

If you don't have either of those two (or something equivalent in the gov't's eyes) it's a crap-shoot.
-Chris ...has traveled back and forth from Canada ~20 times in the last two years, but still less than Duane :)

·
4,923 Posts
For the North Bend guys, a belt buckle with your name on it will not work. :run:

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
If you pass through with a GOTMILF license plate, they detain you. :D

·
4,923 Posts
XCELR8 said:
If you pass through with a GOTMILF license plate, they detain you. :D
:rofl:

I was thinking about the gas thing too. I was planning on bringing over a few gallons but wasn't sure what they'd think. I guess if you're bringing 55 gallons I'll just buy some off you :)

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Unless I know for sure I can pass both ways on the trip without a problem, I'm not going to chance bringing anything that can hold me up.

·
4,923 Posts
XCELR8 said:
Unless I know for sure I can pass both ways on the trip without a problem, I'm not going to chance bringing anything that can hold me up.
good plan. I'm sure they have some up there too. maybe cheaper with the conversion rate?

are you heading up thursday?

·
4,923 Posts
quick said:
the exchange rate isn't very favorable in the US any more. Gas is more expensive in Canada.
dang. I guess I'll bring a few liters of regular gas also then.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
XCELR8 said:
I'm possibly going to be hauling an enclosed trailer with a 55 gallon barrel of race gas. Does anyone think I would have an issue passing through the border with the gas?
You shouldn't have a problem. I have carried race gas many times across the border without any issues. Just tell them what you use it for and be honest.

You will need a Birth certificate or passport. They are not THAT strict just yet. I travel back and forth every weekend. Also just tell them that your going to a Supra meet that goes on every year yadda yadda.. You get the point.

HTH
Duane

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
upgradedsupra said:
You shouldn't have a problem. I have carried race gas many times across the border without any issues. Just tell them what you use it for and be honest.

You will need a Birth certificate or passport. They are not THAT strict just yet. I travel back and forth every weekend. Also just tell them that your going to a Supra meet that goes on every year yadda yadda.. You get the point.

HTH
Duane
I'm suprised they even stop you anymore Duane.. I figured you would have a special lane at customs by now. :)

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
MattOneDime said:
I'm suprised they even stop you anymore Duane.. I figured you would have a special lane at customs by now. :)
I should have a nexus pass but every time I go to the border, I just want to get past that place. I hate stopping as I always have too much to do :) LOL The line up is a bitch at times.

Duane

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stirring the pot a little more (or a warning), be aware that if you have had a conviction that is considered a felony in Canada in the past 10 years (example, a DUI which is not a felony in the USA), Canada may not let you in (not picking on Canada, the USA has equally stupid rules).

Details here http://www.tiac-aitc.ca/english/customsandborders.asp

BTW, the US and Canadian "criminal" databases are NOT linked, so a DUI in the USA 7 years ago (where it drops off the record) will not show up in the Canadian search, ditto one 5 years ago (not agruing morality and DUI laws here, just letting folks know - hint, don''t admit to anything)

As for the paperwork for crossing the border, the real issue is coming back to the USA. Until the end of this year, a WA Drivers' License (but not OR, long story regarding illegal workers getting DLs) might work. Or you might be detained for hours. Birth Certificate (certified, not notorized) or passport is the best bet. "A driver’s license, voter’s registration card or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship."

If you are taking any children under 18 with you, look up the requirements! Weird laws to stop child abductions. A frind of mine got hit by these until his wife faxed pemission for their kids to go to their vacation house in Canada.

Full details here http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/regional/regional_1170.html

FYI:
Alcohol
As long as you meet the age requirements set by the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can import, duty and tax free, one of the following: up to 1.5 liters of wine, or 1.14 liters of liquor, or 24 x 355 milliliter cans or bottles (8.6 liters) of beer or ale.

Tobacco
If you meet the age requirements set by the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can import, duty and tax free, 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of manufactured tobacco and 200 tobacco sticks.

I'll have my full duty-free allowance crossing the border (OK, not 50 cigars, maybe 10).

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
How much race gas can you take across duty free? :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts