Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is WOW, this turbo is mean, especially for how small it looks. I had tried one a long time ago (sp67 .7 p trim) and thought it was a POS, but it must have been b/c the turbo wasn't broken in at all. I only had it in my car for 50 miles or not even.

I just tuned my a/f to 11.8:1 (which is what I normally run around town, unless I plan on doing some long pulls, then I tune to 11.5 or richer), which is what I had my a/f tuned to with my previous T61 .58... and the sp67 .7 p trim required about 15% more fuel at 16 psi! More than that at higher boost levels I'm sure, but I didn't expect there to be such a big difference at low pressures. Obviously it's flowing a lot more air and you can definitely feel it. The car is so fast at only 16 psi it's unbelievable; I'm spinning/wheel hopping badly until the middle of 3rd. It's so fast that it keeps making me paranoid that the a/f might be going lean or that the timing is too high. But everything looks good! I dynoed ~487rwhp at only 16-16.5psi with my T61. This feels like it's gotta be at least 525rwhp or so!

This is definitely a turbo I would recommend... one of the best I've used yet, and it would be great for someone that street races for money (me) b/c it looks so small. =)

-Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just beat a stock C5 vette running only EIGHT psi!! At 12 psi I pulled on a porsche 911 tt. I can't get over how efficient this turbo is.. 18-20 psi was the absolutely lowest I used to run but now there is no need. Maybe I just tuned it that much better this time?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Sounds awesome....that's the turbo I plan to go with next summer hopefully :cool:

BTW, I think I read your old post. You were comparing it to your SP63? If that's that case, how would you compare the 2 turbo's in terms of spool and overall power? Approx what RPM do you hit full boost in the T67?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey, I've got one of those :D Can't wait to get the car up and running again!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Is there such thing as "break-in" for a turbo too ?

The Forbidden Supra said:
All I can say is WOW, this turbo is mean, especially for how small it looks. I had tried one a long time ago (sp67 .7 p trim) and thought it was a POS, but it must have been b/c the turbo wasn't broken in at all. I only had it in my car for 50 miles or not even.

I just tuned my a/f to 11.8:1 (which is what I normally run around town, unless I plan on doing some long pulls, then I tune to 11.5 or richer), which is what I had my a/f tuned to with my previous T61 .58... and the sp67 .7 p trim required about 15% more fuel at 16 psi! More than that at higher boost levels I'm sure, but I didn't expect there to be such a big difference at low pressures. Obviously it's flowing a lot more air and you can definitely feel it. The car is so fast at only 16 psi it's unbelievable; I'm spinning/wheel hopping badly until the middle of 3rd. It's so fast that it keeps making me paranoid that the a/f might be going lean or that the timing is too high. But everything looks good! I dynoed ~487rwhp at only 16-16.5psi with my T61. This feels like it's gotta be at least 525rwhp or so!

This is definitely a turbo I would recommend... one of the best I've used yet, and it would be great for someone that street races for money (me) b/c it looks so small. =)

-Paul

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Nice to hear that you're having fun Paul!! Now get some videos of that beast...it's been too long!! :D

-Olivier

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Midnight Hour said:
How the hell do you keep 8PSI on that turbo? When my AVC-R is off, my sp67 budget-kit boosts to 16-17psi easily. Is the external WG really that much better?
Depends on the spring your are running in the external wastegate...They make a variety of springs to accomodate different needs...

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've got the HKS 50mm WG on my setup (custom fabricated throughout) and it will hold 8-10psi no worries. Well, except that one time when my wastegate vac line popped off . . . :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greg Bielawski-
Well I think the two turbos should have been somewhat comparable. I think their max hp is probably within 50hp and I was comparing them at equal boost levels. Oh well, who knows. I really don't pay much attention to the RPM at which max boost is achieved. I've found that it really doesn't tell you anything. It seems as though many turbos hit full boost at the same rpm, yet they spool completely different. I'm pretty sure I was hitting 18 psi in third last night by about 3800 rpm, which is about the same for any turbo in the t61 .58 to t66 .7 range, at least in my car. This turbo spools much more linear than many I have tried. It's nice.

Enzox-
Some people claim there is no break-in period for turbos, but there definitely is. I've tried about 10 different turbos in my car and almost all of them felt a little sluggish and didn't make a lot of power for the first 50 miles. Also, some of them leaked a little bit of oil for the first 10 miles or so and then never leaked again. At 50-100 miles they all appeared to be fully broken in. Everything needs to be broken in, I don't see why turbos would be any different. Fortunately, at 100,000+ rpm it doesn't take long lol.

Olivier-
Yeah, I'm definitely having fun. LOL. My car has been running unbelievably awesome lately.
Midnight Hour-
I can hold as low as 4-7psi all the way to redline with my DE kit. =) When it's hot out, 4, when it's cool out 7. I dynoed my car once at 4 psi lol. It was making about as much power as a stock supra! I think a tiny bit less torque though. I have the dyno chart somewhere. That was with an sp63 or t66, can't remember now. Any external wastegate might help you, but it generally highly depends on the design of the exhaust manifold I've found. With my RPS kit I couldn't run less than 18 psi when it was cold out. With cast manifold kits most people can hold 7-11psi or so. It also really seems to depend how the car is tuned. I'm not exactly sure why, but changing the timing or fueling often has a huge affect on the minimum boost you can hold. I assume because of the change in heat (pressure) or the fact that more or less of the fuel may be burning inside the turbo instead of the motor. Running different fuels can have the same affect, since the burn rate and temps are affected. I don't think it's usually possible to have boost spikes if you have a good boost controller. I use a blitz DSBC which is the best one I've used yet.

-Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts