Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reluctant to post this, but here I am posting anyway. For the past month, my engine has been sending smoke from the exhaust side. I finally got to actually see the ATF cooling line dripping onto my exhaust. The guy I bought the car from pulled it from a junkyard, and it had that line sawed in half, so, he got a 89+ tranny (My car is an 88) cut the same line and put a hose on it. (I knew nothing of this at the time as I knew nothing about cars) My speedo has NEVER worked right, nor has my ABS or O/D. Well I got so fed up of seeing the smoke, I decided to change the line. I put a FUEL LINE ON IT LIKE A DUMBASS. I was driving the car down a BUSY canyon road, and I saw smoke coming from behind my car, so I immediately start to pull over, and as I'm about to pull over smoke starts pouring into the cabin. I turn the car off pop the hood and run outside to discover that the hose has blown off and my engine is on FIRE. My supra bud who was driving ahead of me pulled over cause he said he saw a giant fireball under my car. He comes running towards my car with one of his aftermarket floormats and starts to try to put it out. By this time four people have pulled over to see what the hell was going on. One guy luckily had two gallons of water in his car, and he and I doused it QUICKLY, but we didn't have enough to douse the underside of the car. So there we are standing on the side of the road screaming FIRE FIRE FIRE at every car that passes, until these landscapers who happen to work in my condo complex come by and lend me their fire extinguisher. I put that S.O.B. out. So now, I've replaced the whole cooling line with the stock metal one, and filled the transmission up, and it won't shift into 2nd or 3rd. It will go into reverse however. Also, my throttle cable seems to be stuck, so I'm gonna have to get a new one of those, I ended up just breaking it loose so I could try and drive it... A few of my grounds are fried, which in turn fried my alternator. Bad day for me... I'm in the market for a new engine/tranny. Anyone got a good A/T tranny 4 sale? I'm on a budget, so I'm not swapping to a 5spd yet... Anyone have any ideas why my transmission could be not shifting? Any help would be much appreciated... *I learn as I go* :rolleyes:

UPDATE:

On a tip I went to a pick-your-part on winton in Hayward, when I got there, I saw the 1987 Turbo A/T Burgundy/Burgundy Sport Roof on a forklift being taken to the back to get crushed, IT HAD THE TRANSMISSION I WAS LOOKING FOR :rant: I begged the supervisor to let me yank it out, he said he couldn't, I even offered to buy the hulk, and he said they don't sell chassis', So I had to watch it being mutilated by a forklift KNOWING that my transmission was in there. *Sigh* I went to every junkyard in hayward, I found nothing. I did find an 89+ with a low mileage tranny, but the sensor differences blah blah... and they wanted 250 for it, I said fuuuck that. I miss being able to drive my baby... My mom's buick is fast and all, but I can't drift/corner... Sorry, depressing I know... On the bright side of things, I did find a 1989 A/C Unit for 10 bucks, gonna list that sheet on Ebay!

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
um, just a guess, but maybe the fire destroyed the linkage? i would be under there check every sensor and wire if i was you to see whats good/what isnt good

<l><l>

·
Where's my turbo?
242 Posts
Dude, that sucks sooooo bad! Oh man, if my car ever caught fire, I'd throw my own body on her to save her!! That is not cool to read about- you just ruined my night (not really, but that still sucks).

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I just picked up a small fire extinguisher (for fuel and electrical fires) and I'm gonna bolt it into my hatch as a permanent fixture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sucks! I am happy you saved the car from total death.. well I just move fire extinguisher to the top of my list of things to buy! (maby 2)

Good luck.. I did see an engine for sale on EBAY as you are on a budget. Try and find one on ebay local so you can pick it up.

JMDigital

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your support guys, I almost wanted to junk her yesterday, but my girlfriend convinced me not to. Man that's why I love her...

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Sucks man, hope it all gets better. good luck in the future build :bigthumb:

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
toms_supra said:
haaha wow, im sorry to hear what happend man, but thats some funny stuff.
When I look back on it yeah its pretty damn funny, but everytime I drive by my baby and see how sexy she looks, then I start her up and she doesn't wanna run... I fried a ground and some wires, I'm just gonna take the engine out completely. I'll decide then if I want to do a different build. It really just depends on the damage... I KNOW my alternator is dead again... along with the starter... the transmission... ugh I'll just stop there, again thanks for your support guys.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
I've got an auto tranny (I have no idea if it's any good, bought parts car with bhg half taken apart) and an 87 n/a auto harness and ecu along with a bunch of other sensors. If youre interested in any of that, pm me.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(See original post for an update on my situation...)

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I was pissed as hell, so I stole some shit from them. *Whistles* Where'd this Master window switch come from?

·
TuneLord
578 Posts
well we all learn on mistakes....thats all i can say..
REALLY sorry with "loss" please update when u get ur car back on road

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
1988SupraDreams said:
Yeah I was pissed as hell, so I stole some shit from them. *Whistles* Where'd this Master window switch come from?
lol No you did not steal them, remember they charge you 2 bucks at the entrance? thats what its for .. lol

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
Damn, that sucks ass. I've had cars start on fire on the road before (freeway in january on my lunch break, of all things) and it's a bitch. Fortunately, I also was carring several gallons of antifreeze and I was able to salvage it, but its fuckin scary to see your car burning! Good luck on the build up.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
lol No you did not steal them, remember they charge you 2 bucks at the entrance? thats what its for .. lol
I stole A LOT of stuff though.. At least 200 in electronics. That fucking pissed me OFF. Since they wouldn't sell me it, they're gonna help me get the money to take my business elsewhere.

TuneLord said:
well we all learn on mistakes....thats all i can say..
REALLY sorry with "loss" please update when u get ur car back on road
Yeah you can be sure I will, with pics, I'm really anal about keeping everything clean, no matter what I do it'll look nice when I'm done.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
First try not to steal so much.

Did you check the fluid level? Chances are you could have messed up the transmission if you ran it out of fluid. Just make sure you get all the electrical squared away before you start driving it again. I am sure you dont want another fire. Good luck with it.

·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I checked the fluid, I tried running it on several different levels hot and cold, No dice. I only stole cause I'm gonna be in a hole after this, and because there was no reason that he could give me why I couldn't remove the transmission or just buy the whole chassis. Only place I ever steal is in the Junkyard, I have never stolen anywhere else in my life. I figure they're just gonna crush it right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts