Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1: The rubber hose from 3000 pipe to tb had a hole in it, on the underside of course.
2: the gasket between runners and intake mani had a 1 inch crack, it was bent into the runner and on its way into the cylinder.
3: first hose from turbo to intercooler had a 1 inch crack in it around the uhm, tightening ring? well the thing you can screw on to make it sit there securely.

After these 3 things were fixxed it drives like a dream :)

170 mph instead of 90 mph topspeed :) now thats a difference!

0-60 is not turtle-speed anymore either :D


Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
good work man lol... how long did it take ya to get them all anyway and how long before you realised you had a boost leak??? Glad u found them all they are ****s to find!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,772 Posts
170mph, r u sure it wasnt kms :scratch:


good job on finding ur leaks!! bet it made a huge diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wogboy said:
good work man lol... how long did it take ya to get them all anyway and how long before you realised you had a boost leak??? Glad u found them all they are ****s to find!
I knew i had something going on, the car spruttered and didnt pull hard anymore.
After a while it wouldnt even go fast, and it sounded wierd around 0 bar pressure. Anymore and the car would just stop pulling.

It took me 4 weeks to find (3 saturdays) I didnt have much time fixing it.

Fixxed the 3000 rubber-thing first, that calmed the idle down. but spraying start-gas between the intake runners made the RPM go up still. Had to wait for new gasket set from toyota so i couldnt fix it instantly.

Then i fixxed the gasket and it ran better, but would still hit fuel-cut.
I felt along all the pipes and checked the intercooler. At first we thought it was cracked.

Third try i pulled that hose and found out there was that huge hole in it. And that cured everything :)

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,772 Posts
SavageDK said:
Speedo read 275 :) thats 172 miles or so.

Michael

thats nice man, whats your setup? 170 mph is hella crazy :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,772 Posts
sportinct26 said:
dam does our cars even hit that? i only manage to hit that speed on my R1.

thats what i was sayin, thats y i asked wat kind of setup does he have, cuzz there is noway he hit that stock or even with some basic mods.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,167 Posts
I've done ~165ish in an 89T that was still on the stock turbo.. some weight reduction (sparcos) and an oldschool HKS PFC-FCON and full exhaust.
175ish is very doable with the 3.73 rear end. Us 87-88 3.91 guys can't go above about 155ish unless we've done things to raise the redline of the engine safely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
i hit 160 even tho it doesnt go that far i knew it was somewhere around there cuz i buried the needly for a while but i slowed down, its scary shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
SavageDK said:
oh, PS: next time i get a boostleak i sure know how it feels like and what it is ;)

Michael
i know you mentioned it a little but can you elaborate on how your car felt with boost leak? Mine is running like shit, when I push it (even a little) it will hesitate alot and wont boost much, it tries but nothing much, rpm bounces up and down. So basically my car cannot run above 3k rpms right now. It can make the small streets but hiway, no. The intercooler pipes look fine, checked and retightened them a few times. Ill go check the stuff you mentioned. But let me know if you thinks its the same as yours, right now im thinking its the turbo itself, who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
^ is your car throwing any codes. might be your afm
 

·
DRiFTT
Joined
·
991 Posts
around the uhm, tightening ring? well the thing you can screw on to make it sit there securely.
hose clamp? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supra_Dre said:
i know you mentioned it a little but can you elaborate on how your car felt with boost leak? Mine is running like shit, when I push it (even a little) it will hesitate alot and wont boost much, it tries but nothing much, rpm bounces up and down. So basically my car cannot run above 3k rpms right now. It can make the small streets but hiway, no. The intercooler pipes look fine, checked and retightened them a few times. Ill go check the stuff you mentioned. But let me know if you thinks its the same as yours, right now im thinking its the turbo itself, who knows
Well, at first it wasnt that bad and I thought it might just be bad spark-plugs. But they seemed fine.

It would stop pulling normally at around 3200 RPM and bog out a second then pull again, but not as hard as before

later it progressed slowly, the bogging got worse and worse and suddenly i hit fuelcut at 3200. Basicly when the pressure began to get positive it would fuelcut.

I got enginecode corresponding to "Incorrect Turbo Pressure" I was wondering abit about that for a while. But its quite logical. The turbo would just spool quicker and quicker to compensate for the "lost" air, boost would never rise above 0.4 bar (normal) so the wastegate wouldnt open. The air just vented to atmoshphere and created a very loud "WUUUSH". Since TB stood open ECU would push more fuel in creating a very rich mixture. Untill AFM saw too much air being pulled thru and that then lead to fuel-cut. I would shoot clouds of gasoline out the exhaust. It ran very shitty to the galon. It would also just puff out the exhaust at around +/- 0 PSI. Make a helluva noise but wouldnt accelerate.

I hope that explains it abit to you :)

Just diesel-start or some other start-gas to find the leaks. Spray it on all the intercooler-hoses and vacuum hoses. If idle raises when something is sprayed you found the culprit. but remember, you might have several leaks like I did.

Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wreckless said:
I've done ~165ish in an 89T that was still on the stock turbo.. some weight reduction (sparcos) and an oldschool HKS PFC-FCON and full exhaust.
175ish is very doable with the 3.73 rear end. Us 87-88 3.91 guys can't go above about 155ish unless we've done things to raise the redline of the engine safely.

I have no idea what the diff-ratio is on my car. But i would think its a 3.73. Its a Danish (european) model.

Mods are: K&N Intake, removed cat, different muffler. I am running stock boost level also.

Of course there is some deviation from the speedo to "real speed" and i probably went a few miles slower. i normally see a 2 mph difference from a gps from 40-270 km/h. The RPM at that speed is around 5900.

I think I could have gone faster, but the road wasnt long enough.

Michael
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top