Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my first one is that i recently installed 2 amps in my 87 supra. but neither of them worked. ive installed many amps before, but this was the first time i had tried 2 amps in the same car. i bought 2 kits from good guys for installing amps, and installed them both in about 45 minutes. when i turned the deck on, the light next to the word "protector" came on, but not the power one. on the second amp, nothing happened. i tested the second amps power connectors by tapping a screw driver on the power connection and ground connection at the same time. if it was recieveing power, it would have sparked, but nothing happened. im thinking its my postive connection to the battery because there is some crust build up on it. is there anything different about supras that might be the reason its not working? its the first time ive worked on a supra.

-whoa that was long
ok question number 2

my aftermarket deck does not have wires for dimmer/illumination. should i just cover them up? or is there somewhere to connect them? the manual(s) do not say.

im not really familiar with capasitators (however its spelled) but with 2 amps installed would i need one to keep my battery alive? if so where can i get a cheap one, cuz im kinda strapped for cash at the moment?also would i need a new altinator if i got a capacitator?

if anyone can help me, i would greatly appriciate it. thank you

·
Bert's Ban Club
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i dont knoe what u mean by call number, but here i go. the main amp is Boss mosfet rev765 350W x 2channels. the second is an MTX thunder 280. i used 8 gauge wire for the power supplies and grounds. i used gold rings connected to the + side of the battery. each amp had its own power wire and each with an inline fuse about a foot from the battery. i put one amp under the drivers seat and the other under the passengers seat. i grounded them to a screw that connected the seat to the chassis or whatever. for the remotes i used 18 gauge wires and connected them to the power antenna output of the deck as well as the wire for the power antenna. i connected RCA wires to the preouts on the deck to the Boss amp. the Boss amp has a "Line Out" palce to plug in RCA plugs for a second amp. so i used that to connect the second amp as well. i checked all the fuses and they were all still in good condition. the deck is a monster audio deck. i dont knoe the specs cuz the car is not here and the manual was in the car. it was like an AC-16 or something. cd player 45Wx4 channels.
i hope this can help

E

·
0 Posts
First off I?ll need a little info from you:

1) amps what brand and their call #?s?
2) What type of wiring are you using, please give me a detailed list of your wiring, from the batter up to the amps, everything in between, and the sizes?
3) Lastly I will need your source unit call #?s

Never test to see if you have power by arcing your connections, that surge of power can will blow your fuses if you have any, and or hurt your components.

Make sure you didn?t cross any of the wires along the way.

Supra is just like any other car, it uses a 12 battery to supply all of the electrical components in the car, where by power for your whole system will be drawn off of it. If wired correctly, 1 grounding point and 1 power source point, from there power distribution blocks will distribute the rest. Gm is the only auto maker that is becoming a pain in the ass, with their so called protective technology.

Yes tape up the factory ill, and do it well, because if you do not secure the factory switched 12v, you will get a short and will have no interior lights.

Yes a cap will help, this secures a constant voltage to you amp, will not kill your battery. The manufactured purpose of the cap is to cheat the not running 12v supply from the battery to a more usable 14-18 volts, as if it where, as well as preventing voltage drop. They were made for competitors who have to compete with their cars not running, whereby allowing them the voltage the need to get there usually very hungry amps running a little more efficient. The size of you cap is very important, as so is how you wire it. Quality caps just like quality anything are not cheap, put for you this way, you don?t go to the hospital looking of a cheap anything, you want the best of what you can afford. If you cannot afford save up a little, then do it right.

You?ll need a new alternator when you run enough of a current demand, to severely dim your headlights at low volume and or if your aging factory alternator is going limp. That or your planning to run high spl applications.

Answer the above questions & we?ll all be able to help you better.

Remember their your ears so treat them to something nice, that you will enjoy.
:p :p

E

·
0 Posts
By call #’s I mean the model numbers.

- Do you have two power lines running to the battery, or just one with a distribution block?

- Try to ground the amps to the same point other than seat bolts, the best ground is one that is clean and free of rust, grease and thread lock. What I am saying is sand to bare metal and drill out a new ground, snug fitting bolt.

- Make sure that your remote leads as well as all the other wiring is set up correctly, to each component of your system.
- You should not be using the antenna lead, because it does not work in the same principle as the remote turn on, unless specified by the manufacturer.

- Take out the fuse for one amp. Try dealing with one amp at a time, start with your source unit, and work you way down the line upto and including your amp. Start with the amp that allows the bypass of the rca for the next amp.

- Get a volt meter and start checking what happens when the car is off, on with radio off, on with radio on. Do this for your constant 12v and you remote turn on.

Most likely your problem will be because you are using the power antenna for your power antenna and remote turn on, the source unit doesn’t supply enough amps on its own for you to power up everything at once. If this is your prob, then get a relay and use resisted switched 12v source for your remote turn on.

Good luck and give us an update on you troubles,
Jakub

1 - 4 of 4 Posts